Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird Vs. Dove...

Jinder

Here's a toughie...

I love my Hummingbird-it's a great sounding instrument and is now well played in and very responsive. It sounds great onstage and in the studio, and is nice for writing, too.

However, I recently sent it in for a fret dress and setup, during which time I gave my SJ200 my full attention revelling in the Maple tone I love so much and enjoying the extra space under my left hand, afforded by the long scale neck.

So, when the Hummingbird came home I was surprised to find that the short-scale neck felt decidedly cramped-not something that had ever bothered me before, but seemed very apparent after a month of playing my '200 for four or five gigs a week and several studio jags.

And then it happened...my local guitar emporium have just taken delivery of a batch of new Gibsons, a couple of J45s, a Hummingbird, an SWD and a glorious, beautiful Dove.

I know they could cut me a good deal and I could trade my Hummingbird for the Dove with not too much outlay. However, I'm really sore at the thought of losing my Hummingbird, cramped neck or not, as I've played some landmark shows (to me, anyway) with it, it came with me to two sessions on Radio Two, I played the Royal Albert Hall with it, etc etc., so it has some sentimental value to me to say the least.

But that Dove, all spacious necked and replete with glorious Maple clang, boom and steam keeps calling me...

What do I do?

What are you fine chaps' and chappesses' experiences of Dove Vs. Hummingbird?

I've owned a Dove in the past, but at the time I was doing band work and it suited my bandmate's parts better than mine at the time so I kept the Bird and the Dove went to him.

I've always wanted another, though...help!

You seem very attached to your Bird. Don't let it go. I've made a couple of moves like that over the years and I'm still kicking myself for not learning on the first one. After doing it twice, I've never done it again. I recommend you save for a Dove or find a way to swing the deal on this one you've mentioned without letting go of your Bird.

Jinder, what about trading your J200? I dont hear the same level of attachment to that one. That way, you keep your bird and get the maple sound in a Jinder-friendly package. The Dove and the Bird would make a nice 1-2 punch + similar box size and neck profiles, more or less. Just a thought. J

Thanks for your thoughts, guys!

JK-I could never part with my SJ200...I think I downplayed my love for, and attachment to, that guitar! Me and the '200 have been through hell and high water together, it's been around the world with me and together we've played upwards of 1000 gigs over the years and have made five records together. It's had a broken headstock put back on, is currently on it's fourth set of machineheads, has had the top partially relacquered to fix the years of pick wear that had been eating away the nitro (and Spruce, in the end-hence the refinish!), is on it's third pickup, second nut, fourth bridge saddle and second set of frets...the phrase "played in" doesn't even apply-when around 99% of other guitars, this one sits them down, lights a pipe and starts telling them war stories.

So I could never part with my SJ200!! Plus the poor thing looks like it went through Katrina-if it was a person, it'd be Shane Macgowan...but with the voice of Tim (or Jeff) Buckley. As valuable and precious as it is to me, I doubt many would see past the war wounds well enough to want to pay me anywhere near what it's worth to me in personal terms.

I think all of you fine gents are right-I need to find a way to keep my Bird and save for a Dove. I may well end up with the three most "Girly"/"Country" (delete as appropriate, and just to avoid any confusion, I'm not suggesting country music is "girly" by any means!!) guitars on the market, but I don't care!

As I mentioned in previous thread, I just put in a claim with PRS for a chunk of unclaimed royalties, so come October I will have some money to play with-I've already allocated (read as:justified to fiancée) this money to the guitar fund, and I'm either going to pursue a Maple J45, an AJ or a Dove...I'm edging closer to the Dove after today, though.

Whilst on the topic, a great quote from a friend of mine re the Dove..."The Dove is a beautiful instrument, but I'm not sure I'd want to play a guitar with a Pigeon on the scratchplate"

Jinder,

Those of us with big hands can appreciate the longer scale

that the Dove provides. In the end, your hand will never

get any smaller nor your fingers thinner. Same for the

scale of the Hummingbird....it won't get any longer.

Your comfort level when playing the Dove vs. the Hummingbird

will ultimately determine what stays. Go with what fits.

Btw two Dove's have passed through my hands. One was from the late 60s/early 70s, built like and tank and all the tonal grace of same. The other was Nashville era, much more responsive, but the Quaker stream that flows from my pop's side could not deal with the flash. Traded it for a D35, I think (there was a dealer back then who did straight swaps for full dollar value--those were the days). Funny, had a 66-77 Bird around the same time, swapped it for a Martin, too. Never bonded with either of those Martins. Good sound, but no funkiness. Is there a theme going here?

...the phrase "played in" doesn't even apply-when around 99% of other guitars' date=' this one sits them down, lights a pipe and starts telling them war stories.

[/quote']

What a great phrase!

As for the Bird v Dove. Tough call. I tend to agree with where the thread is going. Keep the Bird. You and it make a great combination. The Dove lust will keep you on the straight and narrow until later in the year.

Incidentally, given that the 200 and the Dove are both maple, does this give you a similar tone? I know the body shape has a big influence but what's your take on this?

The way I learned it.......A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

In this case, it's a Hummingbird that's been happily in your hands making music and memories that you'll only pine for if you dismiss the history you two have together. Keep the 'Bird and plan for the Dove.

Couple of years ago I had a great J-50, I sold it because I bought a J-45 Custom Koa. I regret that decision, the J-45 was prettier but I didn't have anything soundwise on the J-50. Hold onto your H-bird.

Okay, you've swayed me-the Bird is staying put!

AJ, the tonal difference between the Dove and SJ200 is surprisingly large...the SJ200 has a "rounder" sound, with a big, plummy bass, slightly scooped mids and free, slinky treble tones.

The Dove has a more focussed yet even more pronounced bass tone than the SJ200, growly, forward mids and a dynamic, almost squared-off top end. The Dove is a louder guitar and more aggressively voiced, like a lusty grapple as opposed to the SJ200's big-cuddle-and-a-kiss-on-the-cheek.

The Hummingbird is different again altogether-quieter, warmer, more complex in the midrange with less bottom end whoomph and a slightly feathery top end...a much more subtle tone, better for some things but not as ballsy.

I love both but in the end chose the Dove for the tone and feel. I still miss my bird anytime I see one any where... Not enough to make me sell/trade it though. Get what fits your style and that moves you every time you play it. I feel it every time I pick up and play the guitars I have.

I know y'all will assume I'd push the Dove, and there is no doubt it's a great guitar for everything I do...but I am planning on adding a 'Bird to my stable. I have always loved the Hummingbird, and was my original "dream guitar". As you've all heard, I got the Dove because my wife knew I wanted a Gibson "bird" guitar, but didn't know which one, so she bought me my Dove back in 1980.

I have found a Hummingbird KOA for sale about 10 minutes from my house....I just need to come up with $4K my wife won't miss!

Well, I know my opinion wont be regarded as much, but...IMO both guitars are ugly! However, when ever I pick up a HB as I do in various places, regardless of age, it has to be one of the best sounding guitars ever! I love short scale, and mahogany. That said, Jinder, you do have some very special attachment to that guitar. The moment you leave it in the shop is when you will miss it for ever. Don't do it. I have a Martin M36 1993 which I bought new in Bermuda - almost 18 years ago, not the best guitar I have had but lots of history, and all the marks, knocks and imperfections are mine. I will keep it.

Well' date=' I know my opinion wont be regarded as much, but...IMO both guitars are ugly! However, when ever I pick up a HB as I do in various places, regardless of age, it has to be one of the best sounding guitars ever! I love short scale, and mahogany. That said, Jinder, you do have some very special attachment to that guitar. The moment you leave it in the shop is when you will miss it for ever. Don't do it. I have a Martin M36 1993 which I bought new in Bermuda - almost 18 years ago, not the best guitar I have had but lots of history, and all the marks, knocks and imperfections are mine. I will keep it.[/quote']

Why do you think your opinion won't be regarded as much? Opinions are like buttholes... every has one....and your's is just as irrelevant as anyone else's!

Well, the reason I say that, is because, generally speaking the Dove and Hummingbird are loved at least by most of the contributors to this thread. I may be on the outside of core opinion.

Well' date=' the reason I say that, is because, generally speaking the Dove and Hummingbird are loved at least by most of the contributors to this thread. I may be on the outside of core opinion.[/quote']

Just 'cause I have these doen't mean I'm partial:

DSC01286.jpg?t=1270756309

Jinder,

Those "Doves" are brilliant, but please - don't give up YOUR "Hummingbird"

I love the sound of YOUR "Hummingbird" guitar.

I work as a medical representative for a homeopathy drug company.

Every day I spend several hours in my car.

I listen to your CD's in my car and I listen to your Hummingbird, and - man I tell you - you know what to do with THIS guitar, and I know that if you lose her you WILL BE SORRY...

You're right, Krasi...the Bird has to stay!

I'm touched that you listen to my music regularly, thankyou for the kind words!

I really enjoyed your version of Helldorado by the way, absolutely fantastic...great to hear Mr Gibs in action! Do you have an album on the way? I'm sure I'm not alone here in saying I'd love to own one if so.

Archived