Gibson Brands Forums

Vancouver Olympics like Berlin circa 1936?

Artie Owl

American Author Describes Canadian Olympics

Ok, so I don't know enough about guns to run with the big kids, but what does everyone think of this? History does happen to be something I know a few things on, and comparing Canada's Olympic session to fachist Nazi Germany of the 30's is a little vexing. Though I wouldn't say I'm mad, as the biggest nail in this author's coffin is him saying that he'd never been to the berlin games but "he's seen pictures". I don't think it's fair comparing Canada to one of the most brutal violent repressive nations ever because the maple leaf reminds you of the nazi party flag because you saw it everywhere. Durring the Olympics. In the host nation.

Thoughts?

American Author Describes Canadian Olympics

Ok' date=' so I don't know enough about guns to run with the big kids, but what does everyone think of this? History does happen to be something I know a few things on, and comparing Canada's Olympic session to fachist Nazi Germany of the 30's is a little vexing. Though I wouldn't say I'm mad, as the biggest nail in this author's coffin is him saying that he'd never been to the berlin games but "he's seen pictures". I don't think it's fair comparing Canada to one of the most brutal violent repressive nations ever because the maple leaf reminds you of the nazi party flag because you saw it everywhere. Durring the Olympics. In the host nation.

Thoughts?[/quote']

Depends.... did Jesse Owens get to flip off your PM? If not, then it doesn't compare.

Personally, I have no issue seeing Canada's Maple Leaf 'cept when it's on the collar of Idi Amin!

I've never heard of the person but he doesn't speak for America or Americans. And by "America" and "Americans" I mean the United States of America and its citizens. I think it was a lame comparison and a stupid thing to write.

+1. I think Canada did the Olympics proud, and why shouldn't they show their flag, we would do it in the states. Also I like their national anthem. I watched it every night, even to the extreme of not playing my Les Paul for a long period of time during the two weeks. I know, shame on me...

And now for post #1,000 / drum roll please.....

CLICK

Oh I know very well he doesn't speak for all Americans, but being a Canadian I wasn't sure if I was wearing blinders and not seeing the negative side of the games, if there was one. I'm glad the hockey game went into overtime, it was a great game on both sides. America did win the most medals, and Canada finally has something to say about their amatuer athletes who have to work at Home Depot to support themselves and their training. I loved the Winter Games, except for the closing ceremony, I thought it was way too campy, but I didn't see anything ultra nationalist about them any more than any other host nation during the Olympics.

Oh I know very well he doesn't speak for all Americans' date=' but being a Canadian I wasn't sure if I was wearing blinders and not seeing the negative side of the games, if there was one. I'm glad the hockey game went into overtime, it was a great game on both sides. America did win the most medals, and Canada finally has something to say about their amatuer athletes who have to work at Home Depot to support themselves and their training. I loved the Winter Games, except for the closing ceremony, I thought it was way too campy, but I didn't see anything ultra nationalist about them any more than any other host nation during the Olympics. [/quote']

Congratulations to Canada for a great show and a great showing. I enjoyed ever minute of it.

Newspaper writers are not always the most objective or smartest people around I doubt if most Americans even thought of that. They thought the Canadian Olympics were done well, and even if it is a international sport venue it was still hosted by Canada in Canada so fly your flags proudly thats part of being the host city as well as the huge bills.

I agree we should have won the hockey game though and I wouldn't have minded a few more trips and falls by the Korean speed skaters but overall good olympic games in a beautiful city.

I think the problem is that different nations express themselves in different ways. I do think there was a lot of flag waving this time around, more so than usual, just from watching it on TV. But as I understand it, Canadians are a flag waving kind of people. I reacted to this already at the opening ceremony when the fire outside the arena was being lit. The crowed cheered, but not a generic "Woooo" or "yaaaaaay" like you'd expect. Most seemed to go "Canada! Canada!" and I guess there's nothing wrong with that, but it did strike me as a bit odd too. Not that there's is anything wrong with it, but to someone coming from a country where displays of patriotism and such is far more subdued, I guess it could be seen as exaggerated and perhaps a bit frantic.

Newspaper writers are not always the most objective or smartest

people around I doubt if most Americans even thought of that.

Canadian Olympics were done well' date=' and even if it is a international sport venue it was still hosted by

Canada in Canada so fly your flags proudly thats part of being the host city as well as the huge bills.[/quote']

I agree 100% and will add something else in defense of my fellow Texans;

Gil LeBreton may be employed by the Fort Worth Star/Telegram, but I doubt he's a native Texan.

Any Texan with any sense knows what kind of trouble that sort of trash-talking will start in the Lone Star State.

It's a polite society for the most part down there, because it doesn't take much to get yer *** whupped.

Imagine a Canadian in Fort Worth spouting off stupid sh!t like that - he'd better be damned tough.

For the most part, Texans recognize that and wouldn't stoop to such lowliness - except maybe in humor.

The fact that he's a sports writer pretty much eliminates any credibility he may have had.

They're the worst.

See, I think the author was just tapping into the fact that Canadians are just pure evil :-k I watched the Olympics, enjoyed them very much and I thought Canada did a great job as the host country. The hockey game was a nail biter to the end, wish we had won, but Canada fought hard for that victory. I watched the Curling final match and was totally caught up in it. Man what a match.

This so-called 'author' is anything but. He is employed to write stories for a magazine. Controversy sells....

Not to me though.

Canada? = Nazi Germany? This wet-behind-the-ears, green horn, 'cittiboy' needs to study Nazi Germany to even get a clue about what he just wrote.

What a putz.

I liked the Vancouver Olympics... what I saw of it. I also saw the closing ceremony. I really loved the blow up figures. The Mounties, the Moose The two guys in a canoe... really reminded me of my Yooper buddies. Only the Canadians would wear a mad bomber hat as part of their Olympic uniform. Go! Kanucks! ..... Anyone know what they did with the blow-up beavers? I really want one of those for the back yard.

Didn't care for the 'Men's figure skating.' Not sure I even saw it.

Canada? = Nazi Germany? This wet-behind-the-ears' date=' green horn, 'cittiboy' needs to study Nazi Germany to even get a clue about what he just wrote. [/quote']

+1..

What a putz.

More of a sheisskopf

I liked the Vancouver Olympics... what I saw of it. I also saw the closing ceremony. I really loved the blow up figures. The Mounties' date=' the Moose The two guys in a canoe... really reminded me of my Yooper buddies. Only the Canadians would wear a mad bomber hat as part of their Olympic uniform. Go! Kanucks! ..... Anyone know what they did with the blow-up beavers? I really want one of those for the back yard.[/quote']

Someone please have a chat with Tommyk about his blow up doll issues! [biggrin][blink]

I hate to admit this, but I never had time to watch much of this winter Olympics.

But comparing Canada in any way to Nazi Germany is something I too find repugnant as fellow North American with some Canadian friends I like, respect and love to argue politics with. <grin>

I live on a highway called the "Can Am." We're working to improve it with an upgrade called the Theodore Roosevelt Expressway. TransCanada will soon be putting a 36-inch pipeline through my county and I'm all for it for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that I prefer buying oil from a friendly neighbor than a potentially extortionist nation far, far away in philosophy and politics. Family friends through the years have been proud of their Canadian background.

The two nations differ in politics which "hit us" both on occasion on specifics. When you're overseas, though, meeting a Canadian is, for this "American," like meeting a well-liked next door neighbor. We share history, basic legal concepts and language. More, because both have similar frontier experiences, we share a bit of culture that is very difficult to describe.

Canadians have more than enough reason to be proud of their unique variety of North American culture. I wish I'd seen that hockey finals, but I'll say this: If there's a team I'd have to select to beat a U.S. team in hockey, it's gotta be Canada.

Hmmm. Okay. I will admit I tease a Canadian friend in T'rano about being a southerner. <chortle>

m

I don't know about those of you who diligently watched the winter Olympics' date=' but I'm suffering from withdrawls.[crying']

+1 My daughter & I were in fron of the TV every night and most of Saturdays & Sundays. Opening ceremony was great, but I was hoping to see RUSH at the closing ceremony. But it was still good...

Archived