Gibson Brands Forums

Lately, I just plain suck on the guitar

duane v

It's probably Red-light-itis. That is, you lock up when the recording light is lit. Here is some advice, pick whatever works best for you:

- Practice your parts even more than you do already

- Have a drink or two (and that's IT - don't get f'd up to the point where you can't play)

- Stare at the wall or someplace else besides the control room window where everyone is watching you; pretend they're not there

- Have sex before you go to the studio (if a partner isn't available at the time, do what you gotta do)

- Think of each take as not being a keeper; it's just a warm up. The warm ups usually end up being the best takes

- Do some push-ups or something to work out the extra energy

You get the idea. The whole point is to work out some of that nervous energy before the record light turns on. Chill out and go with it - you know you're a great player so take a little attitude with you into the studio and let 'er rip.

You have to clear your mind and take a break from it for moment.

Stop focusing on every time you made a mistake as it will snowball you.

Run around the studio a couple of times and come back to it with a clear head and try not to think hard on it, just play it.

This works for me, that and a shot of Patron.

Black Tea sharpens the mind. Go with Black Tea.

Also the recorditis comment is right on, when it gets in your head it's like an evil little weevile, burrowing around when nothing is wrong, you just think it is.

That's why people at sporting events chant someone's name on the other team, try and get into their heads and break their focus.

Try lightening the mood, get everyone to come in in outrageous loud Hawaiian shirts or something, or funny hats! Who doesn't love funny hats?

Good Luck sir!

I have been stressing over the TC Helicon 300 monitors, but I cancelled that order yesterday and went with the Mackie SRM 150's... They had three in stock and should be arriving next week, but it cost me an additional $300[blink] ......f***ckers[biggrin]

I think I'm gonna drag my bratty daughter to Julio's Bucket in Eagle Rock and have a massive burger today, and bowl down those blues[cool]

It happens. I flubbed one of the simplest songs EVER at rehearsal Thursday night.

EVERYONE stopped and just stared at me with their mouths open.

It was "Night Train" G n R. [lol]

well' date=',, I dont know that Night Train is one of the "simplest songs EVER" [biggrin[biggrin]

is this how you play it ???? I never played that tune, its actually a pretty cool riff, I saw Slash playing that riff when he was testing out that new Marshall and I thought I'd learn it too

Night Train Tabs

Yeah... I gotta admit when I'm trying to record myself in one take "solo," whether just guitar or guitar and vocal, it seems to put me back into "I'm just learning this piece" mode even if I've done it 40 years... <grin>

Hmmmm.

m

Archived