Gibson Brands Forums

Who reports news the best?

daveinspain

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Long live Uncle Walter.

Cronkite?

Have you heard some of the stupid sh!t he's been rambling on about in the last decade?

He used to be one of the most highly regarded newsmen in America.

He could have quietly rested on his laurels' date=' but noooooo.....

In 1995 I would have agreed with you in lamenting his absence from the air.

In 2010 he's an idiot.

(We have the Cronkite School of Propaganda in Journalism here at ASU. I hear him all the time - local media loves him.)

majority of people in the US may identify as christian we are not a Theocracy

The majority.

That's what I was talking about.

Private citizens making private choices on the choice in Faith' date=' and the substantial majority are Christian.

Then a few weeks from that little Presidential Faux Pas, he said that the USA [b']IS[/b] a Muslim nation.

Prez sez, so it must be true, eh?

Same with the local paper here - and CNN.

Just like when the New Prez sent 17,000 troops to Afghanistan in the middle of the night.

Not a mention of it on CNN for a couple of days - after the news broke elsewhere and spread like wildfire.

Wait....

I thought this war was gonna be over after the 2006 elections...

... after the 2008 elections....

... after 16 months as POTUS....

Now we're disarming our nuke arsenal and hoping everybody else (Iran) will play along....

Just when you think you've heard EVERYTHING.....

What is the role of the journalist/reporter? What is it about being a journalist that attracts people to that profession? How has journalism changed?

In the history of modern cultures, the press has assumed the roll of protector of the people from their government. Benjamin Franklin had his Poor Richard's Almanac during pre-Revolutionary War times, and the role of the press in the French and Russian Revolutions was to encourage citizens to overthrow repressive regimes. The agenda of the press has always been liberal. Leaders who support the status quo (by definition conservative) are generally targets of the media.

In more modern times, journalists like Edward R. Murrow and Woodward and Bernstein have inspired younger people to pursue careers in the media through their exposure of corrupt governments and other injustices. Where modern media has exceeded its role is in the pursuit of the scoop, the story, and the more sensational, the more it sells. The veracity of the point of view is secondary. Truth takes a back seat to sales, and often truth is hidden by agenda in government and in reporting. And the competition in media is so great that a story must be sensational to get to the public.

Archived