Gibson Brands Forums

Introducing the Les Paul Studio 50’s Tribute – Limited Run from Gibson USA

Gibson USA

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We're ok' date=' aren't we, guys/gals?....just a bit frustrated, that's all.

I can only imagine, how frustrated Gibson must be, right now, though. ;>b

CB[/quote']

Yeah but the thing is: "Gibson USA" started this thread,not one of us.

60 made it out the door late April.

Rumors are flying.

Les Paul Studio loaded with P-90's for how much?

Orange Drop Capacitors on a Gibson USA model that costs how much?

Faded finishes that look vintage.........Worn White against cream plastic...That's not right' date=' but it is............Gold Top?

Did we mention "This is a Limited Run Gibson USA model".

$1,399 Retail Price. Ask your local dealer for details. Shipping soon.[/quote']

AND...we're doing, exactly what they wanted us to do...create a frenzy!

We did, at least among ourselves. They only said, "Shipping Soon."

The rest of it, was our speculation, wishful thinking, and finally...frustration,

because they aren't more forthcoming, with exact dates, numbers, and

what is, and is not "sold out," etc. When I'm sure they're overwhelmed,

with all they have to do, to get the plant back up, and running. Yes, they

may have started it, but we took it and RAN! LOL! Anyway...it would be

nice, to know all WE want to know, Now. But...if one calls Gibson CS, and

they don't even know when the plant is going to be operational, for sure,

they won't know priority status, in the restarting, of production, or shipping

of such, yet. I'm quite sure they will be happy to tell us, when they DO know.

So...I, for one, am not going to worry about it. My dealer has my payment

recorded, and will let me know, as they always do, when my guitar is in. Until

that time, I'll "force myslef," to play one of my other (Wonderful) Gibby's, Fender's,

Ric's, Gretsch's or Epi's. ;>)

CB

That's because the poor thing that has to answer the phone can't get an answer either.

Somebody there is working out a production schedule' date=' I'm certain. They're just not sharing the information with those of us who want to buy their product.

Seems a curious way of doing business to me...

[/quote']

Keep in mind, the machines/equipment in the shops (from what I'd heard) was nearly a total loss. Those machines are probably not just sitting somewhere waiting to be delivered. Most likely, they needed to be ordered, then built, then shipped. I have no doubt Gibson ordered what they needed right away. But have they received them yet? Do they know for certain when they will?

In the real world, when disasters like this strike, things simply don't bounce back smoothly when multilevel supply/manufacturing orders must be sourced. Each company wants to supply their demand immediately, but that is just not possible.

Example, one of our local Supermarkets meat grinder broke (this is a HUGE chain, and they sell I am certain tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars with of ground beef each month). You'd think no big deal, just fix the grinder, right? Nope. Part could not be located. After a week or two of trying, they considered a new machine (made in Germany, a new version of the one they had that a part was not found for). But the lead time on that machine, from order to delivery was something like 60 days. Eventually, they were shipped a smaller machine from another store (back up?) and got back online to sell us their tasty Black Angus beef. Out of commission something like 45 days all told. I think they did order the new machine also, but this type of situation I describe is not uncommon. Major industrial machines the likes of which Gibson is likely to use (hopefully not meat grinders [biggrin] ) just simply are not built and waiting to be ordered delivered. The pipeline takes time. I submit they are still not certain, but we (at least I) already have their best estimate to date (at least I did when I ordered). I was told August 31st, maybe. Tentative delivery date, it was their best projection for MY order (which was inside the first 30 batch of Gold Tops Guitar Center took orders for). That info wasn't made up by Guitar Center. It came from Gibson USA.

Yeah but the thing is: "Gibson USA" started this thread' date='not one of us.[/quote']

Very true. Maybe they wanted to spread some good news, to go with all the bad "floating" around. And after all, they could not predict the response would be as great as it has been (I suspect it has been increased by the very ambiguity that is now pissing some folks off!). And at the time, they did in fact have potential delivery dates for these (see above).

l suspect they're doing the best they can to get back to what they do best. Building great guitars!

The best thing Gibson can do is communicate their status to everyone. I'm not bothered with the wait; it's not being told whether or not my order will be filled. GC is to blame for this as well. They can't tell me what number my order, but rather tell me all orders placed ahead of mine will be filled. This would work if I was some crackhead with no sense, but this tells me they won't answer my question. Hence the source of my growing irritation. I got past these games a long time ago.

This is not about shipping dates!!! This is about the production run numbers. How many Goldtops are going to be made?!?!?! If I am not even close to the production run, I can move on and get back to saving up for a '56 VOS. If my order falls within the production numbers and my order will be filled, that is great!!! I will gladly bide my time and wait for the guitar to show up.

They're not going to DO that, until they know, for sure, what they can produce, and when.

Anything they'd put in writing, here or on their web-site, or literature, would only come back

to haunt (bite) them, if something didn't go as scheduled, and the consumer would be even

more upset, then. Someone mentioned previously, it has already been 6 weeks, since the

flood. But, that's a very short time, after such a devastating catastrophy, in terms of what

has to be done, replaced, or even built...to be replaced. It's not like they can go to Home Depot,

and get a lot of that equipment. ;>b

CB

You also have to remember that Gibson didn't take your money and promise a guitar. The dealers did that. They shouldn't have been taking pre-orders when they didn't know how many to expect or when to expect them.

My dealer (Guitar Center) took my money, and DIDN'T promise a guitar. They said "hopefully". I'm fully paid, and it's fully refundable-at any time I choose. They didn't make me order, but said they were only taking orders with full payment (may have changed but that's the way it was then). Said if delivery proved to be not possible, my money would be refunded. If I got tired of waiting, or wished to cancel, full refund. It was my choice. And I figure to be honest, I'll probably be willing to wait until sometime in December if nec. BUT I won't be happy about that. And I don't expect that either. I expect to get a call saying my guitar is in sometime in September.

Good point phatu771. Gibson should have probably kept their mouths shut as well until things got up and running again. I understand the flood has thrown a monkey wrench into the works, but I got an email from Gibson after the flood telling me to try out this new Les Paul model and there are so few around as to be nonexistent for me. Then I read the Goldtops are sold out before production is complete, which one can not believe all that is written on a forum. With a finite number either in the pipeline or in the works; someone should be able to do a bit of simple math and let me know where I stand.

I believe GC knows how many they have been allocated from Gibson's production run estimates. As I have said before, I hold GC partly to blame for the ambiguity surrounding this matter.

We are shooting for getting guitars out the door again last week of July. There will more than likely be some LP Studio 50's Tributes in that group of guitars. I am going to do a status update every week on the Gibson eBlast to let you know what dealers were shipped Tributes.

Thanks for your patience.

Gibson USA Product Manager

We are shooting for getting guitars out the door again last week of July. There will more than likely be some LP Studio 50's Tributes in that group of guitars. I am going to do a status update every week on the Gibson eBlast to let you know what dealers were shipped Tributes.

Thank you.

Or, lack thereof! LOL!

Thank YOU, Gibson...we All appreciate the information, ANY information, from you all, at this point. ;>)

CB

Archived