Gibson Brands Forums

Introducing the Les Paul Studio 50’s Tribute – Limited Run from Gibson USA

Gibson USA

funny you guys that ordered them..

I'm on a different forum and the guy there said he saw in the store that he went to had all the colours and one by one were being bought over a a few weeks so when they got down to the one ebony he bought it.

I think the online orders like your guys will be waiting till the plant can do a new batch.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I was fortunate enough to get one of the orginal 60 that left the factory before the flood ... a honeyburst. Got if from Sam Ash in Atlanta a week ago (they had 2 at their warehouse in Florida). It's very light, as to be expected with a chambered body, but it sounds freakin' great (I'm a little biased because all I play are les paul juniors with P90s and the fact these things had P90s is the reason I wanted one)!! It played great right out of the box, have not touched the set-up at all. If I could afford it, I'd turn around and order another one!! And, no, I don't work for Gibson ... just wanted to give a review of a guitar that apparently there are so few of right now.

The Gibson site, has a lot of (new) close-up views, of the "Gold Top," in case some haven't been there, in awhile.

I hadn't been on there, for a couple of weeks, and was surprised by the new photos. Ramped up my anticipation,

even more. ;>)

(I tried to drag the photos onto this page, but got only the script, and no photos.) ;>b

CB

Hey, I ordered my first Gibson yesterday (being quite a rickenbacker and burns guitar man). I just saw the gold top on my browser and had to order. Luckily I live in the Uk and their still taking orders. I received this bit of info today from my local guitar shop , unusually named PMT, via email.

"I spoke to Ray Miller, Business Development Manager at Gibson the other day and he did speak positively of the whole Gibson/flood situation. He said that the actual production of guitars is up and running after quite a long layoff and that the tribute model will be the first model on that production. So, with a bit of luck we should see the guitars coming in within the next 4-6 weeks. I will however be keeping you in touch with any news/setbacks."

I know it doesn't add much, but for anyone else that's ordered in the uk, it might set your mind at rest...Oh yeah and Hello guys [biggrin]

cheers

G

Thanks, Sundog! Did you download those photos, individually, to a photo-share site, then transfer them here?

I just tried to "drag" them (the whole page) from the Gibson site, to this forum...as I have been able to do,

from certain pages or sites, before. BUT...All I got (as I stated) this time, was the verbage, and no photos.

So..???

CB

Hey' date=' I ordered my first Gibson yesterday (being quite a rickenbacker and burns guitar man). I just saw the gold top on my browser and had to order. Luckily I live in the Uk and their still taking orders. I received this bit of info today from my local guitar shop , unusually named PMT, via email.

[b']"I spoke to Ray Miller, Business Development Manager at Gibson the other day and he did speak positively of the whole Gibson/flood situation. He said that the actual production of guitars is up and running after quite a long layoff and that the tribute model will be the first model on that production. So, with a bit of luck we should see the guitars coming in within the next 4-6 weeks. I will however be keeping you in touch with any news/setbacks."[/b]

I know it doesn't add much, but for anyone else that's ordered in the uk, it might set your mind at rest...Oh yeah and Hello guys [biggrin]

cheers

G

It would be much appreciated if a Gibson Rep would drop by and confirm this.

in case you haven't noticed, the first post now says:

"Update 7/15/10.....WE ARE MAKING GUITARS!!!

Shipments to dealers will resume early August!"

and hi to everyone, I'm in for a Honey Burst over here in germany. [cool]

Patrick

60 made it out the door late April.

ALL FIVE FINISHES ARE NOW SOLD OUT!

*Please check with your favorite Gibson dealer to find out what they ordered.

Update 7/15/10.....WE ARE MAKING GUITARS!!!

Shipments to dealers will resume early August!

Good on you, Gibson...Glad to hear that! Please make them Great...We can wait! ;>)

CB

I guess I was fortunate enough to get one of the orginal 60 that left the factory before the flood ... a honeyburst. Got if from Sam Ash in Atlanta a week ago (they had 2 at their warehouse in Florida). It's very light' date=' as to be expected with a chambered body, but it sounds freakin' great (I'm a little biased because all I play are les paul juniors with P90s and the fact these things had P90s is the reason I wanted one)!! It played great right out of the box, have not touched the set-up at all. If I could afford it, I'd turn around and order another one!! And, no, I don't work for Gibson ... just wanted to give a review of a guitar that apparently there are so few of right now.

[/quote']

Well, they did have another. It is gone now. Headed for... HERE! [cool] Jack, can't thank you enough for letting this tidbit out (my wallet OTOH, is not that pleased with either of us at the moment- Lol). I know what you mean about the P 90's, just sent my new Robot Les Paul Junior Special in to Gibson for repair after playing it for a few days, the sound is incredible (had some vintage Gibsons with P 90's in the distant past also, no stranger to their sweet snarl).

I called Sam Ash, said "Wanted to check stock on a guitar, a guy on the internet says you have one in stock, which of course means absolutely nothing". Frank laughed. Then he checked his system. Nope. Not an advertised guitar, he said "wait, let me check something else-actually have three different things to check". To his surprise, there was one Worn Honey Burst. Bought it on the spot.

This one may end up as a catch and release, if my GT does come in from GC. Then again, I may just keep it (wouldn't be the first here to have two identical guitars in different finishes, would I? [biggrin] ). He checked, it's been sitting there all this time (since arriving in early May). Didn't advertise it (probably because of having so few) so no one knew they were there!

Before any of you call, I did have him check all finishes, this WAS the last one they had in stock (sorry, at least I'll post pics later in the week!). And if anyone is still jonesing for one of these, (especially a pre-flood guitar that is available NOW) I did check with Motor City Guitar (Waterford Mi.) and they STILL have that one Worn Ebony 50's Tribute in stock. Not sure how many others are hiding away in Dealers inventories, but as Gibson themselves said, about 60 got out before the flood. So that may in fact be the last of the pre-flood Studio 50's Tributes to be available.

in case you haven't noticed' date=' the first post now says:

"Update 7/15/10.....WE ARE MAKING GUITARS!!!

Shipments to dealers will resume early August!"

and hi to everyone, I'm in for a Honey Burst over here in germany. :)

Patrick[/quote']Great news!! Hadn't thought to go back there and check for updates. Maybe that Gold Top from GC will make the early estimate of 8-31 after all (or even arrive early!).

Welcome to the Forum, thanks for the update [cool] .

GC just cancelled my order about 10 minutes ago.

That was for a Gold Top, right? Not surprised (bummer though!). You said in an earlier post you'd ordered on the 16th.

I placed mine on the 12th or 13th, it was confirmed on Monday the 14th. When I placed it, I think I was 26th or 27th (I am positive it was a few before #30). They originally thought they'd be getting 30 pieces (in Gold Top). Last I heard, it was 36, though they were never certain. Maybe Gibson has now given them a firm number (or told them extras they'd hoped for weren't forthcoming?) Too bad this was a limited run, and not a regular production model. But there've been others who canceled orders. I'm sure if you hunt one it will appear eventually (still not a guaranty I'll get one either, though I am hopeful).

GC pulled the rug from underneath my feet and would not even allow me keep a backorder. I'm sure they knew a month ago when I placed the order they couldn't fill it. Oh well' date=' I can go back to saving for a R6 now. [/quote']

Just wait for all the Goldtop 50's tributes that will be on Ebay in September.

Just had my GT order pulled out as well by GC. I switched to a cherry burst...but who knows if I'll even see that one. I guess my cherry burst LP traditional will have a twin of sorts. If this doesn't work out, I'll have to drown my sorrows and order a 335. Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on the 335 vs. 339. The bigger body of the 335 doesn't bother me at all.

Just had my GT order pulled out as well by GC. I switched to a cherry burst...but who knows if I'll even see that one. I guess my cherry burst LP traditional will have a twin of sorts. If this doesn't work out, I'll have to drown my sorrows and order a 335. Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on the 335 vs. 339. The bigger body of the 335 doesn't bother me at all.

Never one to shy away from thread drift (:( ) I'll weigh in on the 335. I just found out about the 339 recently, and while it may be ideal for some, I've always loved the 335 and have zero interest in the 339. I will some day finally get a 335 too-wonderful and historic guitar!

To get back on topic, my Honey Burst Classic Antique (see my avatar) will have a "twin" of sorts too, with the HB 50's Tribute on it's way. But they are still VERY different, and I love the "plain" look of the "Worn" Honey Burst (see page 5 of this thread for some great pics of one here in my area).

I turned down the option for another color, as I am only interested in the goldtop. I still think it crazy GC was trying to sell me pro coverage on a guitar they were not going to sell to me. I am disappointed they thought it okay to oversale a model, but not surprised. Anyway, I have called another store and they are looking around to see if another one shows up, so we start again.

Well' date=' they [i']did [/i]have another. It is gone now. Headed for... HERE! :( Jack, can't thank you enough for letting this tidbit out (my wallet OTOH, is not that pleased with either of us at the moment- Lol). I know what you mean about the P 90's, just sent my new Robot Les Paul Junior Special in to Gibson for repair after playing it for a few days, the sound is incredible (had some vintage Gibsons with P 90's in the distant past also, no stranger to their sweet snarl).

I called Sam Ash, said "Wanted to check stock on a guitar, a guy on the internet says you have one in stock, which of course means absolutely nothing". Frank laughed. Then he checked his system. Nope. Not an advertised guitar, he said "wait, let me check something else-actually have three different things to check". To his surprise, there was one Worn Honey Burst. Bought it on the spot.

This one may end up as a catch and release, if my GT does come in from GC. Then again, I may just keep it (wouldn't be the first here to have two identical guitars in different finishes, would I? ;) ). He checked, it's been sitting there all this time (since arriving in early May). Didn't advertise it (probably because of having so few) so no one knew they were there!

Before any of you call, I did have him check all finishes, this WAS the last one they had in stock (sorry, at least I'll post pics later in the week!). And if anyone is still jonesing for one of these, (especially a pre-flood guitar that is available NOW) I did check with Motor City Guitar (Waterford Mi.) and they STILL have that one Worn Ebony 50's Tribute in stock. Not sure how many others are hiding away in Dealers inventories, but as Gibson themselves said, about 60 got out before the flood. So that may in fact be the last of the pre-flood Studio 50's Tributes to be available.

Great news!! Hadn't thought to go back there and check for updates. Maybe that Gold Top from GC will make the early estimate of 8-31 after all (or even arrive early!).

Welcome to the Forum, thanks for the update [cool] .

Glad I could help. Surprised you got it because the guy at Sam Ash told me the day I picked my up that the other one was also on its way to Atlanta to guy who called just after I did. If I'd known how good the thing was going to play and sound, T-Bone, you may have been reading how much I was enjoying my 2 Tributes!! :-)

Archived