Gibson Brands Forums

To trust or Not to trust your guitar tech.

sgman

Having just purchased a beautiful new Gibson SG 61 Reissue guitar nearly a week ago, I can take the guitar back in for a free setup according to the offer I've been given by the dealer.

My problem is that because I took in my other guitar to this particular guitar tech (Fender American Strat) and I wasn't satisfied with the job he did on it (G string buzz which the tech told me is nothing to be concerned about), I'm worried that he won't setup the SG properly.

I have a mate that works at the dealer concerned and he told me that I shouldn't worry since he has this guy do all his guitars and he's done a good job so far.

If I choose not to take it back to this particular tech and take it to some other tech, I'll have to fork out the cash for a setup with them.

I just don't know what I should do. For me (and I'm sure a lot of you guys would be the same way) since I can't afford to just go out and buy another SG, I really treasure the one I have and I want the very best of care taken with it.

So, as I say...should I go ahead and trust this guy or not?

Ultimately, I think it's important that you really are satisfied. If you have a bad history with this tech, your best bet might just be to fork out the cash for some locally renowned tech (ask around, it's always a good thing) and get your guitar setup as you really want it. I've had bad experiences with expensive guitar techs in the past, by whom my guitar has been improperly setup, forcing me to learn the whole thing for myself and doing these things. It's a good way of learning by trial and error I guess, but with a completely new 61 RI I feel your insecurity in doing such things.

The best thing is to take it to the tech who has your complete trust, not only will he (probably) do a better job, the psychological aspect of it will also play a role and you won't probably look as much for faults as with the other guy.

I would let the tech from your dealer do the work but I would test it out at the store before bringing the guitar home. If there are any issues pont it out to the tech or someone in charge and have them correct it. That's the way I do it at my favorite store and they are more than happy to correct anything. It keeps me coming back to the store to buy more gear and future guitars.

Rewd.

One of my mates just told me that if I take it to another tech, I will stuff up the warranty on the guitar. Maybe I might have to take it to the dealer where I got it and just hope for the best. It sucks big time that I should have to stress over a stupid tech that should be doing his job properly in the first place.

I got a similar deal of free setups on one of mine.......and I normaly am pretty good at adjustments.....so I wanted to see how it came back.

I was disapointed ........and would not pay to have them work on my other guitars.

If you've got a free setup, let him do it. A bad setup won't damage the guitar, so even if you have to pay for another setup somewhere else, you're not out anymore than you would have been if you had done that to begin with - just a bit of your time.

Thanks for all your advice and I'm taking it all on board and I've decided that I'll take it into him this one time and if he stuffs up, well he'll never see me again that's for sure and I'll be certain to tell others not to see him either. On the other hand, if he does a good and proper job and takes good care of the guitar then I will go back for future setups etc.

I'm taking it in tomorrow for the setup and I'll keep y'all informed as to the result.

When you go in to the store have the Owner or head honcho there when you

talk to the tech. Tell them both your concerns. You know how you weren't

happy with the Strat set up and you want this one done right. Get them to agree

it will be done right. Then explain what you expect out of the set up. If they don't

get it right tell them and ask what they are going to do to get it right.

CW

Yeah, see what you can do to salvage what you have.

Misunderstanding?

They don't know you aren't happy if you don't tell them.

They'll think you were happy as can be if that's how you left.

Do everybody a favor and try to let them know you have something "a little different" in mind for your SG.

Then shop around, use different techs for small stuff and see how you like dealing with them.

It's a relationship thing - would you be friends with somebody who always lets you down?

When you find a guy who you feel good with, and he consistently gets the job done, then

pay him his asking price and don't b!tch about how long he takes.

He has other customers because he's good at what he does and is in wide demand.

Do really want the guy who's cheap/quick because nobody wants to pay him for his work?

I'm lucky, I've managed to become friends with the best guitar guy I've ever met.

It may be worth the price for you to buy a plane ticket from Oz to Arizona...

[biggrin]

I'm in Oz...who's the dealer? Tech? I had a similiar thing with my local music store in Bondi Junction....New Epi....had fret buzz etc...they took it...did setup...still buzzed but in different place...they dressed the frets etc...still the same...at least they did it for free....and I have my Gibson now which is great setup from the case.......

If you find a good Tech here, let me know hisher number...

Well, I took the SG in today just after midday, and asked what time to pick it up. I was told to pick it up Friday, but I really wasn't happy about leaving my treasure there (geez I'm a fussy bugger) until then, so my friend who works there suggested that for now to just buy some new strings and put them on and see how that goes since I have six months to use the free setup deal.

So what I've done is I bought some new Gibson strings (10's) and put them on, and I've decided I won't be taking it back to this particular tech (I just have too many doubts about this guy) and for the setup I'll fork out the cash and have it done properly by another tech I've used before whose never let me down and has always been more than helpful. I'm a "once bitten twice shy" kinda guy and with being bitten already I just didn't want to take the risk with THIS guitar because it just means so much to me, I couldn't bear it if anything happened to it.

So that's basically it. Thanks for all your advice guys!

Boyvader... I live in Adelaide so it's a little out the way for you since you hail from Sydney, and I'm not familiar with any techs up where you are, although I'm sure you'd have more to choose from there than we have down here.

Neoconman.... I'd be on the plane in a flash if I had the money. I'd love to travel to the US and maybe one day I will. But for now I'll have to settle for what's available here. But thanks all the same! :)

Archived