Gibson Brands Forums

Different tastes....

nickb

I know that everyone has one. I am always curious what tastes others have in music. We all have an album that we put on for different reasons. For me "Habits Old and New" always feels fresh and clean with a somewhat hallowing sound. I guess I just want to be turned on with something new or old. What is always the first record you pull out when you want to remember why you picked up your guitar?

Music From Big Pink - The Band

- The Band have influenced me more than any other single band/artist.

- The music on that album makes me think of the older times when I wasnt alive, makes me want to be around back then.

-Amazing songwriting

-I could go on but I wont.

Hey RASHARU I noticed earlier in my quest for a new Guitar you said that you originally liked the sit down jams of hank and his SJ. But i was wondering why you went with the J45 instead.

I'm a sucker for the BLING.. that's just the simple truth. I'll still buy a nice used SJ someday, I hope.

Music From Big Pink - The Band

- The Band have influenced me more than any other single band/artist.

- The music on that album makes me think of the older times when I wasnt alive' date=' makes me want to be around back then.

-Amazing songwriting

-I could go on but I wont.[/quote']

I disagree, we could do with a Band appreciation thread!

I discovered them about 10 years ago at about the time I picked up the guitar again (after 20yrs) and love them to bits.

As for albums:

Quadrophenia - The Who. (When I first started playing)

Unplugged - Eric Clapton. (After the 20 yr break)

+1 one on the Band (would have been "brown" album for me). Deep music vs radio fluff. But for solo acoustic stuff, it would be Ernie Hawkins cd Blues Advice. Good clean Davis-style picking on a J35 and J200. Always goes down fine and never leaves an aftertaste. J

Willis Alan Ramsey. He released one album in 1972 on Leon Russell's Shelter label and that was it. There have been rumors of more for years but nothing has ever materialized. A Texas songwriter deluxe that is mostly unheard of outside of the state. The Captain & Tennille had a radio hit with Muskrat Love, one of the songs on Willis' one offering (titled Muskrat Candlelight on his album and, to my ear, a much better, soulful rendition). This is one recording I never get tired of hearing. Some stunning writing here:

Goodbye to Old Missoula A tale of unrequited love in the heart of a circuit rodeo cowboy.

Boy From Oklahoma Perhaps the finest song ever written about Woody Guthrie

Geraldine & The Honeybee A honeybee professes his love for a flower

Angel Eyes To my ears, one of the finest love songs ever written

This is one you acoustic singer/songwriter types will find amazing. It was rumored that Mr Ramsey got burned out on touring in support of this album and promptly retired from the business......unsubstantiated, of course. From time to time he does show up on-stage in various places in Texas but he doesn't tour, so to speak. This is the album that made me rethink songwriting as a craft.........great stuff! Take a free listen on his MySpace page.....

Willis Alan Ramsey

Archived