Gibson Brands Forums

What do I need for a band?

Silenced Fred

Ok, so my friends and I are starting a band, we are writing our own stuff, and we have at least 5 songs that are almost done with. It's me on guitar and vocals, my friend on guitar and my other friend on drums. No bass, but I'm ordering a Blue Box to drop down for some cool low riffage. When we start playing shows, what will we need? Amps, guitars, and drums are all gotten. Besides for dates, and finishing the songs, what should I do?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What those guys said. You don't have to get anything big, just enough to cover vocals and the drums a bit (and you probably won't need to mic the drums that often depending on where you're playing, just enough to add some ambient effects to them).

I was thinking about a PA' date=' what would I need to get (It would be smaller shows, maybe some outdoor stuff, but nothing huge)

Brand recommendations, wattage, would be helpful.[/quote']

Not sure what your "budget" is, but....

Peavey, Yamaha, and Mackie all have decent self-contained mixer/amps, and "Pole" Speaker

systems, with monitors. Behringer, is probably the least expensive, and is decent...until it

breaks...then you just toss it, and buy a new one. With the Peavey, Yamaha, and Mackie stuff,

it's worth fixing, in the unlikey event that it does go down. As to wattage? Well...we use a 1200

watt amp/mixer (8 channel), and it handles everything from bars, to outdoor...just fine! Better

to have more headroom (unused power available), than to always work at the top end. Keeps

things cleaner, sound wise, too.

Check out MF, AMS, Sweetwater (Recommended), for pricing.

CB

I have never really been a fan of peavey stuff, but I'll check it out. I wouldn't be doing too large of shows, but I wanna start playing. It should be fun. I will look at stuff in the 1000 watt range so I have plenty of headroom. Sounds good. nyone hear stuff about fender pa?

I knew you were. I remember when the Beatles hit, everybody I knew took up guitar. When we started bands we used this formula:

The best guitar player played lead

The 2nd best guitar player played rhythm

The 3rd best guitar player played bass

The 4th best guitar player...... he was the singer [biggrin]

Oh yeah, the guy who had drums was the drummer

Keep tellin' urself that. [biggrin]

LOL!!!

I'll challenge thee to a guitar duel any day of the week...... well not next week' date=' but at some point when I get a little more practicing under my belt...

BTW I've already scared AXE[biggrin'] ...LOL!!!

Patience.

Showmanship... playing out is about entertaining.

and +1 on the bass player and PA. I'd consider both to be essential to playing out.

Good luck, have FUN! If you're not having fun, they won't be either....

Archived