Gibson Brands Forums

17 million gallons of gas wasted every year...

NeoConMan

From my experience, er.... that I've seen, people still overfill.

The tiny tank won't hold the contents of the funnel.

The tank overflows with gas still flowing into the funnel, so they whip the funnel out in an involuntary reaction

to avoid "spilling" any gas by running the tank over - and it falls directly on their shoes.

I wonder how much is wasted letting every Gov't. employee from local dog-catcher to the President, take their Gov't. vehicles home every day to be used as P.O.V.'s............

Some of this un-necessary driving might be curtailed IF they weren't using a Gov't. fuel card, to fill a Gov't. owned vehicle, to run the kids to soccer, and to pick up groceries.

I wonder how much is wasted letting every Gov't. employee from local dog-catcher to the President' date=' take their Gov't. vehicles home every day to be used as P.O.V.'s............

Some of this un-necessary driving might be curtailed IF they weren't using a Gov't. fuel card, to fill a Gov't. owned vehicle, to run the kids to soccer, and to pick up groceries.[/quote']

They don't let me do any of that. Official use only. I can't speak for other agencies but it's pretty clear cut where I work.

From my experience' date=' er.... that I've [i']seen[/i], people still overfill.

The tiny tank won't hold the contents of the funnel.

The tank overflows with gas still flowing into the funnel, so they whip the funnel out in an involuntary reaction

to avoid "spilling" any gas by running the tank over - and it falls directly on their shoes.

Sad but true. :-

I wonder how much gasoline is wasted waiting....idling....waiting to pay the trolls to cross the bridges? In the SF Bay Area we have 8 bridges.

Also, when traffic is bumper to bumper, and only the HOV lane is open, effectively they're reduced the number of traffic lanes, (thus increasing the traffic jam), by whatever percentage of the total number of lanes the HOV represents. That is, if it's a 4 lane highway, one of which is an HOV lane, the law essentially creates 25% MORE traffic...thus wasting more gasoline.... would make the amount spilled on your shoes when you fill your mower insignificant!

Problem solved:

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/maint_repair/parts_supplies/details.aspx?pid=WCA-225

I have a B&S auto-shut-off gas can and it works great. Haven't spilled a drop in 10 years. It's almost impossible to spill anything. You engage the hook on the rim of the tank's fill spout, push down and a valve opens up inside the can's spout. When the gas in the tank reaches the bottom of the spout, the gasoline absolutely will stop flowing. This is because the vent is in side the spout. When the tank's full the spout vapor locks. Lift the spout's hook away from the tank and it shuts off.

The EPA says worst polluters are the un-catalytic convertered small engines. The worst polluter of these are the personally water craft. They not only pollute the air, they pollute the water. The EPA said that Saturdays are the worst 'smog' days in California due to all the mowers, blowers, edgers, MX bikes, PWCs and various and sundry frivolously gasoline powered toys. Automobile exhaust doesn't hold a candle to these mega polluters... and they do it one cylinder at a time :-

Charcoal lighter fluid is another source of Saturday smog. Get a charcoal lighting chimney. I've used one for years. I timed it The amount of time it takes to get coals hot enough to use using a chimney is about the same as the amount of time it takes to douse cold charcoal, light it, wait for the lighter fluid to burn off and to get the coals to the same degree of white enough to use. And... your burgers don't taste like kerosene. [biggrin]

For what they get are getting for gasoline now, a spill proof gas canister would probably pay for itself. My 2.5 gallon can costs me almost $10 bucks to fill! :- God knows it hurts when I spill any.

I can remember a time when we used to clean paint brushes with gasoline! [biggrin] Those were the days, eh?

This post is freaking me out 'cause some of you cats that would never in a 100yrs promote it, are promoting conservation. Next thing you know you'll tell me you recycle and reuse.

I am waiting to hear Rod Serling's voice at any moment.

I'm a firm believer of fixing it until there's no more fixing. I traded in my Toro Snow Hound, ca. 1963 for a newer model Snow Champ ca. 1998. The old Toro's Briggs and Scrap Iron engine was still strong as an ox, but an idler sprocket had done broke from fatigue and there was no replacement anywhere on this planet, so I traded it in to a guy who makes a retirement living repairng and resurrecting old one lunger lawn equipment and some motorcycles. I suspect the old B/S 3 horse is now pulling a 10 year old kid around a cattle pasture on a centrifugal clutched mini-bike. Yup, my old Snow Hound, a box of brand spankin' new roller chain for it and $75.00 and I had me a almost shiny new Snow Champ!

I just put in a new set of cross auger bearings in my 'new to me' Snow Champ (aka K-Mart special bought up by MTD a number of years ago). I'm ready for the next snow storm.. Yeah Buddy!

My TV is older than my new to me blower, 1983 I think. My AMF Rototiller is a 1965 and my lawn mower, a former new kid in my shed a 1985.

My motto, "If it ain't broke, it soon will be. If it's broke, fix it"

Heh heh. I think you nailed it on the last one.

When I was younger I used to ride around with nothing in mind, no goal..... just burn a tank of gas on a Friday night. I haven't done that in years, but nowadays I let the car warm up a long time before plunking my butt in the seat. No way I'm sitting on anything cold. So it's a tradeoff I guess.

A few weeks back I made one of those rice bags you warm up in the microwave. My daily driver is an '88 Blazer with vinyl seats. That rice bag is wonderful on those seats.

For what they get are getting for gasoline now' date=' a spill proof gas canister would probably pay for itself. My 2.5 gallon can costs me almost $10 bucks to fill! [blink'] God knows it hurts when I spill any.

In Denmark, Europe, where I'm from 2.5 gallons costs a little under $20. ;)

Archived