Gibson Brands Forums

guitar debt

harmonicchaos

as some of you know, i recently got a dove. My dad was nice enough to pay for it initially but i have to pay it of over time. the more i think about it the more i beginning to rethink myself. i only have about 500 dollars right now and i don't want to be in debt for the next year+ or so at the very least. i REALLY love the guitar but 2500 dollars for a single guitar is a lot for a 14 year old without a job, especially since i am going to be needing a better amp (2 watts just doesn't cut it )and another electric guitar with better upper fret access eventually (i also would like to have a bass and a drum set eventually). like i said i really love the guitar but should i get a cheaper acoustic (songwriter special) so i can afford the other gear eventually? or am i just overthinking this. O:) :) :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry about this post guys. i guess that why you shouldn't have 4 (actually it may have been more than 4 the more i think about it) cups of strong coffee - makes you loopy.O:)

i need to pay attention to how many cups i drink. i'll start doing schoolwork and it just seems like the cup keeps refilling itself.

I recently paid off my J-45 after a year. I'm in the process of paying off some debt from a recent record, radio promo, and a publicist. I don't regret it at all. You will find yourself pouring money into music over the course of your life. The rewards (mostly) won't be monetary.

For the record, I have never looked back on a major music purchase and regretted it. Trust me, you could spend $2500 on a lot of crap and junk (video games, beer, drugs, women).

In the morning, you'll still have the Dove. When you're 50 years old, you'll still have that sucker.

The dye is cast, buddy. Keep it.

O:)/

I think If I was your age and my Pops shelled out $2500 for a guitar for me, I would be pretty darn appreciative and wouldn't worry about having to pay it back. Heck your 14 and don't have a house, kids or a mortgage to worry about. Some of us have had to wait until we were in our 20's 30's etc to even get a guitar as nice as that. Quit worrying about paying for it and play ito:)

I agree with dodge. Besides, how would your dad feel if you sold it? It was a very kind gesture on his part to buy it for you. If I were your dad, I'd feel you never really wanted it in the first place. Next time you tell him you really want something, he'd surely think twice and remember "the guitar experience". Keep it, pay if off and play the strings off it.

i got it about three weeks ago so i would have returned it not sold it! (i wouldn't have even thought about selling it!) i would have told my dad that i didn't think i deserved a guitar of this magnitude and price, i didn't think i'd be able to pay for it quick enough for him, and that i felt bad having him pay for such a large item. the major reason is i thought this was too much for him to do, and i hate not paying in full for any purchase. sorry for any confusion.

sorry about this post guys. i guess that why you shouldn't have 4 (actually it may have been more than 4 the more i think about it) cups of strong coffee - makes you loopy.:-&

i need to pay attention to how many cups i drink. i'll start doing schoolwork and it just seems like the cup keeps refilling itself.

Whats a 14 year old doing drinking four cups of coffee? When I was your age...I had boundless energy, was drinking kool-aid and soft drinks....and within a year of 14, was drinkin' my first beers! Was in my late teens before developing my coffee addiction. There you go....spoken like the true ol' geeser that I have become :-&

Whats a 14 year old doing drinking four cups of coffee? When I was your age...I had boundless energy' date=' was drinking kool-aid and soft drinks....and within a year of 14, was drinkin' my first beers! Was in my late teens before developing my coffee addiction. There you go....spoken like the true ol' geeser that I have become :-& [/quote']

LOL !!! let's see ....Kool-Aid is how many cups of sugar per quart of water ???? And even in the olden days soft drinks had caffeine. So you were basically hopped up on sugar and caffeine -no wonder you had energy:-k ...... now your suggesting the kid starts drinking beer at 15? :-&

harmonicchaos -

Don't listen to him......he is a bad influence. LOL !!! O:) O:) O:) O:)

Just enjoy your beautiful guitar and make your Dad proud when he hears you playing all the time and improving. He wouldn't have done it if he didn't want the best for you and feel it was worth it to see you learn music !!

I think If I was your age and my Pops shelled out $2500 for a guitar for me' date=' I would be pretty darn appreciative and wouldn't worry about having to pay it back. [/quote']

That says it, mostly. I did the opposite, when I was young, to my regret.

As for your other 'wants' -- try standing back and looking at them as what they are, not as categorical imperatives [must must must] but as loose random notions freely passing through for the day, and which change, day by day. Meanwhile, practice like the Devil and master the fine guitar that you have.

ps the paper route is not a bad idea, either.

Whats a 14 year old doing drinking four cups of coffee? When I was your age...I had boundless energy' date=' was drinking kool-aid and soft drinks....and within a year of 14, was drinkin' my first beers! Was in my late teens before developing my coffee addiction. There you go....spoken like the true ol' geeser that I have become :-& [/quote']

i am a complete night person. it doesn't matter if i get up at 5 in the morning, i'll still be awake at midnight (at the earliest). i've been that way my entire life (even when i really little, and way before i started drinking coffee so i can't blame caffiene or sugar because i eat very little sugar and just started really drinking coffee this year to get through the day.) it's amazing how i'll be really tired during the day but as soon as night comes I'll be rearing to go. everyone else in my family and all of the people i've known are out like a light. wish i was like that. being nocturnal when everyone else isn't is not very easy.

I was drinking coffee with an ice cube at 7. My mom had to start buying decaff, I just wouldn't lay off ...lol.

At your age, to have a guitar like that, your Dad must think you're pretty darn worth it. Of course you deserve a guitar like that! Pay it off as fast as you can and hang on for the other stuff. It'll all come in time. Just think of the huge sense of accomplishment you'll feel when it is paid off. Your Dad will be proud of you as well for seeing the commitment through. Not all 14 year olds can do that. Everything turned my head when I was 14. I had to have it all and had to have it right then! Enjoy it!!

Sorry! I guess some people are just wired like that. I'm not one of them. I was not suggesting that anyone do what I did.....simply thinking back and remminiscing(sp?). My dad bought me my first 'good' guitar at 14. It was a Garcia classical ($150) in 1967. I still have it. He actually bought my first guitar,period. A $14 pawn shop Kay. I didn't even have to pay him back!! I was older and earning my own money before I acquired any more and better guitars. I think you have realized that you are wanting a whole lot more....electrics, bass, etc. and it will take you forever to pay off that Dove price tag.. Might I say...welcome to the real world,,,and I think you are using your 'economic common sense'. That is something that a lot of young folks are lacking. Be proud of yourself!...RRod

i am a complete night person. it doesn't matter if i get up at 5 in the morning' date=' i'll still be awake at midnight (at the earliest). i've been that way my entire life (even when i really little, and way before i started drinking coffee so i can't blame caffiene or sugar because i eat very little sugar and just started really drinking coffee this year to get through the day.) it's amazing how i'll be really tired during the day but as soon as night comes I'll be rearing to go. everyone else in my family and all of the people i've known are out like a light. wish i was like that. being nocturnal when everyone else isn't is not very easy.[/quote']

I'm like that too! And always have been. When I was your age (gee I hate having to say that) I was staying up late and watching The Midnight Special on TV. Never wanted to go to bed. I'm still like that, which makes having a day job really tough. It sounds to me like you're having a temporary case of buyer's remorse. This is completely normal, no matter what the item is: house, bicycle, car, refrigerator, high quality guitar. The thing is that guitar will only get better with age and if you really really wanted to sell it, you always could. I bought a $2700.00 guitar when I was unemployed!!! I had a few lean times but I managed, and now I own the guitar of my dreams. Enjoy your guitar. If you struggle with payments, you'll find a way. If you choose to sell it, you can as there will always be a market for a guitar like yours. So, don't second-guess yourself.... just play your guitar and enjoy it. Sounds like you have a great dad too!

thanks guys for the support. i think about things too much and drive myself nuts in the process. I'm a very frugal person and when i do end up buying anything (especially and expensive purchase like this) i really think it over and make sure i really want it.

You have a great guitar right now. Forget about it, it's yours, play it, love it. When you're my age it'll probably be worth twice as much. Your dad's a great guy, make him proud. When I was your age I spent all my money on candy and gum! I should have bought a 1961 J-45! What really worries me is not the fact that you have a great guitar, but that you are a 14 year old vampire that drinks too much coffee and stays up all night! 14 years old, heck I think the underwear I have on is older than that! Hang tough and just pay off as much as you can each month. It'll be all yours before you know it and then you'll be very, very proud of yourself. 2 cents please.

What really worries me is not the fact that you have a great guitar' date=' but that you are a 14 year old vampire that drinks too much coffee and stays up all night! [/size']

I'm a werewolf not a vampire!! eusa_shifty.gif

btw i can't help the sleeping issues and i'm not about to start taking sleep meds (no heath ledger overdoses for me thank you!). I'm normally not that bad with coffee. i normally have 1 cup and i try not to have it every day. O:)

I'm a werewolf not a vampire!! eusa_shifty.gif

btw i can't help the sleeping issues and i'm not about to start taking sleep meds (no heath ledger overdoses for me thank you!). I'm normally not that bad with coffee. i normally have 1 cup and i try not to have it every day. O:)

Just giving you a little friendly ribbing there' date=' kiddo!! I am relieved that you're a werewolf and not a blood-sucking vampire!! You might be able to get into that American Kennel Club show at Madison Square Garden, win a bunch of money, and pay your dad off in one lump sum!!! Tell them you're an Irish Wolfhound and that your name is JohnT!! lol[/size']

I wanted to mention that i really appreciate my guitars and what my dad is doing for me. I really take good care of my guitars (i don't have my les paul or dove behind a glass case though. They are definitely loved and played and the les paul is showing it a bit O:) I'm gonna be playing for the rest of my life and i'm playing because i love it. I'm not a great player (i'm not that bad though) but i practice every day and i really want to be good. I'm not just another punk kid who buys a guitar (or has their parents spend tons of money) and either uses it as a prop and gives up playing pretty quick or just uses it to be cool. I'm not spoiled either i payed in full for my les paul and worked hard for that money. I don't get an allowance and i don't have a lot of material items - what few ones i do have i payed for. These guitars are my babies and i really love every aspect of them. don't watch much t.v. so i spend most of my time playing or learning about music. I'm really commited to what i do.

sorry if this comes across as a rant or angry (it is definitely not an angry post.) i just wanted to make sure that people didn't start thinking i'm a spoiled brat. wink.gif

Oh i know you were joking TWilson. that's one thing i love about these forums, people joke around and have some fun!

Just giving you a little friendly ribbing there' date=' kiddo!! I am relieved that you're a werewolf and not a blood-sucking vampire!! You might be able to get into that American Kennel Club show at Madison Square Garden, win a bunch of money, and pay your dad off in one lump sum!!! Tell them you're an Irish Wolfhound and that your name is JohnT!! lol[/size']

I like that idea...

;)

Archived