Gibson Brands Forums

Thank you and Merry Christmas!

Cruznolfart

Thanks for everything!

My thanks to the members and mods for a friendly, decent place to land throughout the past year. I appreciate the opportunities to interact, to learn, to express my own opinions and ask you for yours. And I admit to being impressed with the spirit of this place, in spite of a few mis-steps here and there. What I've seen here at times has been a community. I've seen members share their successes as well as their set-backs; they've shared their personal pain and loss as well as their joys. They've shared their frustrations and insecurities as well as their budding sense of accomplishment and growth. They've shared their histories as well as their hopes for the future. They've shared happiness and anger. And a never-ending source of laughter. Through it all there is the always-there sense of community...a musical community whose members each hope, in their own way, for the success of every other member.

Makes me happy. Thank you all very much for your sharing.

My wish to you all is for a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year with family and friends. May it be sweet and memorable. And may there be many more.

Well... I'm still at work. The winter storm is just now hitting us and some folks out of town already have lost power due to lines down from ice, then snow and wind.

But I'm working on a "feelgood" piece about a baby boy born Dec. 1 literally on the ground along a four lane highway en route to the regional hospital. To quote the ambulance boss whose crew showed up too late to help - nobody knew just how fast this kid wanted into the world - Dad "played catcher."

Baby had minor hypothermia, but in excellent shape now. Mom's already back at work.

So... the miracles of the season, folks. Miracles of the season.

Have a good one.

I'll not be far from the computer since I'm working through the holidays, but - cross your fingers - hopefully it'll all be the "feelgood" pieces to write.

m

Cruzn...

I went over to watch them working on the community Christmas dinner a couple of hours ago.

We'll have probably 500 people there for chow over noon Friday. Some folks likely could buy half the town, some will be there to have what may be "the" meal for the weekend. Nice thing here, too, is that this time of year you really can't tell which is which most of the time. The ranchers may have come into town and stayed until plows get out... and may have been stuck coming in for parts or something in boots with dried green mud. Or maybe they just wanted to be with folks 'cuz their own families are far away. Jeans, boots and hats... Cold weather work clothes...

It's kinda unique, I think. Every kid gets at least one toy, again, regardless of family situation. "Kid" includes some folks with more than "youngster" years, but are what's now called "special needs."

I'm just a cynical, grouchy old man, but I never grouch about "having to" cover this for the regional daily.

A lot of folks in their 80s and beyond whose families are long moved too far for a holiday trip will come, and they often are there more to watch the kids get their gifts from Santa than to eat.

There usually are some families traveling through and see no restaurants open - which, of course, is exactly the situation - who'll drive a block off the highway to become sudden welcomed guests and family. Yeah, their kids, if they have 'em, get a toy too. Of course, some of 'em can't believe guys eating while wearing hats, but... what they heck, they're city folks and still are more than welcome.

There are rides for those who couldn't make it otherwise; some years upward of 100 meals are delivered to shut-ins.

A celebration of community, of Christmas, of good will.

So "work" isn't all that bad a deal, my faraway friend. I just knock on wood that those in homes far from town with the power out will remain warm, and that the firefighters and cops on duty won't have to do more than enjoy their own holidays. I'll "shoot" 'em, but I'd rather not have to...

m

Thanks' date=' Murph, right back atcha, compadre. And, if you ever get back close to the old digs, you rattle my chain and I'll ride up to see you. That'd be a real pleasure.[/quote']

We could see Mt. Hood from the front yard.

Back then, idiots didn't want to go "die" there........

?

Merry Christmas Cruznolfart. This place is a lot of fun, but I'm thankful because I've learned a lot. BTW, looks like we won't have a white Christmas here in Buffalo. We only got a few inches all December and the big storm in the East missed us. Buffalo doesn't get as much snow as people think...

Merry Christmas from Australia. It is very hot here right now.

Merry Christmas and safe fire-season, bro'. Fingers crossed for all of you. We lived through the Biscuit Fire...half-million acres, back in '02. Some of the hottest spots were within a few miles of us. 8000 wildland fire fighters and hot-shots camped a mile and a half from our home. It was a war zone for months! We were on 30 minute evacuation notice for several weeks. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

So anyway...Merry Christmas. #-o

We could see Mt. Hood from the front yard.

Back then' date=' idiots didn't want to go "die" there........

?

[/quote']

We get our share here, too. There are a few each Fall and Winter who find roads on their maps that go over the mountains to the coast. For whatever reason, they decide NOT to take the Redwood Highway but, instead, some obscure, barely improved Forestry Service road that's 2-wheel drive passable perhaps 3 months of the year. And that's NOT in the Fall or Winter. So they get stuck and, if they're lucky, someone misses them. Our poor county sends out S&R teams on the ground and in the air. The get found, rescued and lectured about being stupid in the wild country. Then our county gets publicly bagged for not having sufficient warning devices on the effin' roads...and taking too long to find the "victims".

Merry Christmas, Murph, stay safe, mon.

Archived