Gibson Brands Forums

Picked up a '50s J-185!

J185-4Me

I've been on the hunt for one of these for some time now, and I recently came across this 1956 J-185, which .....um .... "followed me home". [-(

I've owned about 9 or 10 Bozeman-made J-185s over the last about 15 years -- still have one -- but have always hoped to find an original 1950s model.

This is a 1956 J-185:

IMGP6467.jpg

IMGP6468.jpg

IMGP6479.jpg

Back side:

IMGP6494.jpg

It is definitely a guitar that has been played. It used to sport a DeArmond type pick up, I believe, as attested by remnant holes that held the thing in place, and the obligatory patched side jack hole in the lower treble-side bout. Also is subject to some pickguard shrinkage. Neck reset, partial refret.

But -- sounds GREAT!! Plays nice!

Here's a shot of it hanging out with one of its great-nephews, my 2001 "Dave's Guitar 51 re-issue":

IMGP6432.jpg

Good news for Bozeman: although the '56 sounds really good, the '01 holds its own quite well. They both have a good strong voice, well-defined tone and good balance, but the '56 just sounds more 'mature', more played-in.

Fred

If you ever become a crack addict and need to sell her quick let me know' date=' I'll drive to you and pay cash...[/quote']

You might not have to wait too long. Our dear friend Mr. Fred is clearly afflicted with an addiction that comes at a higher price than any of your urban street rocks-- 'Gibsonitis Vintigeous'... Once you start your downward spiral into the land of Vintage Gibsons, it isn't long before you're hocking your appliances and your kids no longer seem to be college material.

Clearly, any man who will fly half way across the country just to visit a shabby vintage guitar show in Texas is in trouble.

(I'd organize an intervention posse, but am hoping to scoop up one or two of his collection before assisting with any effort to rehab the poor sob....)

Clearly, any man who will fly half way across the country just to visit a shabby vintage guitar show in Texas is in trouble.

I resent that comment! Or maybe I resemble that comment. I was at that

"shabby vintage guitar show" and came away with a couple of guitars of my own.

Not to say my wife was overly pleased by my acquisitions but that is getting off track.

Congratulations on the "new" old J-185!!

I've been on the hunt for one of these for some time now' date=' and I recently came across this 1956 J-185, which .....um .... "followed me home". [/quote']

I meant to ask, did it follow you home from the guitar show in Dallas, or some place else?

Red 333

Fred, I'm happy to see you found one you liked! Looks great. Now you own two of Gibson's finest guitars. I have a 1997 J-185, from the Jackson Brown batch, and the 1951. The 97 is a good guitar, the 51is best Gibson guitar flat top I have owned or played.

What is next?

terry

Congrats' date=' Well done.

Having a Bozeman J-185, I often wonder what an original sounds like...... and you know!

http://www.brendandevereux.com[/quote']

Hi Brendan. (Nice to see you here again!)

I came into this knowing full well that some of the 'vintage' stuff doesn't necessarily sound like they should; I have played plenty of the Bozeman J-185s, but -- due to their scarcity -- not many from the original 1951-58 run!

I had played 4 or 5 of the originals prior to attending the Dallas show, and they were frankly not all they were reputed to be.

Having taken my 2001 along as my bellweather guide, as it were, I tried to compare old ones with the new. I encountered three of the 50s run during a particularly fruitful trip back about 7-8 years ago, and of that group, one was downright timid-sounding, one was 'nyeh', and the third was very very nice.

A fourth, a '55 if I recall correctly, was stellar -- simply superb! Would have bought it and moved what it takes to get that one, but it was not for sale.

Now I've sampled a total of 8 of the originals -- not a large amount, less than 0.1% of the total. This one sounds good! Tried two others at the show, and one was okay-to-good and the other was 'nyeh'.

As I said above, though, the good news is the Bozeman stuff is sounding pretty good. I can only imagine that the ones that sound good now, will sound AWESOME in about 20 more years of playing!

Fred

Fred' date=' I'm happy to see you found one you liked! Looks great. Now you own two of Gibson's finest guitars. I have a 1997 J-185, from the Jackson Brown batch, and the 1951. The 97 is a good guitar, the 51is best Gibson guitar flat top I have owned or played.

What is next?

terry[/quote']

Don't know what is next. I have the old old beat up Nick -- that one you know about -- but I would think a '40s SJ could be a possibility. Funny thing is, I played a '46 SJ a couple of weeks ago, and my '53 sounded better than the '46. No need to "trade up" there!

Maybe an early SJ-N, ca. '54/55?

Maybe a '30's L-00?

Who knows -- one day and one guitar at a time.

Fred

You might not have to wait too long. Our dear friend Mr. Fred is clearly afflicted with an addiction that comes at a higher price than any of your urban street rocks-- 'Gibsonitis Vintigeous'... Once you start your downward spiral into the land of Vintage Gibsons' date=' it isn't long before you're hocking your appliances and your kids no longer seem to be college material.

(I'd organize an intervention posse, but am hoping to scoop up one or two of his collection before assisting with any effort to rehab the poor sob....)[/size']

Yeah yeah yeah -- so much talk! Why don't you and Mrs. Hoss come on up sometime; we'll play a bunch of stuff!

Actually, I am now dangerously close to Folkways; I think there is a Gibson-vintage vortex over that place, and I may end up getting sucked into that! Fortunately, their J-185 is gone gone gone.......

Fred

Archived