Gibson Brands Forums

I should have known it (Tom Petty)

Kiwi

Good ol' Tom Petty is back, and this new single sounds insanely good [crying]

Any Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers fans here? Also, does anyone know how Mike Campbell gets that awesome Led Zeppelin-ish guitar tone?

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

EDIT: Oh well, seems like the video is blocked from playback on forums. Just click on it and watch it at Youtube instead.

anyone know how Mike Campbell gets that awesome Led Zeppelin-ish guitar tone?

Electronics [biggrin]

Love Petty and the boys. Always good, raw rock and roll. What could be better than that?

expected release of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers "Mojo" is June 15th' date=' looks like 18 songs on the cd[/quote']

Yup, that's correct. Found another single from that very same album:

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Mike Campbell is a fantastic guitarist, loved his playing since their first album I bought when it came out. I wonder if it's the magic of the Telecaster, seems like he used a stock one on that album and others, not sure about the amp; would find it hard to believe it would be through those Thomas Organ Voxes since I think those sound awful. I wonder what amps he uses.

I saw Micheal Campbell in his own band open up for Little Feat. He was fricken Great. It was like watching a Vintage Guitar Show, complete with full song Demos. The stuff he wrote was very Yardbird-esque. One thing I can say for sure about how he got that Zeppelin like the, it was on Vintage Gear. I don't think he's ever played through anything younger than himself.

Great to see him Back with Tom and the Heartbreakers, that's his real calling.

When they played that for the first time on SNL a few weeks ago he was playing an R9. Some were saying that it was his 59 burst, but they confirmed that it was a reissue. It sounded better on the SG though. I'd like to know what amp pedal combo he's using, because that does have a really cool sound.

Tom Petty is one of my faves. I'm going to see those guys this summer when they play Pittsburgh. That SG Mike Campbell was playing was pretty awesome. I think the universe is telling me I need something with P-90's.

Except for his Duesenberg signature...but if I could ever see him on stage playing his vintage gear that would be TOP!

EddieVedder.jpg

MikeCampbell.jpg

That first Pic is Eddie Vedder, but still.....what's the idea? He was always such a Vintage Gear nut. I guess even Mike Campbell doesn't want t worry too much about his babies on tour. When I saw him with his own band he must have had a Curator in attendance.

He even used an old Tear Drop Vox with built in Effects from the 60's. And, yes, he used the built in effects to great affect.

That first Pic is Eddie Vedder' date=' but still.....what's the idea? He was always such a Vintage Gear nut. I guess even Mike Campbell doesn't want t worry too much about his babies on tour. When I saw him with his own band he must have had a Curator in attendance.

He even used an old Tear Drop Vox with built in Effects from the 60's. And, yes, he used the built in effects to great affect.[/quote']

Mike is still a vintage gear nut ... but I believe he has sold his soul to a German brand, Duesenberg, to have his own(and first ever) signature. Very nice guitars .. Duesenberg, I own one myself and it's close to a gibby, except for the price [biggrin]

Archived