Gibson Brands Forums

Wondering what you guys thought.

yoda

I bought an SG Special from a buddy, he put a Seymour '57 classic in the neck, and a Seymour JB in the bridge. I like it well enough. When I bought the guitar from him he gave me the stock SG Special pick-ups. I was thinking of putting them in my Explorer, I don't play it a lot because I never cared too much for the stock pick-ups. Too "hissy", I was wondering your thoughts. Oh, buy the way it's way cheaper than buying different pick-ups, that's why I want to use the SG p/u's ...........more cash for booze that way [crying]

I bought an SG Special from a buddy' date=' he put a Seymour '57 classic in the neck, and a Seymour JB in the bridge. I like it well enough. When I bought the guitar from him he gave me the stock SG Special pick-ups. I was thinking of putting them in my Explorer, I don't play it a lot because I never cared too much for the stock pick-ups. Too "hissy", I was wondering your thoughts. Oh, buy the way it's way cheaper than buying different pick-ups, that's why I want to use the SG p/u's ...........more cash for booze that way [blink']

Go for it

Worst that can happen is you don't like those pickups, and you find other ones to put in

I have been close to put different pickups in my Explorer many times but I can't get myself to do it since that is what makes the guitar different from my others. Having said that if the pickups are keeping you from playing the Explorer they have to go, no sense in wasting the best neck profile ever designed by Gibson!

More booze eh? yoda, you are truly one of the guys, cheers.

More booze eh? yoda' date=' you are truly one of the guys, cheers.[/quote']

I like my Whisky, what can I say.

P.S.

In the guitar world as a girl, you gotta learn early-on how to keep up with the boys, or you'll always be the "token girl" guitar player. [crying]

Scotch and Irish? Yoda, a girl after my own heart when it comes to libation - if not guitars. <chuckle> Straight, room temp. BTW, in Scotch, something nice and peaty or more as in a lighter Speyside? Old guys like me tend to prefer the heavier stuff but...

I think Axe probably has it right, though, that the SG pickups on another solidbody likely will pretty much end up sounding like the instrument is an SG.

Many years ago I went through the "change this and that" thing myself.

Nowadays I'm a lot less concerned with most aspects of a guitar than with how if feels when I play it... and frankly I think strings and amp settings sometimes are as important a variable as pickups.

For example, there's the guitar you see in my avatar. Got it in the mid 1970s. Had flatwounds, then tape-wrapped heavier strings on it. Never liked it except for pretty. Then about six years ago I put on 9-42 such as I played on other guitars, messed a little with the pickguard and... it's now "MY" guitar after which my others can only play second to at best.

m

One caution - leave the same strings on while you do the swap if you can.

New pickup plus new strings can really mess you up.

You're trying to make a judgment on a tone that will keep changing.

Until the new strings are stretched, broken in and loaded with oil & dirt, you'll be chasing shadows.

By then, you may not remember what the guitar sounded like before.

And the NeoConMan rule of thumb for humbucker pickups - lower output --> warmer, sweeter tone.

You can always boost it a bit to make her a little more naughty....

I like my Whisky' date=' what can I say.

P.S.

In the guitar world as a girl, you gotta learn early-on how to keep up with the boys, or you'll always be the "token girl" guitar player. [thumbup

Girls rock!

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks guys for all the input, I was pretty sure I was going to swap them out anyway I just need a nudge. [biggrin] I've never heard the pickups in question, I've never played a stock special.

Scotch and Irish? Yoda' date=' a girl after my own heart when it comes to libation - if not guitars. <chuckle> Straight, room temp. BTW, in Scotch, something nice and peaty or more as in a lighter Speyside? Old guys like me tend to prefer the heavier stuff but...

[/quote']

I like Speyside Scotch the most, but rocks for me. For Irish Whisky I like Powers a lot. For mixers i like Burbon.

The Speysides were my first introduction to better Scotch back when I was a kid - about 30 as I recall, and it was in an office overlooking the docks in Rotterdam. <grin> Before that it was more the Haig and Johnny Walker stuff... Yeah, the intro to single malts was enlightening. But where I was living there wasn't the availability, either, back then.

Now, it's more Islay, especially Laphroaig 'cuz it's so peaty.

Music connection?

Yeah, I think so.

It's my observation that older folks tend to look more broadly into standards and stuff that may not be the wilder jump up and down and guzzle guitar playing or whisky drinkin', but more the sip and savor varieties.

Hey, I paid some rock dues myself. It's just been a while. <grin> Old rockers never die - they just play blues...

m

Archived