Gibson Brands Forums

My new youtube uploads

onewilyfool

Here's to Nodehopper and his Scotch (not to mention his recording gear), and to you OWF for sharing your performances with us. You are very modest regarding your skills. Those tunes were very enjoyable!

Seeing pics of everyone's guitars is great, but those guitars always look so lonely just sitting there by themselves. I really love actually hearing what others are up to (musically speaking) here on the forum. It's always inspiring to hear others doing their thing.

Thanks again for sharing.

All the best,

Guth

OWF -- these are great! What I especially like is you aren't pushing your vocal. Simple, pure and honest on both the picking and the singing -- just the way I like it. I'm so tired of hearing singers yell and strain. Hope you don't mind being a mentor: I've been working on the pattern you're using for Mercedes Benz, and you do it with such ease.

More, please....

Good stuff..... I've done Janice's version of Mercedes Benz for decades, but I really like your versioin. Bring your axe over and let's play some.

Where you're a surgeon, I'm more of a lumberjack, but we can probably play a LOT of the same stuff.

Guth 62, Mrgibbs, thanks for the kind words of encouragement.

Red, I finally got acrylic nails on three fingers and thumb, because I kept breaking nails. Get them updated, say, every 5 weeks? I tried thumb and finger picks but never got the 'feel' of those picks.

Firelight....thanks for your support and comments. I don't have the vocal skills to push the voice, lol, so I'm stuck with these kind of songs,lol. Will upload a few more in the near future.

Danville Rob...are we still getting together for the Northern California Gibson Forum get-together???? Would love to play with you and compare styles!!

I wouldn't have done any of this without Node's help. I just had to sit and play. His infinite patience and support during multiple takes was a great support. It is funny how the mind tends to make mistakes the closer you are to the end of a song when you are recording....lol.....The first song was recorded on a 120 year old "Bruno" guitar. Bruno was a partner of C.F. Martin I for about 3 years from 1883 to 1886. Never made guitars himself, but had his designs built by other manufacturer's under his label. This one was most likely built by Haynes Co. of Boston in the 1880's or 90's, and has a sweet sound. The second video was done on a 2001 Martin 00-17 with a under bridgeplate pickup and mic'd. We got a little better sound on the guitar using pickup with mic. Thanks again.

Great. Are you using a camcorder? What's your gear? I use a cheap Logitech camera and it sounds nowhere near as good as that.

I am running mics and on the Martin Hog 00-17 guitar I also added the pup --IN--> to a Yamaha PA then --OUT--> to a Zoom H2 for Audio. For Video I used a basic Canon Digital Camcorder.

Once recorded the video and audio are transferred to a computer....then I use Adobe Premier Elements to sync up audio and cut off the excess beginning and end of the clip. The trick is to say (like the clap board they use in movies) Name of Song, Take number and then slap the guitar or clap 3 or four times. This helps when editing to look at the Zoom H2 Audio and video cam audio....find the peaks from the claps and line them up.......this syncs the audio ......then delete or sharply lower the volume of the camcorder audio so you see the video but hear the nice recording quality of the Zoom H2.

I just bought the Yamaha PA system on Thursday...made the classic mistake of changing everything right before our recording session...LOL! I still need to dial things in a little more. Also YouTube's encoding of the uploaded video seemed to mess up the audio a bit....

For an Equipment review I have to give the Yamaha STAGEPAS™ 300 Portable PA system two thumbs up!!

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/products/pa_systems/stagepas300/index.html

I really enjoyed "For No One"...

;)

Just listened "For no one" using my headphones.

It is a great performance.

Wily, I like the things you post. Because of the natural sound you give us, with no effects ,no electronics. Just your guitars and your voice.

Great!

Very good!

Keep on posting, mate!

Just listened "For no one" using my headphones.

It is a great performance.

Wily' date=' I like the things you post. Because of the natural sound you give us, with no effects ,no electronics. Just your guitars and your voice.

Great!

Very good!

Keep on posting, mate![/quote']

Mister "G" thanks for the kind words!!! I added you on the friends list, you are already on my subscriptions page. I guess the thing I like most, is coming up with my own arrangements of songs, first to accomodate my limited vocal range, lol, and secondly cause I like to change up the originals somewhat so I'm not just "parroting" the original. So that Janis Joplin song, she sings without accompaniment, which I don't think I could really do. As a matter of fact, I don't think I can sing a song without the help of a guitar, or singing along to the radio...lol.....but this is all for fun, and I really enjoy sharing with you all.....I'm a big fan of yours Mister "G", wish we were a little closer, so we could play a few songs together. We also did a version of "Yesterday" which I will post in the near future....so we can start that "Yesterday" thread we were talking about in your "yesterday" post.

Danville Rob...are we still getting together for the Northern California Gibson Forum get-together???? Would love to play with you and compare styles!!

I sure hope so. Obviously May is shot' date=' and June is no good for me, (I'm putting on a dog show in June called "Woofstock"... I'm in charge of all the music during the show, and I'll be as busy as one legged man in a butt-kicking contest!). But I'm ready for it!!

So that Janis Joplin song, she sings without accompaniment, which I don't think I could really do. As a matter of fact, I don't think I can sing a song without the help of a guitar, or singing along to the radio...lol.....but this is all for fun, and I really enjoy sharing with you all.....

"Limited vocals" never stopped me from doin' this song! I actually keep a "Bo Diddley" beat on the guitar while I sing it, so it isn't totally without accompaniment However, I'd LOVE to meld the two versions sometime!

I'm a big fan of yours Mister "G"' date=' wish we were a little closer, so we could play a few songs together. We also did a version of "Yesterday" which I will post in the near future....so we can start that "Yesterday" thread we were talking about in your "yesterday" post.

[/quote']

+ 1000

I do the same things that you do Wily.

My voice is not too high for the songs I wan to sing so I "low" them 1,5 or 2 tones or use the capo and play in some other tune.

It is interesting, I think, not to do the "same" song as the original but to put some of your own "creative" work in it, and I try to make every time like that.

For me a song is a picture and I try do not copy the pictures of the masters but to repaint them ;-)

A song is like a living creature - when I sing it I give her life. Songs that nobody sings are dead. And songs that everyone sings are alive.

Me - I sing better without the guitar. But I do it seldom. Usually I play & sing same time.

Albertjohn.......I'm a little shy about putting my face on line, I don't want people coming out of the woodwork claiming they are my kids, wanting me to put them through college etc.....but I think I will show my face on the next ones ( I have a few more headless ones to post) but then will show my self.....lol....thanks for the kind words....

Archived