Gibson Brands Forums

NOW the anti-gunners are wanting guns...

NeoConMan

Funny how coincidence and irony can make you scratch your head and wonder, eh?

A few nights ago I decided to change my avatar pic, so just for kicks I made the current selection with the ammo.

Humor is involved, it's a little tongue-in-cheek, but it is also very, very true when you get right down to it.

Then wouldn't you know it - Friday evening, there was an armed robbery up the road, in a neighborhood.

Broad daylight, somebody rings the doorbell.

When the occupant opened his door he was staring at a gun barrel.

No other info has been released by the local police yet, but there was a definite police presence that night.

Walking the road with dogs and such...

For a little perspective, I live way west of Phoenix Arizona in the middle of nowhere.

Desert all around, mountains on one side, big-*** dried-up river on the other.

Lotsa homes in the area, but we are definitely not "in town" in the conventional sense.

At some of the meetings we've gone to with our neighbors, a watch group you could call it, the cops have

come out and given helpful (but generic) tips on property security and privacy concerns.

Of course, they can't openly advocate buying a gun but they are certainly happy to hear many of us own them.

Funny thing - many of my neighbors are from either California or New England.

They moved here and couldn't understand why all us crazy Arizonans own firearms.

They all quickly (and quite vocally) ruled out ever owning a gun.

They were asking about pepper spray, security lights, alarm systems, and all the politically correct stuff.

Now after this robbery my phone is ringing off the wall.

People are stopping by just to "talk" discreetly about buying a gun from me.

They act ashamed and nervous- as if they're buying bootleg liquor from me or something!

Imagine that, NOW the anti-gunners are wanting guns...

Funny how the realization that the cops are as many as 15 miles away changes things, eh?

As some of you know, I'm a federally licensed gun dealer or FFL.

I don't have a store, I simply sell guns from the NeoCon Compound - my garage specifically.

As Mrs. Neo will tell you, it's no different than selling Avon.

Not that I'll cash in - I actually recommended to some that they just buy a gun in town.

On cheaper stuff, I can't compete on price.

If they still wanna buy from me, I'll order in what I can, but they can buy from a store and take it home that day.

That seems to be what they're wanting.

Now they've finally started putting it all together;

Lots of people have lost their jobs.

Lots of houses are now empty and in foreclosure.

Bank robberies are a weekly news item around Phoenix.

Crime is going up, and will continue to do so as people get more desperate.

I lived through this in Texas in the mid-eighties, so I'm already prepared for the worst to a certain degree.

This time though, I fear it may get much, much worse for several reasons.

1. This isn't a regional thing - it's nationwide and has spread to most economies around the world.

2. The size and scope means it's likely NOT a short-term thing. No light at the end of the tunnel yet...

3. The federal government is making every wrong move possible, spending continues to explode.

4. The $14.3 trillion debt means they have to scare up revenue by any means possible - taxes, fines, fees...

Companies already going broke for a million reasons don't need more government mandates and higher taxes.

All the stimulus funds in the world ain't gonna help if people keep losing their jobs.

It's like throwing sandbags to a drowning man.

And a drowning man doesn't care who he takes down if he thinks he can save himself by doing it.....

Oh well, I've done my part in the past - I'll continue to do so in the future.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now they've finally started putting it all together;

Lots of people have lost their jobs.

Lots of houses are now empty and in foreclosure.

Bank robberies are a weekly news item around Phoenix.

Crime is going up' date=' and will continue to do so as people get more desperate.

I lived through this in Texas in the mid-eighties, so I'm already prepared for the worst to a certain degree.

This time though, I fear it may get much, much worse for several reasons.

[b']1.[/b] This isn't a regional thing - it's nationwide and has spread to most economies around the world.

2. The size and scope means it's likely NOT a short-term thing. No light at the end of the tunnel yet...

3. The federal government is making every wrong move possible, spending continues to explode.

4. The $14.3 trillion debt means they have to scare up revenue by any means possible - taxes, fines, fees...

Companies already going broke for a million reasons don't need more government mandates and higher taxes.

All the stimulus funds in the world ain't gonna help if people keep losing their jobs.

It's like throwing sandbags to a drowning man.

And a drowning man doesn't care who he takes down if he thinks he can save himself by doing it.....

Oh well, I've done my part in the past - I'll continue to do so in the future.

I completely hear you on that part man. Things are not that bad where I live or where I come from, at the moment, but your description on world economy direction and it's social impact is spot on. And social disorder can be found in many fields of social life. I was listening to the news that on many soccer stadiums in Europe violence between ''fans'' and between them and the police has risen, even in countries where this phenomenon was obsolete for many years (like England & Germany). It has nothing to do with soccer though. It has to do with thoudands of young people dealing with a $hit load of problems (unemployment, poverty, lack of any direction & hope in their lives) that they find a way to cause riots and ''take it up'' with the rest of society... Despair is the worst consultant for them...

Hi Neo.

I hear all what you say, esp about people having a change of heart about guns. I guess you have to experience the insecurity of your rights coming under threat to appreciate it.

It is easy to be moralistic about guns if you havent been a victim of crime. I can imagine wanting one if I had been a victim.

We dont need them here, and I dont want one, but I am living in a different country. I can imagine people having a change of heart.

But i will add one thing on the economic stuff. If the financial services industry in the USA had been properly regulated to begin with, a large part of this would never have happened.

In other words, if common sense had prevailed over greed and arguments about political ideology and the free market, the US economy would be in a better state and there would be less people really hurt.

So many people were lent rediculous amounts of money they could never afford to repay. Yeah, they were stupid, but they thought the US economy was bullet proof and in the end the whole thing came crashing down.

We hear in Oz that there are promising signs in the US economy though - lets hope it is not a Double Dip as some are predicting.

regards,

Actually I find the whole thing sad that people want firearms specifically for defense rather than for the enjoyment of a firearms hobby... target shooting of various sorts, messing with different ammo, learning to improve one's skills... the zen of shooting...

I figure that the really dangerous folks are those who have made themselves obvious targets for so long that a criminal element will recognize it. Then they have a tendency to have this "OMG!!!" response and wanna defend themselves because, as you say, you're out in the boonies and there's not an officer around the corner. Heck, there isn't one in New York, either.

Anyway... as I say, it's too bad they haven't had the prior fun of a shooting sports hobby - for themselves and for their families who now realize they've been seen as disarmed (mentally as well as physically) victims.

Now? Well, I hope they know what they're buying. I'm assuming you're recommending DA revolvers. <grin>

m

We're in about the same situation here too, except that by living almost exactly half way between Atlanta and Birmingham, we have a HORRIBLE epidemic of meth (whites/latinos) and crack(Af.Amer.) addiction.

Carjackings are becoming the norm, they find bodies on the streets almost nightly, and drug gangs have taken over the city I work in.

Home invasions are off the chart, and the home occupants are shot as the gang enters.

Around here, even people that say they DON'T own/carry a gun.........DO......which confuses me no end.

My Mrs. and I are relatively safe.......our dogs won't even let people we KNOW inside our house, and if by some miracle an invader gets past our dogs........they won't get much farther.

We're lucky to live in one of a few states that it's not a crime to shoot a carjacker..........I LOVE ALABAMA !

So there's a knock at my door. I answer it and someone is standing on my doorstep pointing a handgun in my face. I could have the ultimate armoury just feet from my back , But what's that going to change! Nothing...Im still frozen with a gun being pointed at me.... I just dont see it.....

What's the point buying a firearm to protect youself after this has happened. Its just closing the stable door after the horse has bolted..... It changes nothing..

So there's a knock at my door. I answer it and someone is standing on my doorstep pointing a handgun in my face. I could have the ultimate armoury just feet from my back ' date=' But what's that going to change! Nothing...Im still frozen with a gun being pointed at me.... I just dont see it.....

What's the point buying a firearm to protect youself after this has happened. Its just closing the stable door after the horse has bolted..... It changes nothing..

[/quote']

I'm actually with you Neo. I believe that people should have the right to protect themselves with a gun, but flight(959) is right. The victim should either have checked to see who was standing outside the door before opening it or had a gun in his hand when he opened it (which might have been inviting trouble of a different sort).

And Neo, I'm sure that you have the statistics to prove me wrong, but I was reading in last week's Time magazine (yes that liberal rag Mrs. Palin couldn't remember to list as magazines she reads) that violent crime in the US is at its lowest since the '60s.

Just sayin...

I don't go to the door day or night without a gun. I had a guy stop by

this weekend to ask if he could hunt turkey at my place. The dogs started

barking and I new some one was here. Grabbed the Kimber it's always ready

and went to watch to see who it was coming up on the porch to the door. I didn't

know him so I had the Kimber ready and dogs ready. The shorthair doesn't like

people at the door and will let them know it. The person at the door knocked at

stepped back away. Caution was used until I new what he wanted. I answer the

door this way every time. What good is the protection if I'm not going to use it

all the time. I do live in the country and there was a robbery just down the road.

70 year old guy went to the hospital and they were robbed and the car stolen. All

the neighbor know I carry and they all stopped by and asked what I recommended.

My first response is always training and practice. You can't buy a gun and not practice.

No one wants to have to use a gun but you need to know how to safely handle the gun

and become use to firing so that it feels natural to do so. Milo I love to shoot targets

and I know what you speak of.

CW

Ain't it true, a "conservative" is a liberal who's been mugged!

The people buying guns won't have to answer their doors with gun in hand. Because the bad guys won't know which house HAS a gun, they'll move on to a "safer neighborhood"!!

Actually I find the whole thing sad that people want firearms specifically for defense rather than for the enjoyment of a firearms hobby... target shooting of various sorts' date=' messing with different ammo, learning to improve one's skills... the zen of shooting...

[/quote']

Thank you, milod. There is a sort of zen to it as strange as it sounds. I love going to the local shotting range.

So there's a knock at my door. I answer it and someone is standing on my doorstep pointing a handgun in my face. I could have the ultimate armoury just feet from my back ' date=' But what's that going to change! Nothing...Im still frozen with a gun being pointed at me.... I just dont see it.....

[/quote']

So, Simon, you're saying that since it's happened once it won't happen again? No point in preparation for a repeat attempt? We say "be prepared" here, and we mean it. If the perceived threat level increases, one must increases one's vigilance and preparedness.

[b']What's the point buying a firearm to protect youself after this has happened.[/b] Its just closing the stable door after the horse has bolted..... It changes nothing..

Statistics show homes that are robbed are more likely to be robbed again. Therefore I'd say its a perfect reason to get armed.

[/quote']

I have to agree with you. Whats the point of getting a gun or having one if your not going

to take it with you and ready to use when you go to the door and opening the door

and not knowing who's there is just asking for trouble. When I go to the door gun is in

hand and loaded not in the holster or pocket.

CW

I have to agree with you. Whats the point of getting a gun or having one if your not going

to take it with you and ready to use when you go to the door and opening the door and

and not knowing who's there is just asking for trouble. When I go to the door gun is in

hand and loaded not in the holster or pocket.

CW

Bet that makes the Avon Lady ready for some perfume!!

So' date=' Simon, you're saying that since it's happened once it won't happen again? No point in preparation for a repeat attempt? We say "be prepared" here, and we mean it. If the perceived threat level increases, one must increases one's vigilance and preparedness. [/quote']

Cruz,

Im NOT saying im against what you guys do... Im just saying that in the incident Neo talks of, owning a firearm would have made no difference... If its happening its happening... And yes the same places do get done again and again..

Regards

Well, not for nothin', but it aint no different in most of New England as it is in rural Arizona...DAILY fatal shootings in Providence (most large cities in the Northeast), bank robberies, break-ins...the big "money-maker" up here is breaking into pharmacies, and stealing as much Oxycontin as they can get away with, and some of them would no doubt kill for it...hasn't happened, yet. A lot of the anti-gun people here are changing their tune too, and what's sad is the police are a lot closer than 15 miles away. As far as an "economy" up here?? SCHITT, there aint one.

Your guys a so lucky to be able to own guns still. It seems a million years ago but I used to shoot and had a great collection. 1911 Colt 'Stockbridge special' , S&W model 686 6 inch barrel 357 magnum, C.O.P 4 barreled 357mag Dillinger, G91 assault rifle and various shot guns. I had my own loading press and really enjoyed it. That was before we Brits were deemed too stupid to own guns and they were banned. Now the only ones over here with guns are the criminals. Are our streets safer? I don't think so.

"OMG!!!" response and wanna defend themselves

I say' date=' it's too bad they haven't had the prior fun of a shooting sports hobby - for themselves and for

their families who now realize they've been seen as disarmed (mentally as well as physically) victims.

I hope they know what they're buying. I'm assuming you're recommending DA revolvers.[/quote']

Dead on.

The idea that they will see it only as some sort of panic button that spits lead is indeed a bummer.

There are many skills to be honed that people never knew they had, and the enjoyment is missed.

And yes, not only do I strongly recommend simple, durable DA revolvers - I show them a semi-auto and explain

the ins and outs of why. Not the least is getting bitten by the slide and being the only person injured....

Archived