Gibson Brands Forums

Slash and Gibson - just sayin....

bullet22

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmmm... I'd say it's an African American art form.

So true bullet22 ! The "roots" of rock go all the way back to spiritual songs, routed thru the Blues, which sidelined into Rock (and Country).

I'm gonna take this 1 step further though, and probably start a bonfire, with 1 simple statement.........

"IF Chuck Berry had been caucasian.........people today would be asking, Elvis WHO ?"

Just read someone in another thread saying the Slash signature model was loaded with 50 years of American rock n' roll heritage (etc).... Ok - go USA - Gibson rules n' all that' date=' but... (without wanting to invite tonnes o' flaming...)

- Slash's most defining work (Appetite) was NOT played on a Gibson. Fact.

- Slash was barely even American at the time (British born and bred)

- He DID however play a British Amp (Marshall) ok - it was seriously modded.

My point - maybe us Brits have more 'claim' to the whole Slash sound phenomenon?

I'm just trying to say something provocative and interesting - better than "got my new R9 today..."

[/quote']

Hello i am british too but some wrong facts there, he moved to california at the of somewhat 6 so he was pretty american though his mother is brazilian if im right. But yes was brough up in stockton on tees

Hello i am british too but some wrong facts there' date=' he moved to california at the of somewhat 6 so he was pretty american though his mother is brazilian if im right. But yes was brough up in stockton on tees [/quote']

He moved to the States when he was 11 - I think.

I'm pretty sure his mother is/was American.

It was Stoke-on-Trent, not Stockton-on-Tees.

Let's look at this from another perspective. I grew up during the 80's synth crap era. During the height of it here comes Slash playing good old rock and roll using a "Les Paul" style guitar while everyone else was using plastic. On top of that he brought the guitar back to the front during an era where songs were littered with layers upon layers of synthesized music. I could care less whether he played a real Les Paul or whether or not he belongs in the top 10 of all guitarists. All I know is that he is one of few musicians from that 80's who probably helped save Gibson and the Les Paul we all love today...

I bought the Slash Goldtop Gibson USA Model and to me it is one of the best feeling Guitars Ive played. If I could get that neck profile on another Gibson id be all over it. Can you send in a Standard from 1988 or so and have the repair shop get you that same neck profile??? Short tenon on the Goldtop, will that make a difference?

Let's look at this from another perspective. I grow up during the 80's synth crap era. During the height of it here comes Slash playing good old rock and roll using a "Les Paul" style guitar while everyone else was using plastic. All I know is that he is one of few musicians from that 80's who probably helped save Gibson and the Les Paul we all love today...

Good point.

I think we all know that it is the stove pipe hat that gives him his rock powers. I have it on good authority that it was made in Indonesia.

He's an old wanker. The stove pipe hat looks really stupid......

The nose ring thing is SO '80's........

Anybody thinking HE saved Gibson, doesn't realize I have a 1933 Gibson..........

Slash isn't even his REAL name.

Wanker.......

Wrong.

He plays ROCK - Hard Rock.

R 'n R - see Little Richard' date='Jerry Lee,Gene Vincent,Charles Hardin Holly...listen up,there is a difference.=D> [/quote']

Rock n' Roll, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal all bastard sons of Blues, all American art forms. Whether it's coming from the plantation or the arenas.

Insert next argument here

Rock n' Roll' date=' Hard Rock, Heavy Metal all bastard sons of Blues, all American art forms. Whether it's coming from the plantation or the arenas.

Insert next argument here[/quote']

Why back pedal?

If you said that to begin with you wouldn't have to correct yourself now would you. Huh...[cool]

No argument,just fact sunshine. Tell Jerry Lee or Keef Richards they play Thrash Metal and see how valid that little bit of info goes over.

As you said - bastardised,is correctly the word=unwanted,disowned.:-

Why back pedal?.[blink] [/quote

As I stated earlier with the Ali Farka comment

As you said - bastardised' date=is correctly the word=unwanted,disowned.:- [/quote]

Yet the whole world aims to imitate it.

Yes call me an American bastard if all I have is rock n' roll, hard rock or heavy metal to my name!

Yeah, he's from Stoke-on-Trent same as that pub singer Robbie Williams...

However, Slashed is worth ten's of millions of dollars, gets Gibson to give him shedloads of guitars & is probably getting blown by a pool in CA as we speak.

Can't play worth a damn but that's show business ;-)...

The guy is a hard rock icon, like it or not.

I doubt there is a single artist that played exclusively Les Pauls, so you can just file Slash with Page, Beck, Green, Clapton and every other Gibson sig model.

America made rock what it is, even if its roots are not American.

Bag on Slash all you want, but he has put out good records in a genre that is 97% crap.

Studying African music recently, I can tell you that much of the blues existed long before it became officially 'the blues'; after the African slaves were bought to the USA. I sense a reluctance sometimes in westerners to acknowledge the black contribution to modern pop culture. I feel sorry for these guys too; once upon a time they are taught they are not a part of the USA and segregated: then all of a sudden, because music looks a little bleak for the white man if they are erased out of it, a huge pat on the back is given to these 'Americans' contributions....

The influence of these African Americans cannot be underestimated and pop and rock would not be the same without them[cool]

Add them to the bands that changed the world like The Beatles, Zeppelin, The Stones, Pink Floyd, Queen, Bowie etc etc and you have one hell of a formula [woot]

Matt

Studying African music recently' date=' I can tell you that much of the blues existed long before it became officially 'the blues'; after the African slaves were bought to the USA. I sense a reluctance sometimes in westerners to acknowledge the black contribution to modern pop culture. I feel sorry for these guys too; once upon a time they are taught they are not a part of the USA and segregated: then all of a sudden, because music looks a little bleak for the white man if they are erased out of it, a huge pat on the back is given to these 'Americans' contributions....

The influence of these African Americans cannot be underestimated and pop and rock would not be the same without them[cool']

Add them to the bands that changed the world like The Beatles, Zeppelin, The Stones, Pink Floyd, Queen, Bowie etc etc and you have one hell of a formula [biggrin]

Matt

I wen't to Mali, Senegal and Guinea in 1995 and witnessed guitar players (as well as Kora players) playing music that if not for their clothes and language you'd swear it was Lighting Hopkins or John Hurt. The banks of the Niger River is where it all started, what happened when it came to new world is a whole other story.

I wen't to Mali' date=' Senegal and Guinea in 1995 and witnessed guitar players (as well as Kora players) playing music that if not for their clothes and language you'd swear it was Lighting Hopkins or John Hurt. The banks of the Niger River is where it all started, what happened when it came to new world is a whole other story.[/quote']

What the hell was John Hurt doing there?

Was he in character for his new role as a guitar slingin' blues player who single-handedly brings down the new Alien from the 4th. installment(not counting those 2 crappy cash-in wannabe's)?!

Cool![blink]

Hi Bubba (I love that name because I loved Bubba and his shrimp craze in Forest Gump)

That is fascinating!:-k

When I went back to music as a post grad a few years back I was excited to discover that a lot of musicologists now are of the opinion that a lot of the 'world music' we enjoy today, is many hundreds of years older than we had assumed. The problem (like with so much of history) is many musics existed aurally for hundreds of years before we could record via technological means or by simply notating.

What is obviously so much easier, when tracing the growth of classical music; is the written score! We can see a clear evolution of harmony and counterpoint from plain chant right through to the so called post modern period we are in now!

I am just astounded how many cultures the west sneers at, for being sub standard, yet shaped what we proudly claim in the west we 'invented'.

Reggae, Blues, Flamenco, Celtic music, Folk music etc etc are the real heroes, in the melting pot that created , 'rock n roll' or any other term used to describe some form of three chord music that I will call 'popular music' as an umbrella term.

In pop music that went beyond rock n' roll my two heroes are Brian Wilson's contribution to The Beach Boys- and of course the Beatles. The Beatles for me are my favourite because, as much as I love The Beach Boys' music ; The Beatles were far more open minded with their influences and broke out of the 'bubble gum' sound that seemed that to stay with the Beach Boys' music.

Having said that Brian Wilson is a God to me too though; I just listen to The Beatles and it leaves me amazed at how inventive their songs were and still are now by today's standards. Just how they could write simply so many damn good melodies, only God knows:-"

Matt

Rock n' Roll' date=' Hard Rock, Heavy Metal all bastard sons of Blues, all American art forms. Whether it's coming from the plantation or the arenas.

Insert next argument here[/quote']

hmmm heavy metal/heavy rock are 'American art forms' ; I would say the first heavy metal band was Black Sabbath from Birmingham, UK...near Slash[biggrin]

Not to mention these guys who changed THE WORLD

Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Ozzy Osbourne, Iron Maiden, AC DC (remember Angus and Malcolm were born in Scotland and the lead singer is a Geordie so we'll share them with the Aussies[biggrin] ), Motorhead (often called the Godfathers of Thrash metal as many say they were the first) Judus Priest, Saxon, Nazareth, early Queen, UFO, Uriah Heap, Whitesnake, Def Leppard, Cream, Budgie, Nazareth etc etc

Not to mention(although not metal; they were a huge influence on other metal bands) Led Zeppelin.

Metal and rock is because of the above; in my humble opinion of course[biggrin]

Matt

Archived