Gibson Brands Forums

Back To The Egg

deepblue

Call me old, call me mellow, but I must confess that for the past while my family and myself

having been watching two old classics on the telly....In fact we DVR them to watch together.

In this day and age of too much violence and sex on the screen, we have taken to

Little House On The Prairie, and The Waltons.

The story lines are simple and sometimes cheesy, but its something we all enjoy.

Great shows with wonderful family values. Its such a nice change from the crap thats on

tv these days.

Am I too old? (46)...anyone else here a closet retro-telly junkie?

Call me old' date=' call me mellow, but I must confess that for the past while my family and myself

having been watching two old classics on the telly....In fact we DVR them to watch together.

In this day and age of too much violence and sex on the screen, we have taken to

Little House On The Prairie, and The Waltons.

The story lines are simple and sometimes cheesy, but its something we all enjoy.

Great shows with wonderful family values. Its such a nice change from the crap thats on

tv these days.

Am I too old? (46)...anyone else here a closet retro-telly junkie?[/quote']

Family Affair...

While I never liked either of those shows you mentioned I do like to watch some older shows.

I enjoy the ocassional re-run of MASH but I don't have a lot of free time to watch TV so I'm pretty selective about what I watch.

Talk about age and preference. I watch, House; to see the true caring he tries to hide, blah, blah, blah. And, I watch old ( I mean old ones) John Wayne movies because the good guys always win and the violence is so hoaky it's laughable. [blink] Ok, I'm a little toasted. Name a member of this thing who isn't so.

Edit type thing: Somtimes, Lana Turner is in those old movies!

Anything before the CBS "Rural Purge" was good entertainment. Back then the writers actually had some creativity. Now-a-days, they re-package old shows with a bit... nay a lot of tittiliaton, just because they can't write any better.

Waltons

Hawaii 50

Mannix

The Andy Griffith Show

I Dream of Jeanne

Gilligan's Island.

All Funny, entertaining stuff.

I love TV Land and Nick at Nite. About the only old shows that I have time to watch anymore are episodes of "All In The Family" after work but I also love The **** Van Dyke Show, Mary Tyler Moore, The Addams Family, The Munsters, Green Acres, Sanford & Son - really, most of the old sitcoms.

Today's Humor is so Cheap and Obvious it's hardly entertaining. I like old Sanford and Son, MASH, WKRP, and a lot of that older stuff. Love old Star Trek and Twilight Zones, too. And of course I love John Wayne Movies, Bogart and Cagney, too

There too much "Sex Sells" attitude in today's entertainment, it gets in the way of other subject matter. I'm not a Prude by any stretch of the imagination, but I do like variety in my entertainment. I want to be caught off guard by a Joke or a Topic, not be able to predict every joke and story outcome because Sex will be in the punchline.

we have taken to Little House On The Prairie' date=' and The Waltons.

Great shows with wonderful family values.

Its such a nice change from the crap thats on tv these days.

Am I too old? (46)...anyone else here a closet retro-telly junkie?[/quote']

I have an odd twist on this one.

Mrs. Neo (just over 40) was the original country gal, raised on a farm, ate her pets, little or no TV.

In high school, they never had cable TV and she didn't watch much of what all her friends did.

Little House On The Prairie, and The Waltons were basic staples of their TV habits.

The story lines are simple and sometimes cheesy, and she didn't care - it reflected their family values.

Her folks are pretty conservative and avoided the more racey shows.

Single mom, working, putting herself through college and raising her boy, her TV was pretty much kid shows.

Not until we started dating several years ago did she ever spend much time with cable or satellite.

I've had satellite since 1997, but I'm a news/history/documentary guy.

By 2005, she had begun to spend a bit more time on the couch at my place with time to surf channels.

She discovered, at the age of 36, what she calls Crap TV.

After we got married, she moved in and began to explore the on-screen guide.

Once she mastered that, and learned how to enter her favorites into her own guide.....

Now in her forties, she has begun to watch all that sh!t that Deep Blue mentioned.

I can't stand it.

And from the other end of the house, I have noticed one thing -

On EVERY ONE of those channels, there are women screaming.

All - the - fxcking - time....

Be it some stupid-*** man-hating movie on the Estrogen Channel, or some "reality" show.

Screaming.

They're cooking, they're screaming.

They're shopping, they're screaming.

They're telling jokes, they're screaming.

They're at a restaurant, they're screaming.

They're at a fashion show, they're screaming.

They're swimming in the pool, they're screaming.

They're driving and talking on the cell phone, they're screaming.

They're watching TV - on TV - they're screaming.

She's learned to keep the volume down....

But she still loves Little House On The Prairie.

Says when she was a little girl on the farm she woulda married Pa Ingalls - he was dreamy...

I actually grew up in Kansas on the remote prairie - I hated that show.

I'm still a news/history/documentary guy.

Since moving back to Kansas (where I also grew up), after living in Los Angeles for 30 years,

I haven't even bothered to hook up an antenna, much less "Cable," or a "Dish!" I get all

the "news" (if you can call it that, anymore?), from Fox or CNN, on the computer. Don't have

need, or desire, for 24-hour a day, mind numbing repetitive news channels. I do miss (kinda)

The History Channel, Discovery, PBS, and very few other channels. I can rent or buy DVD's

of any movies/concerts/documentaries, even old-current (Good) TV programming, that I want

to watch, or keep. I just don't see the need to Pay (Cable rates, especially), for poor quality

programming, all too often.

I'd much rather play guitar, write lyrics, go out and take photos (retired photographer), and/or

just take a walk. But, that's just me!

CB

...And from the other end of the house' date=' I have noticed one thing -

On EVERY ONE of those channels, there are women screaming.

All - the - ... - time....

Be it some stupid-... man-hating movie on the Estrogen Channel, or some "reality" show.

Screaming.

They're cooking, they're screaming.

They're shopping, they're screaming.

They're telling jokes, they're screaming.

They're at a restaurant, they're screaming.

They're at a fashion show, they're screaming.

They're swimming in the pool, they're screaming.

They're driving and talking on the cell phone, they're screaming.

They're watching TV -[i'] on TV[/i] - they're screaming.

It's what they do.

In my 50, mostly odd, years I've learned that women scream.

They communicate to the extreme. They want someone to talk to.

We have to listen and go, "Mmm hmm." [biggrin]

They want you to respond, but don't want your input.

"Which dress do you like best? 'A' or 'B'?"

"Uh.... 'B' dear." Invariably they will leave the house wearing 'A'.

I swim for exercise. We can hear the women folk in the adjacent locker room; "chatter, chatter, chatter, chatter, chatter, chatter,..."

In the men's room: "The water was about right today." "Mmmm, hmmm." [lol] That's IT. Then maybe a, "Have a good day," as someone exits the locker room.

When a husband realizes this and the fact he cannot change it, he will be a happier married man.

Mmmm, hmmm. [biggrin]

Archived