Gibson Brands Forums

Instrumental Blues

ShredAstaire

I heard about this guy... Gary something or other... I think his last name starts with an N... maybe an M?

Anyone hear about him? I can't remember his name for the life of me?

:- :-k :- I'm a d¡ck...

Hmm' date=' I don't think he's that great a guitarist....

[lol

The "Blues" need a vocalist (IMHO), for that "back and forth" stuff, between them and the guitarist.

But, Jeff Beck has some great instrumental albums...blues, fusion, jazzy...etc. And, Buddy Guy is

another one, who often does some "instrumentals," mixed in with his normal vocal/guitar stylings.

CB

I'd say a lot of my recommendation would depend on one's definition of "blues."

W.C. Handy? No guitars there in the original.

1930s Harlem-type stuff as in Billy Holiday, etc., etc.? Hey, a lot more complex music than three chords and finger speed, and again, little in the way of guitar work until the music began to be reinterpreted in the 1950s. Call it "Blues?" Call it "Jazz?" I dunno.

Delta acoustic stuff? Early Chicago electric? Guys like Butterfield? What of the New York interpretations of the 1960s that combined folk, folk blues and jazz? (Fred Neil for example, or Karen Dalton - both now long gone.)

m

Does anyone have any recommendations for some awesome instrumental blues albums or artists that I can check out?

If you start putting together your own blues tunes' date=' let me know, I would love to jam with you on them. [blink

Archived