Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Traditional Pro Vs Studio

cowgard

I think I need a Gibson Les Paul. I am looking at models under 2000 bucks and that pretty much limits me to the Trad Pro, Studio, or Studio deluxe. As far as the Trad Pro what do I get for the extra 600 bucks? Thanks for any input. David

I think I need a Gibson Les Paul. I am looking at models under 2000 bucks and that pretty much limits me to the Trad Pro' date=' Studio, or Studio deluxe. As far as the Trad Pro what do I get for the extra 600 bucks? Thanks for any input. David[/quote']

Binding.

Different Pickups

Locking ? Grover tuners (also on the Studio Deluxe)

Coil Tapping Ability (possibly on the studio deluxe)

Also, I don't know about the finish on the Studio Deluxe, on the Trad Pro, there is a gloss finish on the front and a Satin finish on the back and sides.

The regular studio, would have different finish options, as well as the 490R/498T pickup combo compared to the 57 Classic and BB2 ( I think) in the others....No coil tapping and no binding again and regular tuners on the Studio, and a full gloss finish ( unless Gibson has changed it; but there are LP Studio's that do not have the gloss, like the faded etc)

I believe that is it.

I think I need a Gibson Les Paul. I am looking at models under 2000 bucks and that pretty much limits me to the Trad Pro' date=' Studio, or Studio deluxe. As far as the Trad Pro what do I get for the extra 600 bucks? Thanks for any input. David[/quote']

ok i have them both and the traditional pro is very good and comfotibale and the studio too i think that you dont get any thing special for the extra 600 bucks becide the look. good luck hope i'd helped

ok i have them both and the traditional pro is very good and comfotibale and the studio too i think that you dont get any thing special for the extra 600 bucks becide the look. good luck hope i'd helped

Dude, you have to post pics of your studio and the traditional pro

The Trad. Pro also has the satin finish on the neck as well as the back and sides.

Versatile tones, the neck feels comfortable unfinished. As stated it's also the flater 60's style, not the more rounded 50's.

A nice guitar.

I had one, and had to trade it in to get a Custom shop model that became available.

They are also weight relieved,(9 holes drilled) not chambered.

I'll definitely be looking to find another one in the future.

i really dont like the studio just because it dosent have binding on the body or neck, just dosent look right to me...

gonna try a studio out though when i try some other LP's,

however this weekend im off to a local store to try out an yngwie malmsteen strat [lol]

Buy the Traditional Pro - what your getting for the 600 extra dollars is a true Les Paul Standard which is what everyone is after. The studio is a great starter guitar bu after all the arguments that's all it really is - almost everybody I know that plays Gibson got a Studio because it was more affordable. Then they look at them and play it and see everyone else playing Standards and they sell the Studio at a loss and buy the Standard. It happens all the time and the reverse is not true, I don't know anybody that owns a Standard that regrets it and sells it to buy a Studio.

The Studio is a nice guitar and many of us own them (I even have two) but there not a Standard. The Traditional Pro is a hell of a deal right now nice guitar good pickup selection coil taps and all the look and feel of the Standard which is what everyone that wants a LP is really after.

Even better Idea - Look for a used R8 and you'll be set for life for the same amount of cash.

IMG_0006.jpg

The 'try out a whole bunch' approach is by far and away the best route.

If that's not an option in your case then I'd very much like to second these two views;

...You can buy a used '57 or '58 reissue for $2' date='000. In my opinion, a way better guitar than the two you're considering...[/quote']

...Even better Idea - Look for a used R8 and you'll be set for life for the same amount of cash...

As has been opined; if you buy a Studio (of any type) then at some point you will likely want to 'upgrade' to a fancier looking model regardless of how good Studios are - and they are good. If you buy a used R8 that 'upgrade' will seem less likely to be neccessary - not to say almost impossible to do.

I was having the same debate myself and although the more affordable studio will possibly get you the guitar soon, the standard might possibly get you what you want, the way you want it. Personally I'm saving for a traditional. I've made the mistake of buying now to scratch the itch and always regretting what could have been. You may want the studio if it feels right but to restate what retrosurfer said I don't know a soul that has a standard and regrets it. Good luck in your quest.

I was having the same debate myself and although the more affordable studio will possibly get you the guitar soon' date=' the standard might possibly get you what you want, the way you want it. Personally I'm saving for a traditional. I've made the mistake of buying now to scratch the itch and always regretting what could have been. You may want the studio if it feels right but to restate what retrosurfer said I don't know a soul that has a standard and regrets it. Good luck in your quest.[/quote']

I hear you about a studio to scratch the itch and ending up wanting to upgrade. But, in my defense I got a really nice Studio for a really good price and instead of selling it to upgrade later, I suspect I will add a Standard or Traditional Pro later in the year. Thanks everyone for the advice, even if I didn't heed it. David

studio.jpg

Archived