Gibson Brands Forums

Introducing the Les Paul Studio 50’s Tribute – Limited Run from Gibson USA

Gibson USA

Listen to me.

I'm all about this thing. Stripped down, simple, straight to the point...mahogany body, maple top, P90's. What more do you need? And I don't need a case - if I do, I'll buy one.

I've wanted a goldtop for a while. To me, the binding doesn't look "road worn" at all - it looks like the scraped wood bindings you see on Anderson, PRS, etc. And the paint isn't chipped and whatever - it's just dull, similar to the faded standards from a few years ago. Polish it if you like.

I dig it. I don't want a case queen with a flamed top, I want something built to play. I like the thin finish on the neck and back. With natural wear on the thin gold, it could end up looking sweet as hell.

I actually placed an order for the goldtop a while back, then I made another order (and forgot to cancel the first). Then, when I realized I might not get one, I just left both orders. If I end up with two, I may just sell the second to whoever here is looking for a goldtop. (But knowing my luck, I won't get either...)

[cursing]

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Listen to me.

I'm all about this thing. Stripped down' date=' simple, straight to the point...mahogany body, maple top, P90's. What more do you need? And I don't need a case - if I do, I'll buy one.

I've wanted a goldtop for a while. To me, the binding doesn't look "road worn" at all - it looks like the scraped wood bindings you see on Anderson, PRS, etc. And the paint isn't chipped and whatever - it's just dull, similar to the faded standards from a few years ago. Polish it if you like.

I dig it. I don't want a case queen with a flamed top, I want something built to play. I like the thin finish on the neck and back. With natural wear on the thin gold, it could end up looking sweet as hell.

I actually placed an order for the goldtop a while back, then I made another order (and forgot to cancel the first). Then, when I realized I might not get one, I just left both orders. If I end up with two, I may just sell the second to whoever here is looking for a goldtop. (But knowing my luck, I won't get either...)

[biggrin

I also have 2 goldtops on order: one from Amazon and one from Musicians Friend. I bet when these start shipping more will become available at dealers as people cancel there "insurance" orders.

And...by the photos' date=' at least, they don't really look "road worn," like that Fender series, that IS severly relic'd,

but more like their previous "faded" series...with some light worn spots, that will wear...in those places, fairly

quickly, even with a heavier finish, if played a lot. I have one of the previous "faded" double cuts (below).

[img']http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq333/charliebrown1949/DSC_0027.jpg[/img]

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

It's an awesome player, and tone monster, with the P-90's. And, with that finish, I don't get as "precious"

about it, as I tend to do, with my more expensive finished Gibby's. The '50's Tribute Gold-Top will be a

very welcomed, single cutaway addition, to this one. ;>)

CB

love your dc special charlie one of the best playing gibson's i ever had was an 04 worn cherry dc special wish i still had that one but i do have a 2010 les paul special in worn cherry single cut with slim 60's neck p 90's and they will have to pry it from my cold dead hands i love it

love your dc special charlie one of the best playing gibson's i ever had was an 04 worn cherry dc special wish i still had that one but i do have a 2010 les paul special in worn cherry single cut with slim 60's neck p 90's and they will have to pry it from my cold dead hands i love it

Thanks, Jerry...It's a great player, especially "Live" and "Loud!" ;>)

You should post some photos, of your new Worn Cherry Single Cut!

CB

I'm in.....got on a waiting list at E.M. Shorts. Wasn't feeling too confident about them getting extra goldtops, so I did a preorder through M123 while they still had goldtops listed. Supposed to be available 8/31...we'll see.

I thought about placing an "insurance order" but decided to just hope that American Musical ships thier stuff in the order it was bought. If not I guess I'll just play one of the other 6 guitars that I don't really need. LOL. Wouldn't hurt my feelings to see that Honeyburst in the mail before the summers over, though. David

has anyone here seen a cherry one in person is the finish worn down on the edge like the ebony?

Yep - same thing - wear through only at sections of the corner edges of the top and back, and along the headstock....maybe thinned out transparent at a small area of the neck a tiny bit.

The kind of thing that made me think if you had a red sharpie you could touch it up quite easily! :-s

I called Gibson today.The CSR told me there are no guitars and they won't be shipping any until late August at the earliest.

Well' date=' that matches what GC told me when I ordered. They essentially said there was a "target" date of August 31st. I figured to hope for sometime in September, maybe later.

To the Gibson Folks: We want these, but don't rush them, you know how to do it right. We can wait [biggrin .

I just ordered a Honeyburst.

Good for you! [cool]

I was about to order a HB also. That one on page 5 here looks so sweet. That's when I got thinking "maybe I should look into a full featured LP to go with the GT 50's Tribute I have on order". Later that day' date=' I bought the Les Paul Classic Antique in honey burst (made more sense to me than buying two of the same guitars in different finishes). Thing is, I'm not sure even that will cure the tug of the HB 50's Tribute. Just something so raw and cool about it! I'll see when the GT gets here. I may just have to get another anyway [biggrin .

The GT I have on order may or may not materialize. Will just have to wait and see.

Gibson, if you are listening, I still believe you are sorry for creating all the hype on a model you have sold out on the allocation before producing the run. Anyway, my two cents.

Before we all get too pessimistic, let's remember that it was Gibson USA themselves that started this thread on June 7th. If the run had already completely sold out, I don't see the point. Also bare in mind that unlike some others, Guitar Center didn't even begin taking orders on these until the weekend of 6/12 I think it was. They only did so because there was a decent chance (no, not a guaranty) that they could fill the orders. They've got to have pretty good communication lines with Gibson USA with as many units as they sell.

Last, keep in mind that Gibson USA doesn't disclose production numbers (I've asked!). So no surprise they are being mute on the question of how many are coming (and what the numbers of the limited run are). I'm quite sure some guitars are coming. Just wish I could be sure mine was one of them! [biggrin]

Archived