Gibson Brands Forums

Choosing the amp.

Alekseriator

Which one is better Fender blues junior or Epiphone valve senior???

I have a blues junior and it completely blows away the valve senior... Epiphone amps are sub-par... I've seen some dudes use Blues Juniors at blues jams... So, they do pack a punch also..

IMHO' date=' Neither is a good amp! Pick your poison. :-k

MARSHALL.........TUBE.........ANY AMP........ ANY WATTAGE! [biggrin

I'm partial to Marshall's as well. Depending on what your looking for from a full stack to a combo, the TSL & DSL's are great amp's for the price and have an awesome tone.

You do really have to find you own tone.

I have a Krank Rev Jr Pro for my little throw and go amp which is what it sounds like what you're looking for and I absolutely LOVE it. Yet, you won't find Krank getting a whole lot of forum time here. They are not just Shredder Amps. I don't Shred. Can get a wonderful bluesy crunch with the dirty channel gain on 1, crank the gain up to 3 and you've got great classic rock growl, 5 is hard rock, and they are known for their metal capability if you want to go there. The KLEEN channel is not Fender clean but it does just fine for a throw and go.

I would also buy the Blackstar HT-5 in a heartbeat. But I've already got my Krank.

Hey guys I'm also looking for a good amp. Something under 30 watts. Something that will shred, do blues, and can give me a great clean sound. My style is kinda indie-ish, but I also sometimes venture out into the blues territory, and sometimes I enjoy messing with the drop d tuning and heavier stuff...

So I guess I need something very versatile. And not super heavy - a 72lb LoneStar Special is too heavy. Even though it would be the perfect amp for me (soundwise).

Hey guys I'm also looking for a good amp. Something under 30 watts. Something that will shred' date=' do blues, and can give me a great clean sound. My style is kinda indie-ish, but I also sometimes venture out into the blues territory, and sometimes I enjoy messing with the drop d tuning and heavier stuff...

So I guess I need something very versatile. And not super heavy - a 72lb LoneStar Special is too heavy. Even though it would be the perfect amp for me (soundwise).

[/quote']

Peavey Bandit 112 combo or 6505+ 112 combo.

The 6505+ 112 combo has to be one of the best deals around at the moment - $599 brand new.

Hey guys I'm also looking for a good amp. Something under 30 watts. Something that will shred' date=' do blues, and can give me a great clean sound. My style is kinda indie-ish, but I also sometimes venture out into the blues territory, and sometimes I enjoy messing with the drop d tuning and heavier stuff...

[/quote']

I've got a Princeton Chorus that fits that description. Great amp, but I don't think Fender makes it any more. You may still be able to find one somewhere. Solid state, 2x25 watts, light. Excellent clean, rich chorus, nice reverb, pretty good overdrive for solid state.

I've got a Princeton Chorus that fits that description. Great amp' date=' but I don't think Fender makes it any more. You may still be able to find one somewhere. Solid state, 2x25 watts, light. Excellent clean, rich chorus, nice reverb, pretty good overdrive for solid state.[/quote']

My dad has one of those. It has to be the best sounding SS amp I've ever heard.

[/quote']

Vox AC4TV

I'm afraid that little 4 watt Vox won't cut it for me. I think I will need something with at least 20 watt's of power.

I've tried an AC30 - but its too heavy, and slightly screechy too. A Fender Supersonic - almost perfect for my tastes BUT WAY too heavy to carry around...

A Blues Deluxe Reverb, and a Hot Rod Deluxe, and a Blues Jr are on my list as well. However, they lack the heavy gain I want. But they do have the excellent cleans I like. And the Blues Jr might not have enough clean head room for me...

An Orange Rocker 30 sounds like something I might like - but it lacks an effects loop. And I don't know of any place around Seattle WA that has those. An AC15 might be something I would like to play too - but no one around here has them for me to try one out...

Already tried a 65 reissue Princeton Reverb - and concluded that the other Fenders sound just as good to me....

Which one is better Fender blues junior or Epiphone valve senior???

First you need to define "better" for us.

Better: sound, durability, ease of modification, cost, volume, tone, feel, touch sensitivity, or all of these or other?

By name one would think the Epi is better simply because it is older hence the name "senior" vs. "junior." The senior will have more life experiences, but the youth or junior will have vigor and stamina.

I think a lot has to do with what you plan to run through it...

It seems to me that the guys who have a "sound" they're really happy with, especially if they're looking for "clean," usually have been playing pretty much the same guitar with the same strings thru roughly the same amp for years.

What we may not see is how they got there.

I'd try a cupla amps playing your own guitar thru them... and turning the amps so they reflect differently... and so you're hearing from different directions.

Then figure it ain't gonna sound the same way at home anyway.

As Droj noted, "better" is subjective. I want a quality amp - I think we all do - but may have entirely different priorities than someone else. I guarantee "my" amp will sound different if you were to play your guitar through it, too...

m

over the years i've owned various amps including a marshall vs100r with a 4x12 cab, carlsbro wasp, various small fender amps, gorilla amps, park amps and i now have a fender blues junior. the junior is a great all round amp with good tone and it can go pretty loud. i would say this is the better of the two you asked about. admitidly, the marshall was fun. but you have to ask what you want the amp for, do you need huge ammounts of volume for gigging etc or is it just a practice amp at home? is tone and sound quality what your after and does your wants meet your budget?

bottom line.. i'd happily recommend the blues junior. i have to admit though that my telecaster sounds better through it than my sg but that doesdnt mean the sg sounds bad through it. in a perfect world i would have another marshall just for the sg. my compromise was get one amp that is good rather than two cheaper ones that i'm not overly impressed with

djandrey_m wrote:

Hey guys I'm also looking for a good amp. Something under 30 watts. Something that will shred, do blues, and can give me a great clean sound. My style is kinda indie-ish, but I also sometimes venture out into the blues territory, and sometimes I enjoy messing with the drop d tuning and heavier stuff...

Check out the Mesa Boogie Express 5:25. It does everything well. The clean is bright, the reverb and chorus are very good (not the depth of a Fender), the blues, crunch and burn selections are creamy hot. I've got the 5:50 and I love it!

Archived