Gibson Brands Forums

People Magazine's 100 Most Beautiful

dROK83

Not sure if anyone on here has followed this, but I heard today on Howard Stern that Gabourey Sidibe is on the list. For those of you who don't know who she is, she was in the movie "Precious"

gabourey-sidibe.jpg

Please, PLEASE tell me we haven't become so PC that we now have to say this is beautiful. I'll admit, there are a lot of bigger girls that are very beautiful, but you can't tell me this is one of them.

Maybe People Magazine doesn't realize the damage this does? I understand everyone needs to be comfortable with themselves, but doesn't this give the impression that it is OK to be obese? Cause that's what she is, and it is a real health risk. They really shouldn't be encouraging people to content with obesity.

I wasn't making fun of anyone, I simply don't think that she belongs on the 100 Most Beautiful, and I think it sends the wrong message putting her on there. Since Howard Stern brought this topic up on his show (commenting about her weight, and saying it will prevent her from getting any leading role in Hollywood, and the health risks associated with being that big) it seems mainstream media has gone out of their way to make her feel like there is nothing wrong with her. Well there is, SHE IS OBESE, it's one of the biggest (no pun intended) epidemics in America.

Tell me, if she deserves to be on the 100 Most Beautiful list, why aren't Ralphie May and Gabriel Iglesias on there too?

Just thought it was a good topic for discussion, I didn't ask anyone to start posting fat jokes.

I wasn't making fun of anyone' date=' I simply don't think that she belongs on the 100 Most Beautiful, and I think it sends the wrong message putting her on there. Since Howard Stern brought this topic up on his show (commenting about her weight, and saying it will prevent her from getting any leading role in Hollywood, and the health risks associated with being that big) it seems mainstream media has gone out of their way to make her feel like there is nothing wrong with her. Well there is, SHE IS OBESE, it's one of the biggest (no pun intended) epidemics in America.

Tell me, if she deserves to be on the 100 Most Beautiful list, why aren't Ralphie May and Gabriel Iglesias on there too?

Just thought it was a good topic for discussion, I didn't ask anyone to start posting fat jokes.[/quote']

I know, I didn't mean you.

Beauty is in the soul....i've met plenty of hot *** chicks with black as coal souls....I wouldn't touch them with dem00n's member...

Its not about the weight either...i agree that many of you guys are acting like 10 year olds....what adult makes fun of fat people?

Please' date=' PLEASE [b']tell me we haven't become so PC[/b] that we now have to say this is beautiful. I'll admit, there are a lot of bigger girls that are very beautiful, but you can't tell me this is one of them.

Maybe People Magazine doesn't realize the damage this does? I understand everyone needs to be comfortable with themselves, but doesn't this give the impression that it is OK to be obese? Cause that's what she is, and it is a real health risk. They really shouldn't be encouraging people to content with obesity.

great post!

the fat jokes are pretty messed up though

I don't think we're doing the Morbidly Obese any favors by calling them Beautiful. Same could be said for the Dangerously Underweight, anorexia is not beautiful.

Can't walk up a flight of stair, can't walk across the grocery store more than once, can't fit into a public Restroom Stall, can't order one Meal from a menu, Can't ride the Roller Coaster, can't wipe all your ***........

That's Handicapped, a Self Induced Handicap that can be avoided and treated without drugs. Seriously, what's so beautiful about that?

ShredAstaire, i've met plenty of obese people that were a blast to hang out with, great personalities. Doesn't mean their beautiful. Like FirstMeasure said, we're not doing the obese any favors by calling them beautiful. This is the reason why America is the fattest country in the world, cause everyone tries to make it ok to be obese and not do anything about it.

"Hey kid's, keep eating all those McDonald's Double Cheeseburgers and maybe someday you can be one of People Magazine's 100 Most Beautiful People"

You guy see things differently than I do then...fat people can't be featured as beautiful because people get the wrong message? See any fashion models lately? You think they are beautiful? Incredibly unhealthy as well...just in a different way just like FirstMeasure said. Do you really think a fat person is going to see that article and say "Hey, its ok that I am 500 lbs because one fat person is on the 100 most beautiful list!"? I don't.

I'm guessing none of you have ever had a weight problem before....its not as simple as not eating McDonald's for MANY people. For some, it is.

They've obviously added her to the list to cause a stir and to get people talking....it worked! I don't think shes pretty personally, but that's different than beautiful to me.

My point is, take a look at the rest of the people on this list, and tell me what they all have in common with her. Maybe personality? Of course we wouldn't know that cause all these people are famous and who knows how they really are.

And again, I know quite a few obese people (not fat, obese) and a lot of them look for any reason to justify not doing anything about their weight. So yeah, i do think some obese people will say "Hey, it's ok that I am 500lbs, because one fat person is on the 100 most beautiful list." My best friend is 400lbs and if the doctor tells him gatorade is better than soda, than he continues to eat pizza everynight, doesn't excercise, but drinks gatorade and that makes everything ok.

And no it's not as simple as "not eating McDonald's" but that is a start. My comment about McDonald's was aimed at the fact that so few parents today focus on nutrition, a lot just want a quick fix to shut their kids up, and that's part of the problem, and why so many kids today are overweight.

My point is' date=' take a look at the rest of the people on this list, and tell me what they all have in common with her. Maybe personality? Of course we wouldn't know that cause all these people are famous and who knows how they really are.

And again, I know quite a few obese people (not fat, obese) and a lot of them look for any reason to justify not doing anything about their weight. So yeah, i do think some obese people will say "Hey, it's ok that I am 500lbs, because one fat person is on the 100 most beautiful list." My best friend is 400lbs and if the doctor tells him gatorade is better than soda, than he continues to eat pizza everynight, doesn't excercise, but drinks gatorade and that makes everything ok.

And no it's not as simple as "not eating McDonald's" but that is a start. My comment about McDonald's was aimed at the fact that so few parents today focus on nutrition, a lot just want a quick fix to shut their kids up, and that's part of the problem, and why so many kids today are overweight.

[/quote']

I don't disagree with you on many of your points....you haven't made the mean jokes i've seen from some others...yeah, a lot of fat people make excuses. Why? Cuz losing 350 lbs is ****ing HARD....and they think in baby steps....VERY baby steps and they need to be pushed by someone to increase the size of those steps and think harder about their health.

Many fat people believe that no matter what they do, they are hopeless and will never lose weight, so why bother trying? That's where the mental issue i spoke about earlier comes in....many of these people cannot do it on their own and their family/friends are enablers instead of coaches and helpers...i don't see obesity in much different terms than I do a heroin addiction or something similar.

How many people on that list smoke? Should we remove anyone from the list that smokes because it sends the wrong message? C'mon kids! If you wanna be beautiful, you need to smoke. [biggrin] Obviously that is an exaggeration to illustrate a point but you could find anything about any of those people that could make them "un-beautiful" to people.

So just like "World's Best Guitarists" lists from magazines and websites, its subjective. They want people to talk about their list so they throw some wildcards in...(I bet this same conversation is being had on countless forums and around countless water coolers)

All i'm saying is I know several beautiful larger people and that I don't think fat jokes are nice. How do we know we don't have some 400 lbs members?