Gibson Brands Forums

Picture time

Tim Plains

@ rocketman' date='

I love your cherry LP and seinna burst strat!

I'll post pix later. I have to take some new pix. There has been a change in the line up and I don't have any recent pix of the new herd.[/quote']

Thanks and you've got quite a nice collection there yourself!

Great' date=' now I want an 81 Gibson Sonex. Thanks, damnit![/quote']

Thanks Izzy. The Sonex was my first electric. It's certainly not Gibson's best work but at the same time it's got a certain mojo to it. There's a (somewhat) interesting story behind it. I stopped playing guitar for a few years. Then I got back into it with the purchase of the '05 LP. I then started searching around for Gibson guitars and happen to stumble across this website. Seems like some people consider the Sonex a vintage guitar!

So I proceeded to check up on my Sonex, which was in its case unopened for several years. That guitar was my main gigging guitar since I was 14 years old and it saw heavy action 2-4 times a week for over ten years straight. It took a serious beating from playing. The pickguard was cracked, the coil tap hadn't work and the wiring was in rough shape, not to mention other things. Well when I opened it I couldn't believe my eyes. The guitar was in much worse shape than I remembered. The strings were rusted and all the metal parts, including the frets, had serious signs of oxidation. The neck was also warped in a torsional fashion (very bad!). Long story short, I lived in Texas for a few years and the humidity took its toll on the guitar.

I was crushed, but then I got determined. It took me over a month but I cleaned it all up, rewired it, replaced the pickguard, put a new coil tap in it, put Fret Doctor on it (wow what a difference that makes!) and had a great luthier fix the neck. Now it plays like it did when I was a teenager. She was my first and will now always have a special place in my heart. I'm glad I kept it...

Archived