Gibson Brands Forums

The Joy of Eclecticism

Gilliangirl

Stayed up til 0330 this morning playing guitar and my fingers are feelin' the pain this morning. I'm just thrilled because I FINALLY got down a skill I've been struggling with for what seems like FOREVER..... palm muting. I've discovered that 5 million YouTube lesson videos can be wrong (for me). After beating myself up over not being able to mute strings using the flat of my palm (as most of them instructed), I found my own way to do it last night. I'm using the flat edge of my thumb. For whatever reason, that works beautifully for me. After getting that down, I proceeded to play a multitude of songs quite differently, and boy was it ever fun!

But the real reason for this thread.... yes, I love my Gil and Dave songs, and my country songs, but the top three songs I played last night?

Chris Daughtry, Over You

Elvis Presley, Baby You're So Square

and the favourite...........

Peter, Paul & Mary, If I Had A Hammer

Sometimes the classics are the best! Long live eclecticism!!! :D/

Sometimes you just develop your own way of doing things when you are playing guitars, and it sounds like you have achieved that. That is a good thing because the end result is that you will have your own sound.

GG do you have any suuggestions for "spouse" muting???!!!

Unfortunately, no. The way I achieved this once was to jump out of a moving van. It worked, but I wouldn't recommend it. I guess you could always throw the spouse out of the moving van too. :D

Welcome to the enchanted land of Eclectica

The freedom is oppressive at times, you may have an urge to learn stuff "properly" --- resist and trust your misguided instincts to lead you even further astray...embrace the uniqueness ---

Never let 'em know you'd play it right if you could but you can't...

Congrats GG.

Sounds like you worked long over that particular skill and finally came up with a method that works for you. In this case inspiration brought a solution over persistence.

Eclectic is certainly one way to describe your favorites. [blink]

Congrats - you just got a good taste of going Old School. When I started playing those blues, the only way to learn was to listen and try and figure out what the heck the guy on the LP or the stage was doing. I don't give a fig if I am doing it "right" or not. All I know is it sounds and feels right to me. I ain't much of a purist anyway and have been know to add a dash of Chuck Berry to my particular blues stew.

I am probably not the most eclectic player around though although I did play "Stairway to Heaven" on the mandolin while goofing around with some folks the other day.

GG,

A big thumbs up to you and your persistence. It's times like this that you realize the guitars (as beautiful/wonderful as they are) are just a means to an end. Our guitars can "inspire" us, but being dedicated enough to put in the time to learn a new technique takes a lot of work for some of us, but can definitely be very rewarding. Being able to express yourself musically in the way you wish is such a great feeling. You've just added to your "tonal vocabulary" in a big way. Congratulations!

All the best,

Guth

Gilliangirl,

You don't like crazy music, you don't like rockin' bands

You just wanna go to the movie show

Sit there holdin' hands

(You're so square) Baby, I don't care.

Jailhouse Rock

What a great pick!

Written by Leiber and Stoller. Also recorded nicely by Buddy Holly, but anything Elvis recorded instantly became "his".

You have excellent taste in music, obviously. Thanks for the reminder of a great tune. Rock on.

Jack6849

Gilliangirl' date='

You don't like crazy music, you don't like rockin' bands

You just wanna go to the movie show

Sit there holdin' hands

(You're so square) Baby, I don't care.

Jailhouse Rock

What a great pick!

Written by Leiber and Stoller. Also recorded nicely by Buddy Holly, but anything Elvis recorded instantly became "his".

You have excellent taste in music, obviously. Thanks for the reminder of a great tune. Rock on.

Jack6849[/quote']

Haha! Thanks! That one and Return To Sender were two of my fav 'Elvis' songs when I was younger. I never get tired of them.

GG.....post some vids of your new technique....

I'd like to see it too --- palm muting (or more accurately meaty pad muting) is quite natural for me, and I cannot even envision how muting with your thumb while holding a pick is physiologically possible --- unless you are an alien.

Perhaps your youtube display should be entitled "Alien Thumb-muters From The Planet Calgatron."

I'd like to see it too --- palm muting (or more accurately meaty pad muting) is quite natural for me' date=' and I cannot even envision how muting with your thumb while holding a pick is physiologically possible --- unless you are an alien.

Perhaps your youtube display should be entitled "Alien Thumb-muters From The Planet Calgatron."

[/quote']

ROFL! Okay I will try and get something together for next weekend. I can't imagine how a person could mute strings with the flat part of their palm, which is why it took me so darn long to get this. Maybe it's how I hold my pick, I dunno?

LOVE Young Frankenstein! Dr. Frankenshteen and Frau Blucher <horses winny>

No such thing as a "favorite quote" from the movie...there are too many!

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Well, dear, are you ready?

Inga: Yes, Doctor.

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Elevate me.

Inga: Now? Right here?

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Yes, yes, raise the platform.

Inga: Oh. Ze platform. Oh, zat, yah, yah... yes.

Archived