Gibson Brands Forums

How to get the "stank" out?????

onewilyfool

I have two guitars that have a cigarette, mouldy, bar room smell that to me, is pretty obnoxious.......One is a 1900 Washburn Parlor, one is a 1950 Kay archtop.......they really DO have the Mojo, but I must say, that mojo smell is not high on my list of attributes......On the Washburn, I finally put a couple of drops of Sandlewood oil on the inside of the sound hole, which helped somewhat, but it is like spraying perfume on a pile of crap. So, I'm really interested to see if you guys and gals, have had similar problems and what miracle methods you used to eradicate that smell....thanks in advance....

Send her out for more beer and then change the locks!

Actually I had a guitar given to me by a old friend who is a heavy smoker, I tried baby powder in the case, everyone looked at me like I was transporting a white powdery substance. I took it to a guitar repair guy, he used a rag with some turpintine to clean the glazed nicotine off. After 5 years I still can smell the nicotine but it's tolerable.

So Wily, I guess you won't want any of my guitars. I was going to give you my 1947 L-7, but I guess with my two pack a day habit, and the hundreds of bar/nightclub gigs I've played, I'll just have to give it to someone else.

So Wily' date=' I guess you won't want any of my guitars. I was going to give you my 1947 L-7, but I guess with my two pack a day habit, and the hundreds of bar/nightclub gigs I've played, I'll just have to give it to someone else.[/quote']

Larry.....now let's not be rash about this......lol......for that guitar, I would be willing to PLUG my nostrils.....lol. No offence intended Larry by the way, the smell that bothers me the most is that musky mildew moldy smell....not the cigarettes.....

So Wily' date=' I guess you won't want any of my guitars. I was going to give you my 1947 L-7, but I guess with my two pack a day habit, and the hundreds of bar/nightclub gigs I've played, I'll just have to give it to someone else.[/quote']

Give it to me!

Will keep the smell good!

Fabreeze is one of the more effective commercial products our there.

I bought a used case for my Rickenbacker 320 that had obviously been stored in a damp basement for years. It had that musty smell. So I Fabreezed it liberally and then left the case closed with a new box of Arm 'n Hammer baking soda in it for a month. Now I just keep changing the box regularly. It has taken about a year but the smell is almost gone.

Get a giant sized trash bag and put the guitar inside with a pie tin filled with that citrus cleaner orange stuff. Leave it for a couple of days, and afterwards it should smell fresh as a daisy. I collect antique phonographs, which are often host to rats nests and can stink to high heaven. This is the way phono collectors fix the problem.

Did I ever mention how awesome this forum is? The collective knowledge that is shared is great for newer players like myself.

I have picked up a dumptruck load of tricks I can try on a case that I found.

No kidding, one day I was flyfishing in my belly boat when I spotted a guitar case floating in the reeds. Obviously I had grand visions of finding some vintage guitar inside. I feverishly kicked over there & guess what was inside?!?! NOTHING!! Not even a pick, or a broken string. Being the packrack that I am I took it home and dried/aired it out in the garage (where it has sat now for 2 years). I'll try some of the ideas listed in this forum to make it hospitable for when I do find a vintage guitar to put inside.

After playing in bars for so many years all of my guitars were covered in a nice coat of nicotene. While it did not bother me it drove other folks nuts. Problem is you do not want to be dousing your guitar with ozium spray or something. I went and brought the guitars to my repair guy who gave them a good and safe cleaning and buffing. It was scary how much crap came off of those guitars.

But the smell itself was not coming from the guitars as much the cases and canvas amp covers I was using. Those I hit with a few shots of ozium and then put them outside in the sun and air for a bunch of days.

i had a case that had a really bad smell, i just let it bake in the sun for a couple of days and it was good as new. now i wouldn't suggest that with a nice old guitar, but if you have a place you could leave it outside for a few hours at a time (in mild temperature and correct humidity) it might solve it for you.

Archived