Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson "Train Wreck" series

NeoConMan

I would like to welcome a new member to the forums.

Dilbert is from Boston and came aboard seeking advice to repair, no, resurrect his Les Paul Custom.

Not trying to embarrass him or single him out in any way, but here's his thread if you wanna feel his pain;

http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=26170

Anyhow, that got me thinking about all the horror stories I've heard over the years.

People do some unspeakable things to their Gibsons, I've seen a few of these myself.

My dealer in Phoenix has a white early 60's SG hanging in the store.

I can't remember for sure which way the guitar started life - left or right-handed.

Anyway, sombody swapped it by drilling out the body and relocating the pots to the top of the body.

Flipped everything over and strung it the other way.

Well, they restored it to its original configuration with plugs filling all the extra holes.

Cool piece, but it certainly looks like a Jr. High wood shop experiment.

+:-@

Thad, the guy who used to own Precision Guitar (Gibson Authorized Repairs) was telling me about the

beautiful Les Paul he installed a Kahler tremolo on in the early 80's.

Not a customer's guitar, it was his own!

Hey, everybody wanted trems in the early eighties....

#-o #-o

Anybody have any similar stories to share?

This could be a great learning experience for everybody who loves guitars, especially Gibsons.

(We'll try not to laugh....) [cool]

I'm gonna try to dig up some pics of a few I've seen to post here.

What do you guys have?

Sanded necks?

Maybe a real '55 Goldtop routed for humbuckers?

Crazy headstock breaks/repairs?

Not a les paul or even a gibson... but my bands rythm guitarist bought an american deluxe strat and before playing it and giving it a chance to prove herself he went and "upgraded" all 3 pickups, drilled the pickguard for 4 mini lever switches that would let him take the 3 pickups out of phase and make them single coils (out of single sized humbuckers, so really thin sound), he then went ahead and sanded all the shine out of it, then he burned some parts with a lighter so that the finish came completely off in those parts. Then he continued sanding it. Sanded the neck, changed the bridge and nut to normal strat bridge and nut (6 screw bridge, plastic nut instead of the 2 point floating bridge and roller nut).

He now has bought a USA telecaster in hopes of "upgrading and hotroding" it in the same way.

What do you guys think? Should I ask Neo to send me some firepower to take him out of his misery? [blink]

Not a les paul or even a gibson... but my bands rythm guitarist bought an american deluxe strat and before playing it and giving it a chance to prove herself he went and "upgraded" all 3 pickups' date=' drilled the pickguard for 4 mini lever switches that would let him take the 3 pickups out of phase and make them single coils (out of single sized humbuckers, so really thin sound), he then went ahead and sanded all the shine out of it, then he burned some parts with a lighter so that the finish came completely off in those parts. Then he continued sanding it. Sanded the neck, changed the bridge and nut to normal strat bridge and nut (6 screw bridge, plastic nut instead of the 2 point floating bridge and roller nut).

He now has bought a USA telecaster in hopes of "upgrading and hotroding" it in the same way.

What do you guys think? Should I ask Neo to send me some firepower to take him out of his missery? [lol

"Upgrading and hotrodding"? How about we take him out of OUR misery!

Archived