Gibson Brands Forums

Show your basses!

Bassmedic05

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that a real signature on the back of the headstock?

Nice bass. I love pbasses.

I love the idea of a brass nut. I have had two of my pbass plastic

nuts break. So brass would be great if it didn't brighten up the

tone too much.

Are you still getting the J bass?

Just jam a piece of yarn or such up against the nut, under the

strings and re-check your intonation. I do it all the time, even

without a brass nut. I do hae some brass ones, but I really don't

like them. If I didn't know the yarn trick, I'd carve wooden ones.

Thanks guys. I had the choice of a 3 Color Sunburst/Rosewood, or the Olympic White/ Maple. Originally I was thinking about changing the pickguard to parchment. But i'm getting to like the tortoise shell.

Thanks guys. I love all of them. The only one I don't play is the 2005 Les Paul; Can't bring myself to subject her to stage or even rehearsal abuse (she's never been out of the house). The '05 LP & the Yamaha also have no mods like the rest of them. In the quest for the "perfect sound", it's just hard for me not to experiment!

I know I should, but the '05 LP resides in her case under the bed in our guest room. The others are hanging on the walls of my man-cave, and are easy to reach! Since I don't play it, I should probably sell it, but I don't know if I'd regret it.

Ha! I love it too much. I've only played it in my man cave about 6 times; I really don't want to take it on a job 'cause I've got the '01 LP, the Double Cut, and (please forgive me) the Mexi Deluxe P, all of which sound great & I use them all the time. I've already had the '01 LP refinished once, so if anything happens to it, I'll have it redone. The '05 LP is absolutely perfect - not even any fingernail scuffs, so I just can't allow myself to take her out into the cruel world!

I'm slowly evolving into the same kind of relations with my old EB-2. It was my bass of choice for many years, lived in a gig back, and went everywhere, all the time. Now I'm figuring out that it is in excellent shape in spite of it all and might actually be kinda valuable. Probably not hugely valuable, since it's not perfectly stock and it has been well used, but there are no serious rashes in the finish, the neck has never been broken, and it looks great. But, it's probably coming out of its case off and on anyway. There are some things I can do with it and some sounds it can make which nothing else quite does.

I know what you mean. Since the late 60s I've wanted an EB-2; If I had one in decent condition, I'd probably leave that at home too! I consider all my other basses as tools - period. Although they are all in very good condition, I don't worry about them being on stage; if anything were to happen they can be fixed. On one job I had a P bass fall over forward while in a stand - landed right on the headstock and bounced, but fortunately had no damage. I think a Gibson neck would've been in 2 pieces!

EB-01234.jpg

'68 EB-0, '69 EB-1, '68 EB-2C, '69 EB-3 & '72 EB-4

DSC03679.jpg

'74 Les Paul Signatures, '69 Les Paul Professional & '70 Les Paul Bass, '73 Les Paul Recording & Triumph Bass

1959GibsonEB-2.jpg

1959 EB-2, with one of the last of the single coil pickups.

@Grog,

That's the most amazing Gibson bass collection I've ever seen. Did you get alot of them at the same time, or one by one?

I bought them one at a time, mostly between the early 90's & the early 00's. I was collecting gibson guitar & bass pairs. I started out with my 1967 Cherry EB-2 when I was 18, (1974) in the early 90's I run into a Les Paul Triumph Bass at a local store, that started the GAS. It was fun, but it's gotten to expensive, I've slowed way down.

1978GibsonRDArtistBass.jpg

Archived