Gibson Brands Forums

Is it my imagination....or are FEWER new Gibson's being bought in the Forum???

onewilyfool

I've bought a few guitars this year (no Gibsons)' date=' but I don't ever post them. Feels wrong to me - like bragging.[/quote']

BK...I don't think it's like bragging, in fact, I get a buzz when someone in the forum gets a new guitar, you can just feel their happiness sometimes. I would love to know which non-Gibsons you got, just to hear what people are playing and how they like their new guitars Gibson or not....I wish you would post pics and give reviews...

I only work part-time now so am in no position to be buying new guitars anymore, unless it's an absolute emergency. Plus, I HAVE two great guitars already. If I get another I'll likely let Lily go to a new owner. I also have other things I have to buy, one being a used but reliable SUV. Those things aren't cheap. Plus my goal is to get the heck out of Alberta and move to BC, where I can buy an acreage for all my fuzzies. That won't be cheap either. Soooooo, guitars are not at the top of my priority list right now*.

* Author of this post reserves the right to change this opinion at any time.

BK...I don't think it's like bragging' date=' in fact, I get a buzz when someone in the forum gets a new guitar, you can just feel their happiness sometimes. I would love to know which non-Gibsons you got, just to hear what people are playing and how they like their new guitars Gibson or not....I wish you would post pics and give reviews...[/quote']

Yup, me too. I don't feel the slightest bit of jealousy or wrath when someone else gets a new guitar. Okay, maybe a bit jealous, but in a good way. Post away your new acquisitions, BK!

BK...I don't think it's like bragging' date=' in fact, I get a buzz when someone in the forum gets a new guitar, you can just feel their happiness sometimes. I would love to know which non-Gibsons you got, just to hear what people are playing and how they like their new guitars Gibson or not....I wish you would post pics and give reviews...[/quote']

Yup' date=' me too. I don't feel the slightest bit of jealousy or wrath when someone else gets a new guitar. Okay, maybe a [i']bit[/i] jealous, but in a good way. Post away your new acquisitions, BK!

OK, I'll take some pics when I get home - or maybe over the weekend. I just try not to get too wrapped up in materialism, but that's hard when GAS takes control of your brain and wallet.

GG, if you ever decide to part ways with Lily, I hope you'll give us forum folk the first shot. I've been itchin' to replace my L-4A with a 185. [cool]

My Blues King was new...I guess I'm the one out there singlehandedly funding the Gibson Guitar Corporation with my purchase!

I love it when a forum member posts a new acquisition. It's exciting, and I know I'm not alone in wanting to share the joy of a new guitar with whoever it has found a home with :-)

Seems to me it is probably an impact of the downturn in the economy -- a downturn, by the way, that most guitar manufacturers seem oblivious to, given their upward spiraling prices.

Then again, given that the upper 1% are raking in (I won't say "earning") oodles more money than the rest of us, maybe they are buying guitars, but they're just not members here.

Seems to me it is probably an impact of the downturn in the economy -- a downturn' date=' by the way, that most guitar manufacturers seem oblivious to, given their upward spiraling prices.

Then again, given that the upper 1% are raking in (I won't say "earning") oodles more money than the rest of us, maybe [i']they[/i] are buying guitars, but they're just not members here.

Well, makers like Gibson really sell to folks with more money than the average citizen ($5K Brad Paisley J-45???), so perhaps they think their wealthier customers aren't hit as hard by the downturn and they don't need to lower prices. Who knows if it's working for them, since they are a private company. There doesn't seem to be an end to overpriced specialty and signature models, so maybe it is.

Seems to me it is probably an impact of the downturn in the economy -- a downturn' date=' by the way, that most guitar manufacturers seem oblivious to, given their upward spiraling prices. [/quote']

What with layoffs, reduced hours for people who are still working, et al., I think it's a pretty safe bet Gibson knows all about the economic downturn. The situation is much the same elsewhere. As far as cost increases are concerned: if per-unit profit is low, when costs go up, you raise prices or go out of business. The old joke to the contrary notwithstanding, increased volume doesn't make up for losing money on each sale.

The only way Gibson or Martin or Taylor or ... can reduce prices and stay in business is to reduce costs. That basically means reducing the amount of labor that goes into building the guitar and/or building it from less expensive materials. Martin has done both with their 1 Series, which, according their own account, was introduced to help them cope with the recession. Gibson Montana is trying -- I've heard rumors of significant production changes that I'm looking forward to checking out at this year's Homecoming -- but has traditionally had a hard time reducing labor costs given their labor-intensive production processes. (I'm thinking of the Working Man series in particular.) There have been some past "successes" in reducing costs by reducing materials costs, but the quality of the product definitely suffered and those deemed responsible were fired.

-- Bob R

Well' date=' makers like Gibson really sell to folks with more money than the average citizen ($5K Brad Paisley J-45???), so perhaps they think their wealthier customers aren't hit as hard by the downturn and they don't need to lower prices. Who knows if it's working for them, since they are a private company. There doesn't seem to be an end to overpriced specialty and signature models, so maybe it is. [/quote']

That pricing struck me as curious as well. I have no idea what the demographic profile of Brad Paisley's audience is, but I'm guessing they might be people who don't have $5,100 in disposable income to spend on a guitar. Then again, I may be guilty of stereotyping and I'm certainly no expert in who the guitar companies are targeting with these artist-endorsed instruments.

That said, I don't mean any of this as a knock against Paisley. He is, by all accounts, the Real Deal, a guy who can play very well, sing well and write a great tune.

Hey GG' date=' what guitar is that you are holding in your avatar???[/quote']

That was a 2007 or 2008 Custom J-45 with a honey burst. It was beautiful.... had snowflake inlays for fretmarkers and inlay on the headstock. I liked it but Fred, J1854me on this forum, thought it sounded a bit too thin for his liking. Seems to me it was mahogany b&s but it's been awhile now so I could be wrong. I love that picture simply because there's a whole wall of Taylors and the one getting the attention is the Gibson! Fred took that picture when he was out this way a few years ago.

You know, I haven't participated in forums before this one, and while I do buy a lot more guitars than I need, in mentioning them, I wasn't trying to brag. I hope my remarks aren't ever seen that way.

I do have a lot of guitars because I have always loved them and I love to play. But, like most people, I don't like braggarts....

Jack6849

I'm not sure anyone here views such lists as bragging. At least they shouldn't. This is a guitar forum and listing your instruments is, in essence, a way of presenting your bona fides.

That said, I never list such things (even though I'm blessed to have some pretty nice guitars) because I was just raised not to talk about your possessions. I'm not saying that people who do list their instruments are wrong in doing so, but the way I was raised, we just didn't talk about what we owned.

That said' date=' I never list such things (even though I'm blessed to have some pretty nice guitars) because I was just raised not to talk about your possessions. I'm not saying that people who do list their instruments are wrong in doing so, but the way I was raised, we just didn't talk about what we owned. [/quote']

Yeah.... same here. I had mine listed on my sig for a couple days, then it just bugged me so much I took it off.

Archived