Gibson Brands Forums

YouTube talent displays?

RASHARU

I think this is a cool idea.

We (my wife and I) do quite a lot of video, but its purpose is not to show off our performances. Our two big deals are trying to capture the true sound of vintage instruments and recording stuff from jam sessions.

Youtube has gotten quite a bit better in the past year, but they still change the sound track when the re-encode. Since we use Hi Def and faithful sound reproduction is important to us, we use mostly vimeo as our primary video host. We have put some stuff up youtube too.

Here are a couple of examples. The first is one I did last night to demonstrate how a 1935 Gibson Jumbo sounds.

1935 Jumbo

here is one from a jam session.

Sitting on top of the world

We keep all of out guitar comparisons in albums

Big Guitars

Small Guitars

and our jam session stuff too

Jam sessions

Best,

-Tom

Here are the only two times I've EVER been recorded......Nodehopper got me drunk the night before, and convinced me to do them. If it sounds good at all, it's because Node really has a simple and elegant recording system. Makes it real easy. First song is "When did you leave Heaven" inspired by Big Bill Broonzy, played on my 1950 Kay Archtop, for that old timey sound. The second is played on Node's John How ladder braced guitar, "Steamroller Blues" written by James Taylor, who usually plays it in "E", capo's up two frets, so I learned it in "G" so I could play along with the record, cause at the time I didn't have a capo....lol..., ....last disclaimer.....DON'T LAUGH!!!!

www.YouTube.com/jinderTV

there are a few vids here, a selection of motley on-tour videoblogs (fairly uninteresting, and best ignored!), some live vids of myself by other users, an odd fan-video for an old song of mine, Country Sadness (complete with wildly incorrect and nonsensical lyrics!), and the first in a series of "bedroom sessions", in which I play a couple of tunes and talk about some of my favourite artists. This one is on Townes Van Zandt, although I was disappointed that the nice audio of the master copy became degraded once it was uploaded...apologies for that.

There are some nice Gibsons to look at, though!

Don't know if this will work but it is pretty funny. This is a concert I did with the Surfin' Tones. I played bass with them. We were a Ventures Tribute Band. If the link doesn't work can someone help make it work. I'm not real good at these things. Thanks, hope you all enjoy!......

Michael

Tom, for some reason those videos on your links don't really work on my computer (Mac) or perhaps I'm doing something wrong??? Anyway, what I could hear sounded good....

I think this is a cool idea.

We (my wife and I) do quite a lot of video' date=' but its purpose is not to show off our performances. Our two big deals are trying to capture the true sound of vintage instruments and recording stuff from jam sessions.

Youtube has gotten quite a bit better in the past year, but they still change the sound track when the re-encode. Since we use Hi Def and faithful sound reproduction is important to us, we use mostly vimeo as our primary video host. We have put some stuff up youtube too.

Here are a couple of examples. The first is one I did last night to demonstrate how a 1935 Gibson Jumbo sounds.

1935 Jumbo

here is one from a jam session.

Sitting on top of the world

We keep all of out guitar comparisons in albums

Big Guitars

Small Guitars

and our jam session stuff too

Jam sessions

Best,

-Tom

Tom' date=' for some reason those videos on your links don't really work on my computer (Mac) or perhaps I'm doing something wrong??? Anyway, what I could hear sounded good....

[/quote']

OWF - did you try hitting the "PLAY" button ...... :-

Jinder, I saw your vids, it was great for me to see what a real pro musician can do....lol....I better take my youtube stuff down now......You have inspired me to up the work again....thanks....Wily

www.YouTube.com/jinderTV

there are a few vids here' date=' a selection of motley on-tour videoblogs (fairly uninteresting, and best ignored!), some live vids of myself by other users, an odd fan-video for an old song of mine, Country Sadness (complete with wildly incorrect and nonsensical lyrics!), and the first in a series of "bedroom sessions", in which I play a couple of tunes and talk about some of my favourite artists. This one is on Townes Van Zandt, although I was disappointed that the nice audio of the master copy became degraded once it was uploaded...apologies for that.

There are some nice Gibsons to look at, though! [/quote']

Thanks OWF!

I wish my YouTube channel was more exciting, I

plan to bring it up a notch or two in terms of video quality and quantity ready for the release of my next album later in the year/early next. It's a little difficult to find space or silence in which to record videos in my flat at the moment as I have a month-old daughter with a sizeable pair of lungs on her waiting to disrupt any filming!!

If you ask you had better post the link to yours RASHARU [angry]

OK. But you'll have to forgive me this time. I've only loaded one video so far & it was with my Breedlove. I actually spent alot of time this past weekend working on a couple of new videos with my J45. I promise to have them up asap. In the meantime ...

If the link doesn't work for some reason, just search RASHARU on YouTube. I use that name everywhere.

Well, heck, I'm new here but I'll jump in. I've got a bunch of videos recorded and you can check out my brand of "Midwesticana" on my YouTube channel here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/dhanners23 and some of the tunes are done on my '98 J-45.

And in a nod to naked commerce, you can go to CDBaby.com and check out my CD, The Traveler's Burden here: http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/DavidHanners

Last but not least, you can head to my official website here: http://www.davidhanners.com

RASHARU, I saw what you posted.

This is just great!

I love it and I wait for your next video.

Oh, and one more thing - don't you think that Jinder is the best singer-songwriter and performer in that forum?

For me Jinder is The Best here.

Tom, for some reason those videos on your links don't really work on my computer (Mac) or perhaps I'm doing something wrong??? Anyway, what I could hear sounded good....

Hi,

There could be several things wrong. I've had mac users say they have had problems before, but not all do.

Vimeo uses adobe flash -- maybe you need a new version. Also, HD just puts a strain on computer and network -- older stuff or slow network may be a problem.

In any case, here are the same two examples from youtube. youtube is not bad, but it just misses that little extra that makes it sound like you are sitting next to the guitar.

Best,

-Tom

Oh' date=' and one more thing - don't you think that Jinder is the best singer-songwriter and performer in that forum?

For me Jinder is The Best here.

[/quote']

There's absolutely no doubt that Jinder is extremely talented. You are too MrGibbs. EVERYONE here is quite talented in my opinion! This has all been VERY inspiring & encouraging for me. I'm sooo glad that I started this post!

For me personally, I'd have to say (through much experience) that ANYONE who's willing to play/sing in front of a camera is a very special person. For some, the camera brings out their very best.. for others (like me) it just causes them to "tighten-up" & eventually get frustrated with their efforts.

Archived