Gibson Brands Forums

Pickguard disaster!

mooboo

I took the pickguard off of my CL-30 because Gibson is sending me a replacement.. However, after removing I used Goo Gone to attempt to get rid off the leftover adhesive and got what's in the pictures. It now seems hard and I'm not sure what to do next. Also, the Goo gone seems to be taking away the gloss of some parts. Or perhaps leaving a residue behind that water won't take away. Anyone have any say?

4594663860_187ae7a373.jpg

4594053387_e893c6640d.jpg

Why would you do that on a guitar with a nitro finish? You were just going to cover that area again with the pickguard anyways.

I'm assuming the product you used is some type of solvent that dissolves adhesives. It probably dissolved some of the finish too.

It was Goo Gone Xtreme.. However, I think it may have contained acetone.

I will try a normal Goo Gone tomorrow.. Should have done my research :S

I wanted to clean up the area because the residue left behind was significant and smaller than the pickguard area itself. Since my problem was curling I wanted to start fresh.

Any way to buff it back to shine after removing the residue with Goo Gone?

Well no offense, but that's no fun! XXX, you're right. It is headed to a luthier very soon.. However, I'm going to try one last thing. Seems if I didn't use something with acetone (found that out after the fact!), I would have been alright..

Guess if all else fails this will push me towards my top refinish a few months sooner than expected!

Naptha - lighter fluid is about the only solvent you can use on nitro without doing more damage probably too late but it might help you clean it up enough that a oversize pick guard will work. If you use lighter fluid make your it's naptha based and no petroleum products but if your in Europe shouldn't be hard to find.

Good luck.

Im not too stressed about it. Ill get the cleaner tomorrow.

I used some guitar polish on a portion that had the gloss dulled and it brought it back. Luckily I did not eat through the finish all that much... Just took some sheen off.

Well no offense' date=' but that's no fun! [/quote']

My sentiments exactly.

It is headed to a luthier very soon.. However' date=' I'm going to try one last thing. Seems if I didn't use something with acetone (found that out after the fact!), I would have been alright..

Guess if all else fails this will push me towards my top refinish a few months sooner than expected![/quote']

I'm sure there will be something possible to save refinishing the top....

How old is the guitar?

After some buffing, it doesn't look that bad. Just seems like there is some hand oil around the guard. Definitely bearable until I get the top refinished.

You can see the main problem is the bottom tip, there isn't much else showing..

4595871372_8caf60dea0_o.jpg

4595885270_8890efd6a5_o.jpg

Have you figured out what caused the PG to roll up like that? The reason I ask is because I just purchased my first acoustic (Taylor 654ce 12 string) and very consciences about stuff like that. I'm guessing improper humidity control.

Couldn't tell you. It was like that when I got it..

:- :-k[lol] [lol] [lol]

Tell me about it! How do you think I feel?? lol

I have one question: What were you thinking?

From the Goo site:

Sometimes you have a problem that requires a stronger product. Goo Gone® Extreme is specially formulated to remove dried latex paint, tar, lipstick, shoe polish, ball point ink, magic marker, gum, adhesive residue, oil, grease, crayons, etc. with ease. It can be used on furniture, hardwood floors, cabinets, wood panels, woodwork, shoes, metal and glass surfaces, carpet, Formica®, and more.

Does it sound like a good idea to rub this crap on your acoustic?

I have one question: What were you thinking?

I don't rightly know.. It's no sweat! It could have been a lot worse. And I was planning on having the top refinished in a few months anyways. Like I said, learning experience. Everyone does something stupid sometime.

I did learn a lesson! Jeeze you guys are taking this rougher than I am! It's not like it was a Hummingbird or J-200! And if you said to get everyone neutered who made a mistake as small as mine, I'm sure you wouldn't have been born...

Also, just to make this VERY clear.. The liquid was moved to a separate bottle by my parents who use it to clean windows. They told me it was Goo Gone, and only after the fact did they remember it was "Xtreme". Of course they wouldn't have remembered unless I asked why it was eating away my beautiful finish!

Lesson Learned

1. Don't put any chemicals on your guitar...unless you've done your homework and them some

2. Don't listen to your parents...

3. Ask questions before attempting any major adjustments/mods/repairs to your guitar

4. If still in doubt after #3, pay someone to do it. It's usually cheaper than having them fix major mistakes.

Archived