Gibson Brands Forums

Point to ponder

Gibson CS

The dealer near me has one, it's seemingly become a permament store fixture!! eusa_whistle.gif

I wouldn't buy that thing if I hit the Megamillion jackpot...[-(

Ok, maybe if the jackpot was over $100 Million then I would consider it... :-k

Eddie is such a sell out.

I agree....If I had millions to spare I still wouldnt even consider it...

A sellout. And a drunk. And an asshole. After his ridiculously selfish treatment of Michael Anthony (who is a SUPER nice guy) and his crappy assed playing (depending on the show), he falls into the list of artists I will never give another dime to.

I don't get excited about signature models at all, in fact I'm more likely to avoid them altogether. I really don't care how so-and-so dictates a guitar should be; that's not going to improve my playing. Why stop there? Why not eat their food and sleep with their wife too?

The exception is the Les Paul of course but I've never really considered the LP to be a signature model.... probably because I know just enough of the history of the development of the model to know that it was a mishmash of many peoples ideas and developed over several years (and continued to change over the next 56 years, sometimes better, sometimes worse!).

I wouldn't mind owning a Guild Roy Buchanan model, even though apparently Roy wasn't pleased with the whole deal... either the guitar or the company or both. He was known to cover the headstock logo with black tape for a while and ultimately broke off with Guild and went with some small company in the southeast making SuperTeles. The Guild may have been a failure but I'd like one just because I'm a big fan of his. I sure wouldn't pay any more for a guitar just because it had so-and-sos autograph on the headstock. If it's a $1000 guitar, then it's a $1000 guitar; the signature doesn't double the price (or multiply it by 20).

FennRx...

Im glad im not the only one who feels that way about Eddie.

Hes a great guitar player ( although im bored of his style )

But, I think he has a screw loose. Look at the EVH signature guitars throughout the years.

Ive said this before, but it needs to be said again...

He endorses a guitar and always says the same thing "Its the best guitar I have ever played"

Then he gets pissy with the company ie..Ernie Ball, Peavey, Kramer etc...

Then he moves on to another company and says the same thing!"Its the best guitar I have ever played"

Does he not realize that hes making an *** out of himself?

The only thing bigger then Eddies ego is his liver.

When I bought my custom yesterday there was an Eddie Van Halen Frankenstein hanging behind

the counter.

It was marked sold.

Price??

$17999

I shook my head. lol

$17999, down from nearly $26000. A relative bargin! Probably no one in your area was dumb enough to to pay list price for a POS looking guitar. And not the original mind you, but a copy of a POS guitar. Sheesh.

They did do a really good job on it though, ya gotta admit.

guitarslinger...

I would have loved to take the guitar down and play it...it was sold, so that was a no no.

Was it well made? I dunno, but when I see a silly price tag like that it makes me think that people have

mory money then brains.

$400 worth of parts...$16000 worth of labour and greed

A sellout. And a drunk. And an asshole. After his ridiculously selfish treatment of Michael Anthony (who is a SUPER nice guy) and his crappy assed playing (depending on the show)' date=' he falls into the list of artists I will never give another dime to.[/quote']

I think it was Paul Stanley, who knows Eddie pretty well, who said that he is the most unhappy millionair he's ever met.[-X

$400 worth of parts...$16000 worth of labour and greed

LOL you folks need to listen to Pink Floyd's "Have A Cigar"....

"they call it ridin' the gravy train..."

So.... Gibson comes to you and offers to make you a signature guitar... you're all gonna say "No way!!! I am not a greedy bastage like Eddie Van Halen!!!"

Yeah, bullsh*t. That's what I thought. Me too [-X

As for EVH the man, I am glad he got himself sobered up, cleaned up, and in a productive relationship with his son. The human story was a sad one, and celebrity or not, bad decisions or not, it's never nice to see another human being suffering from illness or addiction. He was fortunate enough to have the right people around him at the right time. Not everyone is that lucky. I also understand his ex, Valerie B., despite the divorce was behind the scenes for a good deal of his help, if for nothing else - for their son Wolfgang. And the divorce itself was a big part of the wake up call as well.

That video of EVH at the NAMM Fender stage was a real low point, but from what I've seen since his rebound appears successful.

As for the EVH Guitar it does absoluteley nothing for me. But if I actually had the desire for one, I would rather buy, say a Fender mexican standard or American highway, and try to replicate the EVH slowly and carefully to emulate the details, right down to the cigarette burns and save tons of money. Then at some point, have Eddie himself sign it.

My feeling is the same on alot of the relic-styled signature series guitars, regardless of the manufacturer.

LOL you folks need to listen to Pink Floyd's "Have A Cigar"....

"they call it ridin' the gravy train..."

So.... Gibson comes to you and offers to make you a signature guitar... you're all gonna say "No way!!! I am not a greedy bastage like Eddie Van Halen!!!"

Yeah' date=' bullsh*t. That's what I thought. Me too [-X

[/quote']

If Gibson came to me and asked me to help design a signature guitar with my name on it...

I would stick with Gibson through thick and thin...

I wouldnt jump ship if something didnt suit me well.

I think it was Paul Stanley' date=' who knows Eddie pretty well, who said that he is the most unhappy millionair he's ever met.[-X [/quote']

That is truly sad! Granted money doesn't buy everything, but it is a heck of a good start.

Though I would say his destruction behavior took part in what drove him to succeed, now it is what tears him apart.

If Gibson came to me and asked me to help design a signature guitar with my name on it...

I would stick with Gibson through thick and thin...

I wouldnt jump ship if something didnt suit me well.

Unfortunately, business contracts are not so simple. One doesn't get out of a mulimillion dollar contract just because

"... something didnt suit me well". Way more involved than that. Have you seen Eddie's royalty contracts? Do you know for certain that Eddie was getting the lion's share?

Or... just maybe... could it perhaps be that the guitar/amp/ whatever company was slowly but surely cutting more of Eddie's creative influence and taking more of the increasing profits from his success?

I'm just saying it is awfully naive to think that this is all Eddie Van Halen's doing and laying sole blame on the artist. Anyone who knows the business knows the artist is just the most visible tip of the ice berg... but that ain't the part that sank the Titanic, now is it?

And I am sorry.... absolutely no logic in hammering some one for claiming "this is the best I have ever played". I mean, seriously... my latest car is the best I have ever driven... just like the last one was. My new Les Paul is the best I have ever played... until I find the next one. My last girlfriend was the best I'd ever had... until I met my wife.

Make any sense? I am not bashing anyone.... just trying to point out that perhaps we are painting with a mighty broad brush when we tag EVH for the price of his replica guitar... and just to test the theory, you're saying that if PRS offers you $25,000.00 and 1% of gross sales to produce a deepblue163 guitar... then 5 years later Gibson offers you 20 million and 10% of the gross sales, you're gonna tell them "No way.. I am sticking with PRS".

Yeah,again, that's what I thought.

5150, 5150 guys. That's a police code for " An escaped mental patient"

How dare you bash a guitar play-in legion, or any of their signature series guitars. You guys don't know him, personally, or any of them. We are all crazy, to one extent or another. You are supposed to just listen and enjoy the music and here talk about guitars. Eddie has had his wake-up call, and is doing better now, The life wiil do that to-ya, you guys just dont know. Some of us, and some of them are 5150, so what, everyone has problems. Don't kick a man when he's down. It does not mean you should talk that way, and cast stones.

Get off your high horses and bring it down a couple of notches.

This is the world wide web every-one in the world is watching, don't make fools of yourselfs.

ChanMan....

I understand what youre saying.

I dont put all the blame on Eddie. But if I were to use every bit of knowledge that I have about guitars, and what I like or what works for me into my Gibson signature guitar, then thats my hallmark. Thats my cream of the crop.

That shouldnt change if I jump ship to another company...

To me thats a sell out to get more money.

Its called integrity...

I would assure the consumer that this in my opinion is the best guitar I have ever played, and when you buy it, it comes with 100% of my blood, sweat and tears and all of my experience.

I would ride it out untill the end of the line, and get the best cut from Gibson I could get, and stick with it.

If someone offered me $$$$ in the future to sign with them....

Im sorry, I dont think I could do it. Again, I pride myself in being honest and having integrity.

If Eddie had a bad experience with one company, I could see his point of view. But, 3 or 4 guitar companies?

Now I hear hes fighting with Fender and moving to Gibson...Maybe he already has I dont know.

You figure he would have learned something from his past business experiences...I guess the booze & coke have rotted his brain.

Hes old news now anyway...I mean how many times can we hear hammer ons and tapping without it becoming boring. I wont take away his meaning to guitar players...hes a legend in his own time...but hes old, stale and crusty now.

EVH's signature is 5150' date=' not 2150. If I recall reading correctly 5150 is his house, or studio, number address.[/quote']

Yea it's 5150, that's a type-o. I'll change It. It is a Illinois police radio code, also, meaning what I stated. 5150 is the california code also for involuntary 72-hour psychiatric hold. and their are many books based on that code, one such as, The book 5150 One Who Flew Into The Cuckoos Nest by Kathi Stringer.

Also a specific California Welfare and Institutions code, which allows a professional person such as a police officer or a crisis Mental Health worker to take you to a approved psychiatric facility for involuntary 72-hour treatment and evaluation.

5150 is a common code and used in just about every state in the U.S. for psyco patient's everywhere, and gives government workers and officals specific powers to lock your ***-up with-out your consent for 72 hrs or more.

And I would like everyone to remember the old saying because its true: "Their is a real fine line from a Genius and a Crazy man" And most cross that line many times, and look crazy to us. And I consider EVH A GENIUS among many guitar geniuses. Man he even invented "The D-TUNA" Has any-one here even done something like that.

Archived