Gibson Brands Forums

Introducing the Les Paul Studio 50’s Tribute – Limited Run from Gibson USA

Gibson USA

My Gold Top came with a switch that was noisy. I made it worse when I tried to clean it out (it wasn't dirty) and ended up screwing up the contacts. It had been on the floor in the NYC Sam Ash for around 24 hours.

The Honeyburst was new, in box in Sam Ash's warehouse. It has some noise in the switch, not as bad as the Gold Top was. I know there were two others here with issues, Scott and one other (don't recall who that was, had the same issue I ended up with).

Starting a new thread to cover switches because I learned a couple more things today.

They had just taken mine out of the box and hung it up on the wall when I called the Richmond, VA store. Have been fiddling around with the toggle switch some more. It's not a noisy or scratch pot situation so I don't think contact cleaner is going to help. I can get some sound out of the bridge pickup when I lightly push in the toggle switch but it disappears when I take my finger off of the switch.

I sent Gibson Customer Service an e-mail that they haven't responded to yet. There are are 2 authorized warranty repair centers in Maryland......both over an hour's drive from where I live. Going to take a peek at the actual switch and see if I can see anything obvious. Might need a new switch, might just need to be rewired? Not sure if I'm up to messing around with a soldering iron myself? Can't think it would cost that much out of pocket for the local shop to replace the switch and/or resolder any loose connections. Have to figure out what 2-3 hours of driving time and gas is worth vs eating the cost of new switch and paying someone to do the work that knows what they're doing.

I'll keep you posted.

Rob

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taking a further look after contact cleaner didn't fix it is how I messed mine up. They are rather "touchy" or fragile. Once you mess with it at all, I'd say you own it. I'd leave it alone and let Gibson take care of it if I were you, unless you want to pay a Tech to swap out the switch like I did (see my other thread).

Actually had mine working when it was hanging out of the switch cavity 5 times. Each time I tried to replace it in the opening, it stopped working again. Let a pro replace it one way or another. JMO.

Removed the cover and took a look at the switch assembly. Nothing stood out as something obvious to me. Didn't want to remove it out of the guitar for a closer look as I'm no tech and I actually wanted to get in some playing time.

Yes Blackflag, I realize it's under warranty. I can make a 3-hour round trip to one of the 2 warranty repair shops in Maryland to have it repaired under warranty for free and hope the guy will make the repair while I wait so I don't have to make 2 separate trips. Or I can pay out of pocket to ship it back to Gibson and have them repair and get it back who knows when and hope nothing happens to it during shipment there or back to me.

A new Switchcraft 3-way toggle switch will cost approx me $20 and another $20 or so for a professional to install it. Probably least path of resistance, less risk of something happening to my guitar in transit and I don't have to give my guitar up for an extended period of time. Maybe Gibson Customer Service can be talked into just sending me a new switch at no cost and then all I'll have to do is get it installed? That would be ideal.

It sounds great...I like it more every time I play it. I've pretty much gotten over the little chip in the finish on the front. And it weighs 8.5 pounds if any is interested in that info.

Removed the cover and took a look at the switch assembly. Nothing stood out as something obvious to me. Didn't want to remove it out of the guitar for a closer look as I'm no tech and I actually wanted to get in some playing time.

Yes Blackflag, I realize it's under warranty. I can make a 3-hour round trip to one of the 2 warranty repair shops in Maryland to have it repaired under warranty for free and hope the guy will make the repair while I wait so I don't have to make 2 separate trips. Or I can pay out of pocket to ship it back to Gibson and have them repair and get it back who knows when and hope nothing happens to it during shipment there or back to me.

A new Switchcraft 3-way toggle switch will cost approx me $20 and another $20 or so for a professional to install it. Probably least path of resistance, less risk of something happening to my guitar in transit and I don't have to give my guitar up for an extended period of time. Maybe Gibson Customer Service can be talked into just sending me a new switch at no cost and then all I'll have to do is get it installed? That would be ideal.

It sounds great...I like it more every time I play it. I've pretty much gotten over the little chip in the finish on the front. And it weighs 8.5 pounds if any is interested in that info.

A chip? I hope it's not that bad. Did it come that way?

P.S.

I know a place where you can get a switch for only $ 3.00.rolleyes.gif

Eight and a half pounds? I thought these guys were chambered. I haven't seen any complaints about weight so it must be comfortable at 8.5.

I would say that's about right. Mine on a digital scale says 8.6pounds.

Who knows how accurate my scale is?

It really does feel REAL light. It has a lot of loudness and sustain as well.

My first experience with something this light, but I'm happy except way to high set-up and switch, but all will be well soon...

All in all, I like it quite bait. Faster than I first thought.eusa_dance.gif

Yep, I linked that page a few pages back. The one in the guitar is the left column, second from top (price there $11.79). I bought it's twin off the wall branded "Allparts" at GC for $14 and change. $20 to switch them out, with tax just over $35. Well worth it, no shipping, no hassles... arranged in advance to have it done while I drooled over the R7, R8 and R9 up on the wall (among others). Plus in my case, I in fact made my switch worse, so at that point, it wasn't Gibson's responsibility.

Now enough with the damned switches!!! [flapper]

There is NEWS on the 50's Tribute front! I read earlier tonight over on the MLPF of one or (I think it was two?) Members posting they'd gotten shipping notices from MF. Yep, finally, at long last (gasp! What's it been a week? [laugh] ) another online Seller has received and is shipping some 50's Tributes! [woot]

What's your favorite flavor guys? I can't choose...

orig.jpg

Yep, I linked that page a few pages back. The one in the guitar is the left column, second from top (price there $11.79). I bought it's twin off the wall branded "Allparts" at GC for $14 and change. $20 to switch them out, with tax just over $35. Well worth it, no shipping, no hassles... arranged in advance to have it done while I drooled over the R7, R8 and R9 up on the wall (among others). Plus in my case, I in fact made my switch worse, so at that point, it wasn't Gibson's responsibility.

Now enough with the damned switches!!! [flapper]

There is NEWS on the 50's Tribute front! I read earlier tonight over on the MLPF of one or (I think it was two?) Members posting they'd gotten shipping notices from MF. Yep, finally, at long last (gasp! What's it been a week? [laugh] ) another online Seller has received and is shipping some 50's Tributes! [woot]

What's your favorite flavor guys? I can't choose...

orig.jpg

"Gold Top," for me. I already have a nice "Honeyburst" Classic. ;>)

CB

Been playing my 50s tribute all day, and comparing it with my 2008 Standard. One thing I notice is how versatile the P90 pickups are. When selecting different pickup configuration, there is a very distinct tone between pickups. Anyone else observe this? Also, luckily my pickup selector and pots does not have any noise as some are experiencing with their new 50s tribute.

Check it out if you hear what I hear.

She came in from SAD. No issues. Has some very light scratched on the plastics. The neck is thicker than the one I demo'd at my local Sam Ash Music store on Wed, but it's nice and straight, frets all feel good. The setup was high out of the box, esp the low E side, dropped it down, had to raise the stopbar a little to clear the bridge on the high E side, checked the neck relief and reintonated a little, lowered the pickups too and she's "GOLDEN". Mine has a 4 piece body and a 1 piece top, about 8.5 lbs. The neck has a little cross flame go'n on. The switch works fine as does all the other controls. Took off the pick guard and put it back on, def looks better with it. All in all very satified.

She came in from SAD. No issues. Has some very light scratched on the plastics. The neck is thicker than the one I demo'd at my local Sam Ash Music store on Wed, but it's nice and straight, frets all feel good. The setup was high out of the box, esp the low E side, dropped it down, had to raise the stopbar a little to clear the bridge on the high E side, checked the neck relief and reintonated a little, lowered the pickups too and she's "GOLDEN". Mine has a 4 piece body and a 1 piece top, about 8.5 lbs. The neck has a little cross flame go'n on. The switch works fine as does all the other controls. Took off the pick guard and put it back on, def looks better with it. All in all very satified.

Please post pics!

SunDogAZ

Twelve pounds! Man, I think that's heavier than the Les Paul Recording model I had 30 years ago. That is heavy. Your Tribute is lighter than a couple others listed on this thread, one at 8 and one at 8.5.

Yea, she is hefty. Here she is with her cousins.

p7220022.jpg

By bluesguitar65 at 2009-09-05

Here are my other guitars with p90s.

p1010095.jpg

p6080176.jpg

My favorite les paul, early 2008 Standard (model before 2008 upgrade model).

p6140180.jpg

By bluesguitar65 at 2009-09-11

Archived