Gibson Brands Forums

Strap recommendations?

GibsonLP1960V3

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

all a matter of preference, many designs out there. The important things are comfort and that they hold your guitar up. I always liked the plain ol dunlop straps,,, simple but comfortable

Leather, always leather. Hate nylon or cotton straps, they don't stay put for me. I just install Schaller strap locks on all my guitars and have one nice leather strap that i like a lot. can easily interchange them all when i feel like it.

I really like leather straps with a rough back, acts like velcro on your shirt and helps your guitar from shifting around a lot. I play with the headstock up pretty high so having a bit of grip from my strap helps.

do your guitar a huge favour and buy some strap locks too. Schallers are awesome. I held off buying some for my new LP and almost dropped it TWICE#-o in ten minutes. near heart attack. Don't use the screws that come with the locks, use the ones already in your guitar. You might need to enlarge the hole on the Schaller button and file the head of the screw down a bit so it will fit inside but that's easy enough. or take the button and original screw down to the hardware store and get a screw that will fit AND has the same thread count and pitch as the original.

My first Les Paul - within a week lost it's strap-screw from the body top. Little or no load on it - just as well the guitar didn't drop!! There was hardly any thread on the screw and I could push it into the guitar body to its full depth with the lightest pressure from my fingers. Not too clever QC at Gibson's supplier, or indeed the Gibson employee who fitted it.

Now use Schaller Straplocks on all my guitars - and have a choice of broad leather straps - comfortable if you are lugging a guitar for any length of time. All are fitted with the Schaller adapter, so I can use any of my straps with any of the guitars - absolute confidence in the Schallers !! Real easy to fit too. Just keep your original Gibson strap buttons and screws in case you ever want to sell your guitar on.

IMG_0616.jpg

Axe - Love the Jack Daniel's strap! Is it as comfortable as your Levy's? They all look great against the Fartburst : ) Good to see you on here still. So many of the LP folks seem to have flown the coup. Come to think of it, I kind of did too.

SLS

Levy Leather straps. I like the 2" wide smooth leather with the padding. Slides a bit on my shoulder so it doesn't bunch up and pull my shirt out-of-whack. The Les Paul hangs just right for me, so I can still take my hands off the guitar and it's in playing position. Strap locks are a must, but I only use one on the upper button, the lower doesn't really require one. Plus, one pack goes for two guitars, and you don't need to pull your stock strap button from the bottom of your guitar.

I went to a saddle shop and had several 2" wide leather straps made.

They are stiff, with a rough texture on the back.

They won't slide, but while playing I can easily lift the guitar and slide it a little if need be.

Any saddle/leather shop can make 'em any way you want, whatever color, decorated or plain.

I paid 50 - 80 bucks apiece, they've lasted for years.

With a nasty broken collar bone, the only strap that works for any length of time is the Levy 2 inch with the padding that extends past the leather center. I have one for each guitar. If comfort is your concern they are GREAT

Since I got my les paul, I've used a 3 and a half inch wide leather levys strap. It's great for the les paul since it's padded nicely and I like the width for this guitar. I believe the model# is mg4f or close to that. It has a suede back, so it doesn't move at all on your shoulder, which is why I'm finally looking at straps again. I like the strap to slide easily. It was only like 30 or 35 bucks.

I recently got a 2 1/2 inch all leather moody that I'm using on my strat. The quality is killer, it's real soft and thick, but honestly, the levys is just as comfortable. The moody was 115 bucks ! I may look at their 4 inch wide leathers for the les paul soon.

Just took a look at the moody site, damn the CEO is smokin' [biggrin] $135 for the one I like, expensive but would probably last forever and they look sweet. After I have a few beers tonight I'll end up ordering one LOL but I think I'll check out the saddle shop in town first.

Having just picked up a great new LP' date=' I want to outfit her with a suitably high quality strap. Any recommendations on sources for guitar straps?

[/quote']

I am using Nylon Guitar Strap. It is black plastic adjustable buckle and connector enhance long lasting and good looks. It just need USD2.99 and i am satisfied with the quality.

But my brother prefer Leather Guitar Strap, it was bought online, please visit the store

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Franklin-Strap-3-Caramel-Leather-Guitar-Strap-with-Gold-Stitching?sku=360749

Hope you would find the guitar straps you like [cool]

Archived