Gibson Brands Forums

I hate Vista

ksdaddy

I hate it

I hate it

I hate it

I hate it.

With XP I could go into the temp internet files and grab youtube videos, rename them and then save them and view them with an FLV player. Nothing over 100KB shows up in the temp files now, even when I right click on youtube and allow them to use unlimited space.

I also hate the search function. If you search, it takes forever, then if you click on a folder to see it's contents and then go back, it starts the search all over again.

Windows 98 is antique but it freakin' worked for me. Things are going downhill fast. I thought technology was supposed to make things easier?

I've never had to fight it, but my limited experience hasn't been good.

I went from Windows XP to Mac, and have limited time using Windows Vista - it's usually looking up showtimes or something on a friend's computer. On the occasion when I've been asked to fix something, it takes me forever, because so much changed.

My mom had Vista for about a month, and it crashed and brought her entire computer down. Fortunately she qualified for a free Windows 7 upgrade, which seems to be much better. I still can't help her when she has a problem, though.

wow that is butt ugly! :-&

That's very sad... was my poor old dead mother's favorite car...the ONLY thing that she ever wanted....now you say it's "Butt ugly".... I can hardly type for all the tears....

(actually I downloaded the image off the web)

That's very sad... was my poor old dead mother's favorite car...the ONLY thing that she ever wanted....now you say it's "Butt ugly".... I can hardly type for all the tears....

:-&

I downloaded the Orbit thing. We'll see how that goes.

This is a hand me down computer. My oldest daughter bought a WalMart Acer laptop about 3 years ago, whenever they first offered Vista on them. It came with 512MB RAM and of course wouldn't run at all. She suffered with that for a year. If I had known it was a simple RAM issue I would have bought a stick. She bought an HP tablet notebook POS thing that would wake the dead. She did give me the Acer at that point. I put 2GB RAM into it and now it does function at least. I like it fine (no geek here). She's since bought a Mac laptop and loves it.

Edit: When I said I like it fine, I mean aside from a crappy keyboard, it does what it's supposed to do, even though Acers are the Squier Affinity of the computer world. I'm only crabbing now because I'm finding out what a pain it is to do anything in Vista vs old school. For years I used a '97 IBM Thinkpad with 1.8GB hard drive, updated TO Windows 98 from 95, 72 megs of RAM, and some tiny processor. Seems like everything ran perfectly; it was bulletproof.

Sad.

I used to have a Vista Cruser I liked!

800px-1965_Vista_Cruiser.jpg

LOL! I had one for awhile' date=' too. I inherited it from an old former landlord when he departed. We never registered or insured it, kept it on the farm and used it for taking the grands, then very young, out into the pasture and woods for "nik-niks!" (pic-a-nics). It was great fun in the evenings, sitting out there under the stars, listening to AM radio with the auto-search button. That thing musta weighed 2 tons. Love that ol' Detroit Iron.

[img']http://www.commonsensecentral.net/animatedgifs/carimage003.gif[/img]

...Windows 98 is antique but it freakin' worked for me. Things are going downhill fast. I thought technology was supposed to make things easier?

Scott,

Scott,

Scott,

:^o

There ya go trying to inject logic into home computing. Software is supposed to keep you wanting more. They never release the best they got, because you'd never want to upgrade, i.e. give them more money. Bullet proof? Feh! Obsolescence is the mantra of the manufacturer of goods to be sold in the USofA. Everything in this world is being Walmartized. Make it so it functions long enough for the purchaser to lose the receipt. Durability, Functionality is not a concern. Make it purty, sell it to the next rube, then kick them in the pants.

Operating systems since PS2 have been constructed for one purpose and one purpose only. To keep you from pirating copyrighted material, which most of what YouTube has to offer.... well that's their argument anyways.

XP does it for me... I have it both at home and at the studio and it has never failed me... I'm having a really hard time getting acusomted to Mac OS and to Vista... don't even want to be near a computer with W7 :^o

XP worked nicely when they got the service packs out and you cared for your computer. Why f-ck it up?

In a sense, Vista was to the PC what OSX was to the Mac - a totally different operating system. Mac went to Jobs' "NEXT" concept of a nice windowing GUI over a Unix base, my understanding is that a lot of Vista came from an old mini OS that most folks wouldn't recognize the name of nowadays.

Both Unix and Mini OS concepts were designed for multitasking sorts of stuff.

None of the old Mac software really worked under the new OSX, thereby making a pro purchase thousands of dollars of new software and even hardware.

Vista pretty much did the same thing to earlier Win applications and hardware, just not quite as abruptly. Also, you're right in that both Vista and Win7 are heavily designed to ensure protection of copyrights as opposed to what the user wants to do with his machine and some folks actually can do.

BTW, back in the good old days, companies copy-protecting their software installation disks ended up changing their mind when some companies didn't toe that line, and end-users quit buying the copy-protected stuff.

I don't know enough about 7 to holler one way or another. I do know that the way-different memory addressing in Vista made a lot of software, including especially AV types, a problem to get working. Dunno about 7, and ain't heard.

==============

To get to Youtube vids and download?

Get Firefox and the add-on Download Helper, available from the Mozilla web site, and you can download those Youtube FLV files quite easily, btw, without having to dink around digging stuff out of your temp files.

m

ROFL

Jocko...

Just emailed you on the Win thing.

Bottom line is that there are some calls that are made closer to the "surface" of Vista and Win7 and some operations that are closer to actually running the cpu. That latter is the big difference, not the higher levels of the OS.

Yeah, it's not as complete a change as going to Unix as did the Mac. In ways it's more like putting a different kind of engine and electrical system into a car, but leaving the controls in the car as much as possible as they had been. Problems then come because the radio is 12-volt, but the car runs on 42 or whatever. Then the problem is making all the electrical stuff work... etc.

It all "looks" pretty much the same, but ain't. The bug factor affects common stuff that in ways doesn't need to change until somebody figures a way to exploit it - like figuring how to make a brake line rupture under pressure. It's pretty much the same over the past 40 years in cars, in spite of major changes under the hood...

m

Yeah, Vista had the advantage of running a lotta "legacy" programs.

OSX originally had their way of running the real "Mac OS" too, but then with kinda two operating systems at the same time, with some Macs they didn't handle IO very well at all - the same problem as with Vista. Drivers, etc....

I get frustrated, but believe me, stuff is still an awful lot better than the olden days when I hadda mess with really low level instructions to get stuff to work. For example, there was Windows 1 and there were some "white write" printers that were better than the old Apple laser printer, but you hadda mess with drivers and fonts and... Even so, that was a bit easier and a lot faster than the daisy wheel printer that I can almost keep up with on a keyboard...

Heck, when I got my first 10 meg hard drive, it took lots of messing to make it work 'cuz it was a long time before plug and play. <grin> The old original Macs were almost impossible to do much on too, 'cuz of the tiny screens.

They tell me the major diff between me and guys in their teens is that I think the computer is super nice as a new kind of tool I took to like a duck to water; the young guys see it more the way I look at radio and refrigerators - stuff you use every day and they've been there forever. <grin>

Hmmmm. Come to think of it, when I was a really young kid there still was a guy delivering ice for people's ice boxes. And yeah, I remember we still had one in the basement that got used when we expected bunches of company. Told you I'm old. <grin>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icebox

m

Archived