Gibson Brands Forums

Best Song/Riffs involving a Gibson Les Paul

LPDEN

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry , I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's not Peter Green's soul in the 59 les paul that is passed on to the fantastic Gary Moore, nor is it Billy's, Jimmy's or Slash's les paul playing that creates the unbelievable tones we hear. After much research and investigation regarding the tones, the secret has been discovered, it's actually a Musician friend Rouge 1X12 10 watt solid state amp that deserves all the credit for this, don't believe me?, just look it up on the MF web site, or youtube.... Geez think I would lie about something like this?????..........

Another great one

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18FgnFVm5k0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18FgnFVm5k0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

My apologies for the rant that's going to follow, but this is one of my pet peeves...

As a big Thin Lizzy fan, I find it hard to believe how many people associate Lizzy with Gary Moore.

Moore played on ONE Thin Lizzy album... Other than helping out a couple of times (usually when Brian Robertson was too drunk/angry/messed up to do the job) he's not been as important to Lizzy's history as he'd like us to believe.

Even Snowy White played on more Lizzy albums.

Gorham/Robertson are the defining Lizzy guitarists. Both played Les Pauls at the time. They defined the sound of Lizzy and were at the core of the band's golden era.

Gorham gets overlooked because he's a modest guy and more of a sideman than a leader, but most of the instantly hummable Lizzy solos are his.

*Rant off*

My apologies for the rant that's going to follow' date=' but this is one of my pet peeves...

As a big Thin Lizzy fan, I find it hard to believe how many people associate Lizzy with Gary Moore.

Moore played on ONE Thin Lizzy album... Other than helping out a couple of times (usually when Brian Robertson was too drunk/angry/messed up to do the job) he's not been as important to Lizzy's history as he'd like us to believe.

Gorham/Robertson are the defining Lizzy guitarists. Both played Les Pauls at the time. They defined the sound of Lizzy and were at the core of the band's golden era.

Gorham gets overlooked because he's a modest guy and more of a sideman than a leader, but most of the instantly hummable Lizzy solos are his.

*Rant off*[/quote']

I actually relate Gorham more to Lizzy than I ever have to Gary Moore. The refernce I made was becuase of the first Video I posted of Gary Moore. But to me Gary Moore did much more for Lizzy's success (and ongoing success) than Robertson, and in some aspects, even Gorham. Sometimes success and rememberence of a band is a popularity contest.

The only criticsim I have of Moore is his overall lack of US touring...

I just feel the need to chime in on this. When i saw the thread title i imediately wanted to reply with Gary Moore, but I see there are many fans of him on here!

I don't know about the best "Song/Riff" but I HAVE to say that Gary has the absolute, hands down, best "tone" i have EVER heard involving a Les Paul Marshall. being 41 years old and playing "most" of those years, listening to thousands of guitarists..etc. It is the most amazing tone.

I know there are MANY, MANY out there and some i have never heard of, but for "ME" that is the ONLY guitarist that has it NAILED !!!!

Later,

-Rj

My apologies for the rant that's going to follow' date=' but this is one of my pet peeves...

*Rant off*[/quote']I hear you bro'. Instantly hummable. Enough said.

Archived