Gibson Brands Forums

Is it my imagination....or are FEWER new Gibson's being bought in the Forum???

onewilyfool

Well' date=' makers like Gibson really sell to folks with more money than the average citizen ($5K Brad Paisley J-45???), ... [/quote']

Signature models are much more profitable than standard production models. Selling a $5K Brad Paisley to a dealer nets Gibson hundreds of dollars more than selling a J-45 Std. A Brad Paisley fan's contribution to Gibson's bottom line helps them get the ROI they need to stay in business while doing their best to keep the price of J-45 Stds down to where ordinary folks can afford one.

So. in a sense, selling expensive signature models mostly benefits people who can't afford them. Think of them as a trick to get rich people to give some of their wealth to Gibson.

-- Bob R

That was a 2007 or 2008 Custom J-45 with a honey burst. It was beautiful.... had snowflake inlays for fretmarkers and inlay on the headstock. I liked it but Fred' date=' J1854me on this forum, thought it sounded a bit too thin for his liking. Seems to me it was mahogany b&s but it's been awhile now so I could be wrong. I love that picture simply because there's a whole wall of Taylors and the one getting the attention is the Gibson! Fred took that picture when he was out this way a few years ago.

[/quote']

Hi Karen,

It was a 2007 "J-45 Quilt", made with a figured mahogany back and sides body, sporting an abalone rosette, and having an abalone snowflake inlay on the fingerboard.

More pics:

IMGP1297.jpg

And the back:

IMGP1287.jpg

Fred

I ordered a J-45 from Fullers back in Oct 09 and I got it in February this year.

I think I posted it but hay I'm liking it more every day so

as they say ONE MORE TIME! hahaha[biggrin]

DSCN1025.jpg

DSCN1047.jpg

DSCN1027.jpg

[biggrin]

Oh and the first song played on it was .....Something

It was a 2007 "J-45 Quilt"' date=' made with a figured mahogany back and sides body, sporting an abalaone rosette, and having an abalone snowflake inlay on the fingerboard.[/quote']

That's the same J-45 I have, except I don't have abalone rosette or snowflake inlay. I like that inlay!

[biggrin]

I'm trying to buy a guitar or two' date=' but I just can't find what I'm looking for![/quote']

KL -- Isn't that a line from a U2 Song?

I did some buying and selling about two years ago. I own 7 guitars that are all really cool for various reasons. All fill a niche that I have somehow rationalized that needed to be filled. I think that at the time I felt that better guitars would somehow make my playing sound better, would help me improve my music ....I could argue that on a level they did...but I also know that it is all rationalizing.

But after realizing that really honestly the way to play better is simply to play and at the same time the economy got bumpy....well...I am now in another place in my life. I don't really look around at the guitar market or Craigs List or EvilBay. My focus is on music. If I have any extra cash it has been going into pick ups, singing lessons, recording equipment.

I haven't paid over $130 for a guitar in the past eight months, and I bet I've bought at least 6 or 7. I'm just getting cheap in my old age. I'm also realizing something that I guess I knew all along but refused to hear, and that's the Holy Grail doesn't exist. The Holy Grail is the guitar you pick up and play by default; the one that makes you sound good and makes you want to keep playing, regardless of it's lineage.

I'll never stop buying guitars. I just like having them run through my fingers, even for a short while.

My oldest daughter's mac laptop blew up and my youngest daughter's iPod Touch went through the washing machine, so there'll be a '99 Epi Emperor on ebay soon. I bought it last August and played it about an hour. My kids are more important (spoiled brats).

Here in the U.K. the situation is desperate as far as stock is concerned,the autherised Gibson dealers have been waiting for their new stock for about 18 months now ,you just cannot buy a Gibson if they have an oldish one in the shop the price is crazy, they think all Gibson buyers have huge incomes from their recording contracts maybe,I got my recent Gibson from Fullers in Texas even with importation fees the price was great ,they knocked off a LOT of money from a model I would not normally be able to afford We really need some Gibsons here,Or a shop like Fullers or is Gibson causing this strange phenonemen Hope to see all you U.S.A residents new acquisitions though theres no shame in showing off a new guitar we all work hard to get "em:-({|= :- [blink]:-&

Here in the U.K. the situation is desperate as far as stock is concerned' date='the autherised Gibson dealers have been waiting for their new stock for about 18 months now ,you just cannot buy a Gibson if they have an oldish one in the shop the price is crazy, they think all Gibson buyers have huge incomes from their recording contracts maybe,I got my recent Gibson from Fullers in Texas even with importation fees the price was great ,they knocked off a LOT of money from a model I would not normally be able to afford We really need some Gibsons here,Or a shop like Fullers or is Gibson causing this strange phenonemen Hope to see all you U.S.A residents new acquisitions though theres no shame in showing off a new guitar we all work hard to get "em:-({|= [crying'] [crying][lol]

You know....all you Brits.....if you pay for my way over and back to your little island, and buy me all the beer I can drink, I might be available to "mule" a guitar you buy over here, back to your side of the pond. Just a thought.....lol...It might be cheaper than buying one over there.....

You know....all you Brits.....if you pay for my way over and back to your little island' date=' and buy me all the beer I can drink, I might be available to "mule" a guitar you buy over here, back to your side of the pond. Just a thought.....lol...It might be cheaper than buying one over there.....[/quote']

What a fabulous idea!! [crying]

You know....all you Brits.....if you pay for my way over and back to your little island' date=' and buy me all the beer I can drink, I might be available to "mule" a guitar you buy over here, back to your side of the pond. Just a thought.....lol...It might be cheaper than buying one over there.....[/quote']

Since I don't drink, you wouldn't even have to buy me beer. Maybe some Cadbury's, though. The chocolate is just better over there.

And since I have relatives in Great Britain (mother was a war bride) you wouldn't even have to pay for lodging.

We'll get in a bidding war....

:-k No offence Onewily but I"m gonna have to use Gilliangirl for my courier,Then again some girls capacity for the beer is surprising!(my Grandson seems to have eaten most of the cadburys dhanners) Its a pity Gibson didnt buy them out recently!

Archived