Gibson Brands Forums

do you only listen to guitar music?

S t e v e

What would you call "guitar music" steve?

I try to listen to everything' date=' but I also when I like it a lot I try to translate it to guitar as it's the instrument I play better.

[/quote']

music with guitars in [blink] jokes, i listen to stuff like uk garage and a bit of house witch are minus the "guitar" because i do like a bit of heavy bass beats :-&

Actually... yes. ONLY guitar-based / related music. As a matter of fact, I refuse to listen to no-guitar-solos-supposed-to-be-neo-rock stuff. Or punk.

I do have and love a couple of movie soundtracks, but I do get to listen to them only a couple of times a year (on a warm summer evening, sitting on my veranta, mostly...).

But 99,99% of my listening time, goes to guitar-based / related music.

I love bagpipes' date=' cellos,...Symphonies, opera, straight drums..."Drum Line" Zoe Saldana is soooooo hot.[/quote']

Here's some Buns Kickin' Cello...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9t1kicp2jE[/YOUTUBE]

OT- Sometimes I get downright sick of Guitar Music, I usually listen to lots of Piano and Organ when that happens. Leon Russel, Ray Charles, Billy Preston, (early) Elton John, or what have you.

As a guitar player you can learn a lot from listening to other instruments, for soloing and accompanying. I learned a bunch about chords, voicings and their usage from having to copy keyboard parts in a band with no keyboardist. I even developed a chart to transpose keyboard notes into guitar chords.

I'm currently playing jazz, and most jazz guitar is a cross somewhere between the piano and the saxophones. The more I hear/study/learn about other instruments, the better guitar player I become.

Archived