Gibson Brands Forums

Introducing the Les Paul Studio 50’s Tribute – Limited Run from Gibson USA

Gibson USA

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Overall, not bad. Finish is good, but the plastics are really scratched up.

On my Ebony (pre-flood) only the pickguard was scratched - and that polished pretty much right out!

I was thinking I would get a GT or HB, but if it is worn too much, like ALL the plastics (the control covers?? sheesh!, or has a 3-piece (or more?? - sheesh again!) back I am passing. Thinking of going for a 56 RI instead.

Pics DAMMIT!! You know the rules bud! [flapper]

Yeah, yeah.... [flapper]

Unfortunately, I'm at work right now. Had to go to FedEx to pick it up, dropped it off at home and had about a half hour to play it. Then I had to come back to work. I'll post some pics this evening and see if I can't get some good closeups of the "distressed" plastics. The pickup covers look more like they were dragged down the side of concrete slab. Seriously... there's flash hanging off the side of the scratches. I honestly thought I got a messed up guitar. The neck pickup was stuck, pressed in against the body. Not having taken a pup out of it yet, and if it's like the bridge, they feel spring mounted. But the neck pickup is sitting skewed enough that I couldn't easily pop it back into position. Seems like the the screws and everything sort of floats in the cavity, but like I said, I'll need to get a closer look later.

In the few minutes I did get to play it, it was intonated dead on from the factory, action is fine, no buzzing that I could detect, relief is just how I like it, and the pups are not half bad at all. The finish on the body is nice, a perfect burst. I'm very pleased with that aspect of the guitar.

I was just a bit taken aback at the sight of the plastics.

Steve

Yeah, yeah.... [flapper]

Unfortunately, I'm at work right now. Had to go to FedEx to pick it up, dropped it off at home and had about a half hour to play it. Then I had to come back to work. I'll post some pics this evening and see if I can't get some good closeups of the "distressed" plastics. The pickup covers look more like they were dragged down the side of concrete slab. Seriously... there's flash hanging off the side of the scratches. I honestly thought I got a messed up guitar. The neck pickup was stuck, pressed in against the body. Not having taken a pup out of it yet, and if it's like the bridge, they feel spring mounted. But the neck pickup is sitting skewed enough that I couldn't easily pop it back into position. Seems like the the screws and everything sort of floats in the cavity, but like I said, I'll need to get a closer look later.

In the few minutes I did get to play it, it was intonated dead on from the factory, action is fine, no buzzing that I could detect, relief is just how I like it, and the pups are not half bad at all. The finish on the body is nice, a perfect burst. I'm very pleased with that aspect of the guitar.

I was just a bit taken aback at the sight of the plastics.

Steve

Well, I know someone in MA who would take that damaged guitar. Clearly it's causing mental duress, and you don't need that. [sneaky]

On my Ebony (pre-flood) only the pickguard was scratched - and that polished pretty much right out!

I was thinking I would get a GT or HB, but if it is worn too much, like ALL the plastics (the control covers?? sheesh!, or has a 3-piece (or more?? - sheesh again!) back I am passing. Thinking of going for a 56 RI instead.

Yup... all plastics scratched, and not as in well worn looking. Maybe, MAYBE if Edwards Scissorshands was the original owner, then and only then would it look like play wear. In my minds eye, I have images of some guy with a wire wheel on a grinder furiously cranking out distressed LP Studio 50s Tribute guitars. So far though, that's the only bad thing I'd have to say about it.

Okay, I'm going home. Time for pics and playing time.

Steve

So, then when we get guitars, are we gonna be disappointed about all the scratches on it, or the people that got one even think it was a damaged one and wanted to return it??

This is just being brought up now, after all the people got one?? That's weird. Are the pre-flood less distressed?? :-k

Can't go by when you ordered them, obviously. Mine was ordered in March,

according to my dealer...even before "I" knew about this model. Once I found

out, I reserved one, with my payment. It's still not here! They did get

a few '50's Tribute guitars, just not the "Gold Top's," Yet. They've told

me, with "Gibson," it could be any day, now...OR, not for months, yet. They

honestly don't know! My dealer is a good "Gibson Dealer," in the "Mom & Pop

store" sense. But, they don't compare, to Sam Ash, or Guitar Center/Musician's

Friend, in volume. They DO, however, beat them everytime, in service at and

after the sale, and price.

So, I'll wait...patiently, or otherwise. ;>)

CB

i ping lance every month or so about the two i put a deposit on. been waiting since May.

A new 50s tribute GT youtube.

And one of the comments left by some self anointed critic?

What a waste. Beautiful, hard to find guitar with P90s and this guy is playing crap rock on it. I can't even hear the tone through all that gain and wanking.

That kind of crap is precisely why I won't be posting any demos on YouTube (I love checking out the videos, but hey... if you don't like it, shut your pie hole and move on!). YouTube should allow the OP to delete offensive replies.

Here are my pre-flood and post-flood 50's Tributes together (both bought through Sam Ash).

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Seriously, those guitars are ****ing gorgeous. It's a tough call between GT and HB. Can you discern and playability or tone differences between them?

And ignore the jackasses on YouTube.

I do ignore them, but they still shouldn't be permitted the freedom to trash someones work (constructive criticism is another thing). I left the guy a positive comment a couple hours before the jerk chimed in. And the guy who posted the video I'm nearly certain I recognize his purchase story from MLPF.

As to similarities, differences, etc., I've still not had the time to really do a head to head evaluation, I WILL tomorrow (free time today was eaten up hauling the LP's up and out into the heat [scared] (though a bit overcast, the lighting would be better with direct sun), and sorting, downloading, resizing and uploading pictures... (group shots in the group shot thread, also have some of the Honeybursts together).

I've now played both pre-flood and post-flood versions.

Pre-flood cherry burst has different wording on 2 of the knobs, had more scratches on the pickguard, and was a bit pingy at the nut.

Post-flood gold top had the back plate scratched up and was set up better, even in tune out of the box. Intonation is spot-on.

Frankly, the wear on these doesn't bother me in the least. I have read that some folks are having issues with the scratching and whatnot, and that's a shame because you can't really send these back for a replacement as you could with non-limited editions. I say do your best to just like the one you get and get it set up by a tech if necessary, and focus on how it plays and sounds. Just my 2 cents.

Gibson cases are available pretty regularly on eBay for $110 to $135 or so (either used in great shape or blemished is common). I just bought this one for my Gold Top a couple of days ago (should be here in less than a week I hope). I got this for $101.01 plus shipping, which was $30. TBH, after my last attempt, Gibson cases was the only option I seriously considered.

I bought one of these and sent it back, not at all impressed with the quality, the fact that it was a bit different than shown, and mostly the fact that it didn't properly fit a Les Paul despite the description. Doesn't have a latch on the back side either, and avoid any that don't show a pic with the guitar in it so you can evaluate the fit. Fortunately, I was able to get a full refund, including return shipping.

This one actually looked sort of appealing to me, haven't seen it in person though. The price seems good at a bit under $100 shipped. I'd like it a lot better if there were an additional neck cradle on the other end of the accessory pocket like there is in the Gibson case.

I received my Gator case (Model GC-LPS) from MF today. It's a great case for under $100. It's not quite as nice but it looks like better protection than the two Gibson USA cases I have. My Gibson LP fits it perfectly. No wiggle at all and double neck supports. Very light weight too.

I do ignore them, but they still shouldn't be permitted the freedom to trash someones work (constructive criticism is another thing). I left the guy a positive comment a couple hours before the jerk chimed in. And the guy who posted the video I'm nearly certain I recognize his purchase story from MLPF.

As to similarities, differences, etc., I've still not had the time to really do a head to head evaluation, I WILL tomorrow (free time today was eaten up hauling the LP's up and out into the heat [scared] (though a bit overcast, the lighting would be better with direct sun), and sorting, downloading, resizing and uploading pictures... (group shots in the group shot thread, also have some of the Honeybursts together).

Yeah, it bums me out that people put their self out there on the YouTube and assholes trash them...but that's what the internet is about, I guess.

I'll be curious to hear if there are any differences you can discern or not...not neccessarily because they're pre- and post- flood, just because they're two different guitars of the same model.

A few years ago, I really wanted to get a KS-336, but I couldn't swallow the price tag...one of these GT's will put a smile on my face.

And if you're still waiting on GC and MF to deliver, I say be pro-active and hunt one of these out on your own. I know it may be impossible if you have to use the MF or GC credit card, but you may be out of luck for awhile.

Believe me, I undertsand the frustration as I was at the front of the MF line (ordered 6/12) and I decided to screw it and go the Sam Ash route like T-Bone and the others. I found one and cancelled MF the day before the expected delivery date, and it turns out it was a good call since they didn't get in any of these after all.

Yeah, it bums me out that people put their self out there on the YouTube and assholes trash them...but that's what the internet is about, I guess.

I'll be curious to hear if there are any differences you can discern or not...not neccessarily because they're pre- and post- flood, just because they're two different guitars of the same model.

A few years ago, I really wanted to get a KS-336, but I couldn't swallow the price tag...one of these GT's will put a smile on my face.

I can say on my initial impression, the GT seemed to have a bit of a different feel and sound, but that may all be due to a different set up. Detailed comparison tomorrow, I swear!

And one of the comments left by some self anointed critic?

That kind of crap is precisely why I won't be posting any demos on YouTube (I love checking out the videos, but hey... if you don't like it, shut your pie hole and move on!). YouTube should allow the OP to delete offensive replies.

Here are my pre-flood and post-flood 50's Tributes together (both bought through Sam Ash).

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Beautiful collection there TB!!! NiCE!!! When did you get the GT and which Sam Ash did you get it from? Thats a great collection indeed. I take it you canceled your pre order from GC?

Well I'm passing along a good deed. Folks, I have first hand good news. Sam Ash, Hollywood CA just got another Gold Top in the box and one HOney Burst in stock as I speak. Call your local Sam Ash to have them drop ship it to your door. Its free 2 day shipping. Ask your local Sam Ash to arrange it. Its free Two day shipping folks!!! It seems like Sam Ash has been getting the first batch of shipments of these babies. Cancel your pre order and go the sam ash.

According to the QC paper work that came with my GT that I purchased yesterday, it was quality inspected on 8/24/10. Which means it was shipped on that date or days later and Sam Ash got the guitar on Moday, 8/30/10. This is proof that Sam Ash has been getting theirs way earlier than many of the music vendors that has your pre orders. Even with the pre orders, you are not guaranteed to get yours I'm sorry to say.

p9010191.jpg

By bluesguitar65 at 2010-09-01

p9010190.jpg

HEAVY! But, what does it sound like, without all the distortion,

and harmonics. Clean, Jazzy, Blues, Country "chicken pickin'"

stuff...you know? ;>)

CB

Sounds great clean. I did the distortion thing as P90s are known also as rock pickups, hence Pete Townsend at Leeds, and Pat Travers with his Les Paul special w/ P90s.

Well I'm passing along a good deed. Folks, I have first hand good news. Sam Ash, Hollywood CA just got another Gold Top in the box and one HOney Burst in stock as I speak. Call your local Sam Ash to have them drop ship it to your door. Its free 2 day shipping. Ask your local Sam Ash to arrange it. Its free Two day shipping folks!!! It seems like Sam Ash has been getting the first batch of shipments of these babies. Cancel your pre order and go the sam ash.

According to the QC paper work that came with my GT that I purchased yesterday, it was quality inspected on 8/24/10. Which means it was shipped on that date or days later and Sam Ash got the guitar on Moday, 8/30/10. This is proof that Sam Ash has been getting theirs way earlier than many of the music vendors that has your pre orders. Even with the pre orders, you are not guaranteed to get yours I'm sorry to say.

p9010191.jpg

p9010190.jpg

I just called Sam Ash, and they wanted $1050 for it with tax and shipping, even though I don't live in CA.

Archived