Gibson Brands Forums

Which hand is "better"?

ShredAstaire

In terms of accuracy and sound, I find my fretting hand is better than my picking hand. Which to me, means I need to work on some picking exercises.

Example: I can run through a scale with my fretting hand quickly without picking, but when i bring the pick into play, the scale slows down significantly.

What about yous guys?

My picking hand used to be pretty good. I was a bit of an alternate picking fanatic thanks to becoming an Al DiMeola fan at an early age. These days I don't practise or play as much as I used to so I'm a lot less accurate now.

Well as usual I will be the oddball. I think my picking hand might be better. I think I may have developed that during my bass playing years.

That's me, too, and for the same reason.

That said, a classical picker makes me look like an arthritic lemur...

Mine are equal also' date=' your comment reminds me of a comment made about me around 2 decades ago.

The person (my original best friend who passed away a long time ago) said; Eric Clapton is nicknamed "Slowhand" because of his lighting fast lead licks. So Mike said I should be called Fasthand for the exact opposite reasons.

God rest his soul........

[/quote']

If anyone wants a CLEAR demonstration between "Slowhands" and "Fasthands" just watch Stevie Ray Vaughan and his brother, Jimmy Vaughan.

I haven't done much flatpickin' the past 6 or 8 years, but mostly when I did, the pick just kinda followed what the left hand did... Nothin' fancy, just a bit of 'grass 'n' bass runs.

Fingerpickin' is a whole different thing. My head tells me my left hand does it's thing that I think about, and the right hand just seems to do its thing on its own...

m

I'm so sloppy, I can't tell which one is better. I would probably say picking because I have a light touch and enough speed to suit me, but I'm not real good at skipping strings. Immigrant Song is a ***** for me to play. I have small hands which makes fretting a problem.

Example: I can run through a scale with my fretting hand quickly without picking' date=' but when i bring the pick into play, the scale slows down significantly.

[/quote']

Yup...my sweeps would sound better if my picking hand was better. Practice, practice, practice.

Archived