Gibson Brands Forums

Stand alone or all in one?

Silenced Fred

Depends on what pedal/multifx we are talking about.

I'll never buy a multifx from Boss again. Never. But I like some of their pedals (sd-1, dd20, loop station and tuner).

I love my vox tonelab, after getting it I really feel bad for having spent moeny on both the gt8 and gt10 from boss (tryin' to sell the gt10 right now and no one has offered more than half of what I paid).

I also love my single pedals, and have finally found those that suit my needs (after having bought and sold more than 200 pedals).

You can buy sh¡tty pedals and multi fx or you can buy great pedals or pedalboards.

TC electronic makes the best multifx IMO.

I am just wondering, I like single pedals a ton, the pedal board with the pedals I want will cost roughly a grand, but should be flat out amazing. I am planning on getting a Vox Tonelab for the USB function so I can record directly from there, should make the recordings a little better despite my ability [lol][lol]

I think for computer recordings and if you are an eccentric cover band, the multi fx would be ideal, but I prefer the stand alones. Very interesting....

I have a Line 6 Pod xt. It's ok but can be difficult to really use at times. My amp has built in effects so I mostly use them now. However , playing the the new vox muti effects board,now that is a realy nice one. I think TG said he has one. It's a great price too, $200 CDN isn't bad considering the POD xt I have cost over $350 .

No option for both?

I have seen the way of the Vox Tonelab. It has quickly become my favorite piece of gear. But then, I still have the pedalboard of the gods as a backup... [biggrin]

Since the Vox Tonelab, I gotta go with all in one though. It has changed my mind.

No option for both?

I have seen the way of the Vox Tonelab. It has quickly become my favorite piece of gear. But then' date=' I still have the pedalboard of the gods as a backup... [biggrin

Since the Vox Tonelab, I gotta go with all in one though. It has changed my mind.

I really want to try one out..... I am not completely sold on multi fx yet, I have seen to many people mess with them, the settings get messed up, then during mid song, there is a break down (and not a good metal one either)

My ideal pedal board would make people cry and would probably cost more than my guitar [cool]

I really want to try one out..... I am not completely sold on multi fx yet' date=' I have seen to many people mess with them, the settings get messed up, then during mid song, there is a break down (and not a good metal one either)

My ideal pedal board would make people cry and would probably cost more than my guitar [cool

I understand and appreciate your dilemma.....

100_1604.jpg

[biggrin]

[lol]

Now you started it ChanMan....

My pedal board that I will one day obtain:

Dunlop Crybaby Classic Wah, Lovepedal Purple Plexi, Russian Big Muff/Swollen Pickle, Lovepedal Amp 50, Memory Man, MXR Phase 90, A/B Switch, and I am sure there will be some differentials by the time I get them, and all of this will go into an Orange Dual Terror and the Sunn T50

[biggrin]

I don't know about the GT's there Thunder but I am liking the Boss ME-70 I have at the moment' date=' it has a lot of knobs that let you dial

in your levels quick and easily on multiple EFX with no menu scrolling BS.[/quote']

I used to own the ME50 and regret selling it to get the gt8... too much menu surfing. The ME series are actually nice, the best feature is all those knobs, you can dial the tones you want as if you had a real board full of pedals in there.

I urge you to settle for nothing less' date=' sir.

[biggrin

I don't plan on settling for any less. I want a Wah, then a fuzz, then any of the other pedals....

It will be amazing, cost me probably about 2 grand total, but I always say quality over quantity, I would rather save my money and get quality stuff first

I like single pedals because I can choose exactly what I want rather than buy a multifx unit where I like some but not all of the effects. And, if my tastes change and one of the pedals isn't doing it for me anymore, I can replace it with a single pedal.

I like single pedals because I can choose exactly what I want rather than buy a multifx unit where I like some but not all of the effects. And' date=' if my tastes change and one of the pedals isn't doing it for me anymore, I can replace it with a single pedal.[/quote']

+1.

I only use a Tubescreamer and a Delay/looper as of today.

Not to hijack the thread, or be argumentative, but I felt the same way Rich. It's why I have the pedalboard. But...

The ToneLab LE can pretty quickly turn on or off any effect... or be changed to work like a standard pedalboard even. It's been a pretty amazing piece of gear for me. It's a lot like Vox asked folks "what don't you like about multi-effect devices?", then fixed it...

To be honest, though, I'd need to make two points:

1. The LE is a discontinued model, I'm told, and I'm not sure I could get the same level of functionality out of the ST, due to the smaller footprint. Part of the functionality depends on my ability to slip a toe up and tap a button to turn on/off an effect... and for my shoes that takes a bit of room :-k

and because Murph's post made me think, and not just talk out my arse....

2. I've never gigged with anything more than the Chandler tube driver and an analogue delay. Usually, not even that, so I'm not endorsing any of this as a gig-worthy rig yet. What I'm doing, atm, is all in house and mostly geared towards learning how to record... very... slowly.... learning how to record.

I voted single just because of the simplicity. For the most part, a single effect pedal is going to sound better as a stomp box than as one of many effects in a multi fx. I admit I do not use pedals that often, but I used to have a Boss multi fx (the cheaper small one) and I thought it sounded like a cheap casio keyboard you have when you're 6. The only thing about single pedals is they get ridiculously expensive, especially if you're buying boutique stuff.

I like single pedals. I only run a handful of pedals, and they're usually off anyway. The chances of me liking every effect in a multi effect are slim. I usually like the delay but hate the distortion, like the flanger, hate the chorus sort of thing, so it's single pedals for me.

For now it's PT10 Pedal Tuner (I know it's not an effect, but it is in the chain), Ibanez TS9, Crybaby 595Q, MXR Dist+, Ibanez DCF10, MXR M-134 Stereo Chorus. Then out to two Fender Stage amps.

This rig has been gigging for about a year now, and it's getting more gigs for the new year. Things are looking up [smile]

Archived