Gibson Brands Forums

What do you guys think about '57 pick ups

Nic LP

To my ears they've got tighter mids and highs than my BB Pro's. At the expense of less of a low range 'growl'.

I've had 57's for a few weeks (just picked up a '99 Std) but I've been using BB Pro's for a few years - so I'm still dialling in my amp to suit. The amp's eq is pretty basic though so I may be turning to an eq pedal to help.

There is no miracle all round great pick up. Depends on the wood, amp, and ears/taste/genre of the player.

I gigged my ES-339 from Sept, '08 until a few months ago. It was all I played, just 150/300 seat bars. The '57's were like heaven through my Mesa. I didn't realize how much more mellow they were, coming off a few years with a Tele, until I broke a string one night and plugged in the old SG (my backup).

Wow.....

I had to back the amp down el quicko.

Then, when I bought the Studio around Christmas to take some pressure off the 339, again I was shocked at how much hotter the 498T/490R combo are.

I love the sound of the '57's, but they are a totally different animal.

Having said that, I prefer the "Memphis" wiring on the 339, as it is much more "user friendly" when it comes to blending the 2 pickups, the Studio really doesn't do that very well at all.

Best to ya.

Murph.

It depends on what guitar,what amp,what music you play.the 57's are very nice pups,smooth,creamy,but can be pushed into nice distortion.good bite to them. cann't go wrong with them.they are a good for most styles of music. I cann't say anything about metal as i don't play it. compaired to the BBpro's imho there is a big difference. the BB's are not as mellow as the 57's. not to say they are bad just a different voice. had them in my 05 standard and they were great. but when i upgraded to 500k pots i thought they were to bright(in the bridge). All in All the '57's, A+ pup.

go for the R9 you won't regret it. great axe.

Great all around pups [cool] . Use a nice tube amp and you can get just about any sound out of them that you want. I play mostly metal and have them in one of my explorers and my Les Paul Custom through a Marshall DSL 100. Can't beat the tone.

They are my favorite pickups... However, when I bought my 99 LP custom 2 years ago, I knew (before even ever playing it) that it had the 490R/498T setup... When I plugged it in for the first time and played it, it was the sweetest tone I every heard... It was the perfect tone I was searching for.. So, those pickups stayed in there...

Sometimes it's more the guitar than the pups...

I can't really comment on the pickups in question, from personal experience at least, but what I can hear from all the youtube videos they sound absolutely amazing if you're into the more mellow - bluesy / classic / southern rock style (think Duane Allman - early Clapton).

I have the BB pros in my Studio and they are also EXCELLENT pickups for more hard-rocking /classic metal situations, imho. It's not that they don't get mellower or anything (hey, that's why we have 2 tone - 2 volume controls after all!) but I think that they really excel when pushing a little harder a strong, bright amp. In my opinion, they are ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC for that classic British / Marshally distortion. They really shine in that!

Actually, it got me all curious how much different a Lester would be (in my hands at least) if it was not chambered & came with '57 pickups... I'm thinking ''Live at Fillmore'' all the way baby...!#-o

Love 'em. They're perfect for my taste - blues and classic rock. I studied hard about pick ups when I bought by Traditional, because I did not want to mod it. I wanted to leave it completely stock. The '57's are excellent clean, or they can growl. They're good for a little heavier rock, if you want to do a little GNR.

Archived