Gibson Brands Forums

retirement homes...

dem00n

Its like going to jail for life...you will end up dieing there.

Its so depressing...be left alone...no one cares for you...no one vists you...they just wait for you to die to take your will.

I went to one today...so sad. [biggrin]

Its like going to jail for life...you will end up dieing there.

Its so depressing...be left alone...no one cares for you...no one vists you...they just wait for you to die to take your will.

I went to one today...so sad. [biggrin]

Kinda like a "Roach Motel"

Reminds me of years ago when we took our son to see his great-grandmother in a nursing home. She had Parkenson's Disease, so her mind was sharp, but her body was gone. He was like 3...he walked up to her bed, was probably about as tall as she was laying down, looked right at her and said, "Is she already dead?"

All the more reason to go.

If you have relatives in a nursing home. Set aside your queasiness, suck it up, and go see your kin. It'll be the highlight of their week.

Get some friends together and play a gig for them.

I had one aunt whose memory was failing... .or just plum gone. She was surprised and glad to see me,.. three times. I think we had the same conversation three times as well. It's such a wonderful feeling to make an old woman happy three times on one day. [biggrin]

I miss her so. [crying]

D....

You're right. It's sad. Moreso when there's breath but no light inside.

I don't personally handle that well. Death can't be that bad; it's getting there that can be a trial.

m

They're not all bad. Some are quite nice.

So true! My wifes Aunt & Uncle both live in an "assisted living center" that has every convienience of a 5-Star Hotel' date=' including exexcise room, pool, music room (furnished with instruments) , spa/sauna, and a mind boggling list of planned events, to keep people active & happy. The residents live in apartments filled with things they brought from home.

On the other end of the spectrum, 30 years ago my Godfather was sent to a "Nursing Home" on Clevelands notorious "Death Row" which was a downtown street, lined on both sides with old houses that had been "converted" into N.H.s.......each small room had 8 army cots, 8 end tables, and 8 foot-lockers for the 8 people staying in that room.

Visiting was strongly discouraged,(too keep people from seeing the conditions inside) but we got in once, and were so shaken by what we saw that we (my parents & I) petitioned to have him removed.

His biological children won though & thats where he stayed until he passed.

On the "insane" end of the spectrum, in '08, there was a 3 building "Assisted Living Complex" in Miami, that had a slight medical problem.........a few patients fell ill, and when they tested everyone else, it turned out that 80% of the residents were "suffering" from Syphillus.............

A news crew asked 1 resident for his thoughts on the subject, and his reply was, "well, what ELSE are we gonna do with our time?" [scared Strange story I know, but true.

You might be suprized. My grandma lives in her own apartment across the street from my parent's house, gets multiple visitors every day, and has asked many times to be placed in an assisted living facility.

These people recieve around the clock care and hang out with people their own age.

My father (85) lives in a warden controlled flat here. It's secure. They all have their own ameneties (kitchen, lounge, bedroom and bathroom. They have social evenings together etc. He loves it there. He says it's the best thing he's done for years. In fact. I'd be happy to live there. I know he's safe. That's the most important thing. I think old people living on your own is a bad thing now in the uk. So many 'bad' people about.

My father has been in one for over two years. He suffers from Parkinsons. I go every other day to see him and its never easy

to watch a man who was my hero as a child, dwindle to nothing and not even be able to walk anymore.

But, he is treated well and the staff say hes a gentle man who always makes them laugh.

Life is short gentleman, and can change in a heartbeat.....enjoy yourselves and dont sweat the small stuff because most of it

doesnt really matter anyway....*ill get off of my soapbox now* [scared]

Life is short gentleman' date=' and can change in a heartbeat.....enjoy yourselves and dont sweat the small stuff because most of it doesnt really matter anyway..... [/quote']

True..... like you, I always say, "Don't sweat the petty stuff"......

(either that, or "Don't pet the sweaty stuff")

All the more reason to go.

If you have relatives in a nursing home. Set aside your queasiness' date=' suck it up, and go see your kin. It'll be the highlight of their week.

Get some friends together and play a gig for them.

I had one aunt whose memory was failing... .or just plum gone. She was surprised and glad to see me,.. three times. I think we had the same conversation three times as well. It's such a wonderful feeling to make an old woman happy three times on one day. [biggrin

I miss her so. [crying]

Well said. most people don't understand , or just don't want to know. we all get to that point . Or we don't.

The older I get, the more I hope I don't reach that point.

Keeling over on stage or writing an article or shooting photos is far more attractive.

OTOH, I fear we likely have little choice.

The saddest ones are those with various diseases that change and damage personality.

m

The older I get' date=' the more I hope I don't reach that point.

Keeling over on stage or writing an article or shooting photos is far more attractive.

OTOH, I fear we likely have little choice.

The saddest ones are those with various diseases that change and damage personality.

m

[/quote']

Milo, I live in fear of that.... to the point where I can't take care of myself.... we have TOTALLY no control on that. You can take care of yourself and have a lingering death....or you can do everything wrong and make a quick exit.....and vice versa.....

Yeah...

Modern medical technology seems capable of keeping a medium-well hamburger "alive."

Ian Tyson did a piece called "Elko Blues." I've had my ... discussion ... with Mr. Tyson whose music I love and whose personality leaves me a bit ambivalent. But I concur especially with this particular lyric and it sounds as if you do too...

When I die, let me go naturally

When I die, I want to go naturally

Because I've travelled this world as a free man

One thing I ask of you

Don't let them put no tubes in me.

m

I don't know whatcha got down there but up here you have choices in what kind of care you receive. You can choose to be rehabilitated (R1, R2, or R3) or just maintained medically (M1 or M2), or just comfort measures (i.e. pain killers) (C1 or C2). They won't put tubes in you if you tell them not to. Make sure you have someone you trust named as your 'agent' in your Personal Directive. An agent is someone who will speak for you if you cannot. Everyone should have one of these, not just old folks.

Karen...

I think it's pretty much the same in our Anglophone nations, albeit with some different terminology.

Problem is a matter of who makes what decisions and when.

For example, how about the person with stroke or other brain damage who is quite functional but a very different person than before.

I kid that I want a tat on my left chest that states "DNR" in big, bold letters with my signature under it. Problem is, that's still not enough for current law and ambulance crews...

Having an agent - US has slightly different terminology, but it's the same thing - doesn't do much good if they're not available in 15 seconds or less...

m

"Retirement" homes....what a "Political Correct" term, that is! "Warehousing" of our elderly, is more like it.

Then, to have them ignored, and (too often) neglected/mistreated, to the point of putting their health and

even lives, in danger...for 3-5 Grand (or more) a month. Yeah..."Retirement Home" indeed! NOT! It's a

national disgrace...IMHO. Sorry...I've had some ("naive," Then) experience, with these places, in the past...

and it was NOT pretty! Some of them, ARE good...even great! BUT, you have to be extremely careful and

very "pro-active," in researching the good from the not so good. And, you have to be very careful, about

how things will be "paid," to them, too. "Inheritances" can be eaten away, by these places, totally oblivious,

to the patient/resident, if you're not very careful. "Trusts," and "Living Will's" will help. Something that requires

more than the patient's/resident's signature, before monies can be acquired, by those places.

CB

I'd rather be taken out to the pasture and put down, or just give me a gun and I'll do it myself. In high school I delivered medication before I started working in pharmacy and I will never ever allow myself to be put in a nursing home.

Take it easy on a family's choice of end of life care. Unfortunately, it comes down to money. Some folks get to the end of their life with little to no funds and assets other than a home they cannot afford to maintain properly, in a neighborhood that has gone on the skids and is not very valuable. Most families don't have the where-with-all for a 5 star facility. Most family members do not have the mental, nor medical where-with-all to care for an end of life family member. The bad side of the spectrum is families who go the 8 cots to a room route in order to protect their inheritance.

DNRs are only as good as the next of kin's willingness to allow the doctors to pull the plug. That's right, even though you may have signed a DNR, if the spouse or most responsible next of kin cannot make the decision, the medical establishment may continue life support. Why? Because if the doctors 'allow', say a spouse, to die and the living spouse doesn't want the loved one to go yet.... guess who is going to sue?

There are two types of powers of attorney. Financial and medical. They don't have to be the same person. My great aunt passed away several years ago. She picked a financial power of attorney, a family member who was good with money and honest. She also picked a medical power of attorney, my mom. She picked her because Mom understood my aunt's wishes and was able to sign the DNR when the doctors asked.

This also is good from a legal stand point to separate the two powers of attorney. It protects the living from suspicion.

You want an enforceable DNR? Discuss it with your spouse and closest of kin. and appoint a medical PofA.

I will add more, as i have some very close and personal knowledge of this topic. 1st. what is needed is a " health care proxy" this give the power of making medical decisions to a person of your choise. In some places this is also called a "living will". This is something that you talk about your wishes to someone who you trust to make all "dnr" or all life preserving measures". and how far you want to go. or not.

2nd. the next thing you need is a "revocable and limited POA ."what this does is it gives control of you assets and and be revocated if you get better. It lets you pay bills and such. Than even if you think you nothing you should have a "will". If you don't , it is possible that the state will deside what to do with your assets.

If you have no family than this is the worst place to be , because if you are that sick, you must be put in a hospital ,or some institution. If you have family, who will take you into their home you can get "hospice" care.There are different levels of care,depending on how sick you are. If you are near the end, they will be there 24/7. free. They get paid from S.S. I hope that this shines a little light on this matter. make music as long as you can.

It is a gift, we have been given, to make the world a better place.

My Gear :-)

‘10 LP R0 50th Anniversary Version 3 1/500 (Cherry Burst)

‘09 LP R9 50th Anniversary (Heritage Dark Burst) 1/500, Bought 4-2010 new

‘10 PRS 25th Anniversary Santana Model ,10Top / Santana Yellow

‘09 LP R9 50th. Anniversary 1 of 59 (Rust Burst)

‘09 LP R0 Standard Ebony VOS

‘09 “Wildwood” CS - 356 Quilted maple & Korina

‘05 Les Paul Standard Faded T.B.

‘08 50th comm.edition, G.O.M. Flying V

‘08 July G.O.M. Longhorn Double Cut BV (Trans Blue)

‘08 Firebird VII (metallic red)

‘08 Fender Stratocaster ‘70’s reissue (black / rosewood neck)(Fat‘50’s pups)

‘08 Fender Stratocaster ‘70’s reissue (natural / maple neck)

1999 MIM Fender Stratocaster ’70’s reissue (white / maple neck)(‘69 pups)

1987 Japan Squier by Fender, Stratocaster (white / maple neck)

1986 Ovation Model # 1767-Legend

‘08 Marshall JVM 210H - 1960 AX Cabinet

‘10 Fender Blues Deluxe reissue

And some pedals

Archived