Gibson Brands Forums

Got GAS?

Silenced Fred

Actually, no. There are fleeting things that I want but not much that's lingered.

Stuff I want:

Peterson Strobostomp 2

Morpheus Droptune (but, only because we're playing ONE cover song that needs detuning)

That's really it.

Edit: Aw hell... I really do want an old Marshall 2204 head and 4x12. Okay, yes, I do have GAS.

Actually' date=' no. There are fleeting things that I want but not much that's lingered.

Stuff I want:

Peterson Strobostomp 2

Morpheus Droptune (but, only because we're playing ONE cover song that needs detuning)

That's really it.

Edit: Aw hell... I really do want an old Marshall 2204 head and 4x12. Okay, yes, I do have GAS.[/quote']

I never tried that Morpheus Droptune but ive seen lots of videos.

Have you tried it in real life?

I need a clean boost or an eq pedal for lead. Haven't found any that I like yet. [biggrin]

I tried a MXR M-133 Micro Amp, it was pretty cool. -It didn't seem to add anything extra to my tone, just gave it a little oomph.

I need a clean boost or an eq pedal for lead. Haven't found any that I like yet. [biggrin]

What sort of qualities are you looking for? One that's neutral sounding or one that adds some personality (or at least gives you that option)? Should it boost just volume (run through an effects loop) or push the preamp (between the guitar and amp)? Totally clean or with some dirt?

There are TONS of options when it comes to boost pedals (clean or otherwise) so I can totally relate. For me, I use a "Solo" feature on my amp that activates via a remote footswitch and it boosts the amps volume like running a clean boost through the effects loop. However, I'm considering running a clean boost through the loop instead as having to fiddle with two sets of volume controls when adjusting my amp's loudness is a PIA when I could leave the clean boost how I like it and just turn up one volume control on the amp. I also use a treble booster but it runs between the guitar and the amp; it doesn't actually increase the volume since the amp is already overdriven, but throws in some additional dirt and helps my leads cut through better.

I run through a JCM800 50watter, with just a wah between the guitar and the amp. I like my settings the way they are right now, which includes allmost full gain.

I'm using my vol/tone-knobs on the LP like crazy, but when I'm playing lead I'm still missing that little extra.

I'm not looking for anything that'll change my tone but I'd like the possibility if needed. That's why I've ruled out the vol-pedals.

The boost-pedals I've tried changes the tone I think. So I guess I'm looking for an eq-pedal so I can turn the volume up and leave the other settings neutral. Or something. Am I way off in my way of thinking here?

I run through a JCM800 50watter' date=' with just a wah between the guitar and the amp. I like my settings the way they are right now, which includes allmost full gain.

I'm using my vol/tone-knobs on the LP like crazy, but when I'm playing lead I'm still missing that little extra.

I'm not looking for anything that'll change my tone but I'd like the possibility if needed. That's why I've ruled out the vol-pedals.

The boost-pedals I've tried changes the tone I think. So I guess I'm looking for an eq-pedal so I can turn the volume up and leave the other settings neutral. Or something. Am I way off in my way of thinking here?[/quote']

Well, it seems like you want a pedal that won't change your tone unless you want it to. The most neutral pedal I've tried that doesn't do a thing except increase signal is the Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso (there seems to actually a very slight increase in low end but that might just be perceptual). It has a ton of boost available. I have an older version that doesn't have the "Fat" switch so I can speak for the current model. The downside is there isn't any real tone options that you might want.

I think you're probably on the right track of considering an EQ pedal if you want the added flexibility. Personally, I like an increase in upper mids for solos so that they really cut through even though that's not what I'm doing now as what I'm doing works well enough; you might prefer some other tonal shape. Either a straight clean boost or an EQ pedal are both handy tools to have.

I've had GAS to get my mind off of the absolute nonsense, madness, and stress that I've been faced with on the job over the last several years. I got some part-time custodian jobs to help pay for GAS; and sell some of the stuff I had so I could focus on guitars and music.

I sold my non Gibby guitars and got two 2007 limited edition guitars; a heritage cherry Explorer and an antique black SG with gold hardware. Then I got two more additional guitars from 2007; non-reverse custom shop Firebird in TV white and a Pelham Blue ES-335 Diamond Dot. Things were getting worse at work so I got my mind off of it by getting a 2007 VOS SG in TV Yellow and a 2008 SG Green Robot.

My battle is still on with "Tammany Hall", but I will keep fighting! As for additional guitars; my wife thinks I better get off the GAS! I'm a hacker musician, but I like to think I get better as time goes on. When things get straightened out at work; maybe I will acquire another Gibson and name it: "Victory"!

So many nice Gibson guitars out there; GAS is a natural addiction even when you don't have to get your mind off of things!

Archived