Gibson Brands Forums

Well the ego took a good blow today

duane v

That what I'm getting[blush] [confused]

Bifocals are a beyotch on a scoot! I can't wear 'em when I ride. The eyes are moving so much and so fast when riding that they never get a chance to make the adjustment from one focus to the other when looking down at gauges, then up at the road. So, I have to wear my distance lenses, and look under them to look at speedo or tach.

:)

All these years I've been bragging about my great vision' date=' the beast of a Optometrist prescribed me glasses today[angry'] .....

I've been calling my daughter 4-eyes for seven years[blush] ....... Guess I'm screwed when my glasses are ready[biggrin]

Duane,

you'll probably look (more[biggrin] ) intelligent [-(

Peter

I've got the same problem Milo has. I can read a water tower two miles away but can't read anything within 3 feet without glasses.

A former drummer of mine, who is now an optomitrist, says it's inevitable after age 40. The lens tissue in your eyes lasts a lifetime. It doesn't regenerate. But when you get older it begins to atrophy (harden) and it doesn't flex like it used to when you focus.

So if you're not wearing glasses now just wait. Your time is comin'.

You should try being prescribed glasses when you're 14 years old. You might as well just have a cap on that says 'NERD'. It really didn't help with my already fragile self-esteem, and when I chose not to wear them I got headaches... I'm 41 now, had lasik laser eye surgery in 2005 and my vision has been 20/20 since then. The surgery was quite painful, and it took 2 months for my eyes to see clearly, but I have no regrets now.

I've got the same problem Milo has. I can read a water tower two miles away but can't read anything within 3 feet without glasses.

A former drummer of mine' date=' who is now an optomitrist, says it's inevitable after age 40. The lens tissue in your eyes lasts a lifetime. It doesn't regenerate. But when you get older it begins to atrophy (harden) and it doesn't flex like it used to when you focus.

So if you're not wearing glasses now just wait. Your time is comin'. [/quote']

Ya know... drummers are rarely right about anything...but my eyeballs went to hell almost on my 40th birthday!

I've worn glasses since the 5th grade, but could see just fine without them, (Lazy eye so one eye worked okay, the other not at all), but at 40 BANG! I couldn't read...now I can't read the alarm clock in the morning without putting on my glasses!!

I have worn glasses or contacts since second grade. I have a cataract-like condition that gives me two focal points in each eye. In other words, I have double vision. Some day, I will have to have surgery as my eyeballs are so out of round that I am a high risk for a detached retina. At night, car lights blind me. I have had pieces of steel drilled out of my eyes more times than I can remember.

F...

Mrs. Neo was cleaning house a couple days later.

Go figure.

Kicked you out did she?

I got lucky, I guess, I've had glasses since the 5th grade. At that age, the kids thought it was some kind of jewelry and, while not 'cool' it wasn't considered 'nerdy' yet. 2 years later those that got the 'heart break of optometrist' got the business. Me? It was old news, so they left me alone.

Lens tissue is kind of like plastics. UV rays degrades it. The more exposure you get the more it degrades. Eventually, it hardens, then becomes cloudy and hard to see through. This is called cataracts. This process can be delayed by always, always, always, wearing UV BLOCKING sunglasses when you are outside for extended periods, 4 seasons a year. The sun is doubly destructive this time of year. You get the sun light from above then it gets you after it bounces off the snow. I am NEVER without my polarized clip-on sun glasses. You cannot get polarized prescription lenses and I absolutely hate looking through dashboard reflections when I'm driving. Full brim hat too helps. :-s

So the doctor asked me to read the sixth line of the eye chart.

I told him I could read the bottom line of the eye chart.

He didn't believe me' date=' and stepped closer to the chart to prove me wrong.

I told him it says;

M... A... D... E... I... N... C... H... I... N... A....

Took him a minute to figure it out.

[biggrin']/

LMFAO!!!

[biggrin]

Very good one!

Rocketman...

My eyes were fine when I was a kid, but sugar in the little testing cup ended any of my ideas about being a fighter pilot.

$@#$#$ Eyes are so precious. I had mine patched over for nearly 6 weeks when I was 15. Long story but given the state of medicine at the time, I know just how lucky I am.

A friend currently has a bubble injected into an eye to press on the retina in hopes of repairing a blind spot in the center of vision. My brother had surgery to get from like 20-300 to about the same vision I have.

Aging... Darn. I remember I first started noticing it big time when I'd be reading and watching TV at the same time and the focus didn't switch back and forth the way it once did. That was mid 40s. It just gets a bit worser and worser. <grin>

I don't handle a lot of sunglasses very well, but I'm almost always wearing a full-brim hat outside, even when driving.

Duane... Welcome to the club of the aging eyes. Most folks my age, btw, have done the contact thing and finally concluded it's better just to do the glasses.

And... reminds me of a joke about the two couples who rented the same one-room cabin in the mountains for a vacation together for 50 years. At first they put up a "privacy curtain" to divide the sleeping quarters. After 40 years they all just took off their bifocals. Hmmmm.

m

Lens tissue is kind of like plastics. UV rays degrades it. The more exposure you get the more it degrades. Eventually' date=' it hardens, then becomes cloudy and hard to see through. This is called cataracts. This process can be delayed by always, always, always, wearing UV BLOCKING sunglasses when you are outside for extended periods, 4 seasons a year... You cannot get polarized prescription lenses and I absolutely hate looking through dashboard reflections when I'm driving. Full brim hat too helps. :) [/quote']

Last year, at the age of 55, I had cataracts repaired in both eyes. It was a miracle; like getting a new set of eyes! I never wore sunglasses because I would have had to get expensive prescriptions. Now I can wear any old set of cheap sunglasses.

That's what I have (bifocals) and they absolutely SUCK!!! I hate them' date=' and my insurance won't cover Lasic Surgery because it's "cosmetic".

[/quote']

That's an example of health care being rationed by your insurance company. You were denied because the laser surgery is too expensive.

You cannot get polarized prescription lenses and I absolutely hate looking through dashboard reflections when I'm driving. Full brim hat too helps. #-o

My wife had lasic surgery in one eye a few years ago. She does the mono vision thing, far sighted now in the eye that she had lasic in, and near sighted in the other. She only wears glasses to drive with a clear lens on one side and prescription on the other.

She just got 2 new pairs glasses 2 weeks ago. One pair are sunglasses, and they are Polarized lenses, although they are a bit costly.

Well here's a candid 4-eyes moment of my new bifocals that my bratty 12 year old daughter took..... No doubt she's working on her photo-shop version of it[biggrin]

The frameless lenses help a little, but I still feel like a nerd.

P2280127B.jpg

Archived