Gibson Brands Forums

So I want to buy a tube amp.... but

DAS44

Actually, I will take the debate to another level. You do have the cash in hand you are at an age to make mature and responsible decisions for yourself. Do not explain any further to your dad why you want / need another amp. He doesn't get it anyway. This is beyond that. It's about your right to make financial decisions, based on your budget and your desires. Take the conversation there. Try to get him to explain back to you why you SHOULDN'T / COULDN'T buy this.

Most probably I get you in a fight with your dad, but, in total honesty, there are certain battles that cannot be avoided. And most of the times, they're better fought sooner than later.

Good luck man.

PS: I ''need'' that amp too![lol]

Did he tell you you couldn't buy it or is he simply refusing to provide transportation?

If it's just a matter of refusing to drive you there, well...if you want that much you will figure out how to get it home!

If it's a straight out NO...part of growing up is learning that your folks are just people too. Respectfully find out why he's against it, and then decide if having the Blues Jr. is gonna be worth the fight. If you decide to get it anyway, YOU will have to behave like an adult.

In 10 years you guys will laugh about it.

So you have to have your dad drive you there. I think I would save the money for a car.

CW

I dont even have a permit.... there are these things called LAWS.....

and Jesse its 30 miles away.....

ok lem go back in time an think like I had to get the parents to go my way.............hmmmmmm.......nope I could do whatever I wanted

with money I had..........

OK how bout you start playing with your current amp on max gain and horrible feedback real loud..........tell um it's broke an nothin can be done.

Then tell um you kind of like it like that and don't need any better equipment.

Make a reasonable argument' date=' counter their points, and use facts to win them over by being rational. If that doesn't work, hop on a bus, buy it and tell them to shove it by being irrational [biggrin']

I tried......

OK how bout you start playing with your current amp on max gain and horrible feedback real loud..........tell um it's broke an nothin can be done.

Then tell um you kind of like it like that and don't need any better equipment.

ROFL

Maybe I missed something but why won't he let you buy it? You're too young for a learners permit so it's not like saving money for college is right around the corner.

Did you tell him that is has tubes and that is why you need it? Sell the SS amp.

... or diamonds....

:-

Actually' date=' my wife gets it.

She knows when a guitar sounds good.

Comes from sitting at a lot of gigs watching the crowd - and the musicians she knows in the crowd.

That, and she has a pretty good idea of what makes the hair stand up on my arms when I hear something I like.

Of course, she has to take a deep breath when she sees the price tags but she's seen how I get heartburn

in a hurry when the sticker shock rocks be back. She knows I won't spend stupid money.

The joke is, I'm the guy who will spend $4,000 on a guitar but I won't pay 40 cents to put cheese on a burger.[/quote']

neo, my wife is the same way. she never really cares to listen to me play, but she knows that i am very passionate about my playing, despite only being a bedroom rockstar. she also can hear the difference...she's the reason i bought my r8; i wasnt even going to play it because i didnt like the finish. but she thought it was "pretty." so i plugged it in to humor her and even she said "wow, that sounds great." so i bought it.

to the op, i was in the same boat when i was living under my parents roof. i had a crate gt80 combo amp. it was lound, but it sounded pretty bad. (or at least I sounded bad lol). i had that amp for about 10 years before i bought a new one. and that was when i was out of school and paying all my own bills. i suggest getting a job, saving up the necessary funds, and then selling your old amp.

Dom, if you miss this Blues Jr., there will be others.

So you have to pay $30 more for the next one - big deal.

If I didn't have "issues" with my finances, I would probably own a thousand guitars and 50 amps by now.

Responsibility kinda sucks that way.

Archived