Gibson Brands Forums

Introducing the Les Paul Studio 50’s Tribute – Limited Run from Gibson USA

Gibson USA

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a pic of my guitar. I played it finally and it sounds wonderful, this is my first experience with P90's, and compared to my other Les Paul with humbuckers there is a big difference. The chords sound so full and clear, leads sing beautifully and the sustain is great. Maybe it has to do with the chambered body, and the weight of the guitar. Heavy is not necessarily better in my mind now. This guitar is really great value, I should have never cancelled my original GC order and kept it or sold it. Just wanted to share my thoughts.

post-25116-095269800 1284090287_thumb.jpg

WAHOO! I picked my HSB up from Sam Ash last night, really nice people there, threw in a free set of my favorite strings with the guitar (yea, I know it's like getting a free bottle of washer fluid with a new car), but the thought was there. LOVE IT!! I do have one question though, the tail-piece is really high off the body compared to some other LP types I have (Agile AL series), those are nearly flush to the body. And between mine and the pics I see here, the tail-piece is nearly 1" off the body.

Is that normal?

(Pics coming tonight. The fretboard is STUNNING, a swirl rosewood pattern, flawless fretwork and I gotta say these tuners are some of the best I've ever used as far as their smoothness and ratio.

I do have one question though, the tail-piece is really high off the body compared to some other LP types I have (Agile AL series), those are nearly flush to the body. And between mine and the pics I see here, the tail-piece is nearly 1" off the body.

Is that normal?

The Stop tail should be set according to the bridge height, which on these Tributes 'all' seem to be a bit high. You don't want too much angle from the saddles down to the stop tail - the strings should just clear the back corner of the bridge.

Oh, and Congrats! Enjoy!

The Stop tail should be set according to the bridge height, which on these Tributes 'all' seem to be a bit high. You don't want too much angle from the saddles down to the stop tail - the strings should just clear the back corner of the bridge.

Oh, and Congrats! Enjoy!

Mine is, was VERY high. I'm really surprised that Q.C. would even let it pass!? I could use it as a steel with a slide. I don't know ANYBODY that would even come close to playing it with the set up so high. Tail piece, all the 9 yards just SO far off!msp_thumbdn.gifmsp_angry.gif

some of you guys are saying they are 3 piece bodys, how many is a traditional les, are they sturdy as the traditional even though are 3 pieces [confused] B)

I have a two piece and a three piece. The main line of Les Pauls are I'm pretty certain generally one piece bodies. My Classic Antique is. But I'm not worried one bit about the strength of the body. If it ever breaks, I'm sure that would involve the neck... and an impact to cause it.

And IMO, they resonate great too (might have something to do with the chambered bodies [wink] ). I frequently grab one from the rack and play unplugged for a few minutes, always happy with the sound. At the price these guitars sell for, there are things that need to be done, corners to be cut. Anyone not expecting that is simply kidding themselves (I'll say again, you're not buying an R6 for $849, or however many £ they are selling for in the UK). Overall quality and sound of these is good, but I wouldn't pay double the street price for one. I would for two though. In fact I did :lol: .

Mine is, was VERY high. I'm really surprised that Q.C. would even let it pass!? I could use it as a steel with a slide. I don't know ANYBODY that would even come close to playing it with the set up so high. Tail piece, all the 9 yards just SO far off!msp_thumbdn.gifmsp_angry.gif

I had my 335 setup a couple months ago and the tail piece is very low compared to the 50's trib. So is the action of my 335. But I kinda like the setup of my 50's trib. [thumbup]

some of you guys are saying they are 3 piece bodys, how many is a traditional les, are they sturdy as the traditional even though are 3 pieces

My 50s is 2-piece, my 09 Trad is 1-piece, I 'm pretty sure my 1st '08 Trad was 2-piece. One of the GT 50S I saw has 4 pieces.

All should be just as solid, but the Traditional will most likely be heavier (weight-relieved vs chambered) so will FEEL sturdier & more substantial.

As for bridge height, all that should depend on the neck angle. The 1st couple 50s I saw I thought were too high, but then I saw a Class 5 that looked way high too - the bridge had to be a good 3/8" up those spindly studs. Too much so for a $$$ guitar like that...but someone bought it, so maybe it's just me! I do prefer 'em lower, more room for adjustment and the bridges look better flush with the stud tops.

My 50s is 2-piece, my 09 Trad is 1-piece, I 'm pretty sure my 1st '08 Trad was 2-piece. One of the GT 50S I saw has 4 pieces.

On the 4 piece, was it like they started with a blank made from 4 pieces? I've seen one that some consider a 4 piece, but to me it is a 3 piece. They simply cut through one of the joints when doing the waist cut, so the joint stops and then starts again the other side of the waist. I can see where some would consider that a 4 piece I guess, but being a Carpenter I tend to think of it as it is built. I've yet to see one where the body started with a blank made from 4 separate pieces.

Hey guys, any suggestions as far as pickup height for our Tributes? I know about the rules of thumb, but maybe there are already good recommendations out there, since it seems we all had to do some kind of setup to these babies. As far as action goes, mine is so responsive, very few string buzz even lowering as much as possible the action.

Well, I've been playing the ebony 50s Trib I received Wednesday from M123 for a couple of days now and--surprise--I love it. It sounds great, plays well, set up was great out of the box. I haven't done an A/B with the Gold Top I picked up last week at the Chicago area Sam Ash, but my sense is that it sounds and plays pretty much the same. If there's a downside it's that it's kept the GT out of my hands too much the last couple of days. The ebony seems to have less "distress" to the plastics than the GT--less on the pickguard and cavity cover and none on the pickup covers. There is some "wear" around the edges and also on the neck.

Here's an attempt at posting some pics:

post-16733-021560400 1284150180_thumb.jpg

post-16733-075388500 1284150374_thumb.jpg post-16733-035278700 1284150393_thumb.jpg

Three-piece bodies on both of these. On the shot of the ebony back you can see a bit of the "wear" around the edges.

post-16733-051994600 1284150474_thumb.jpg post-16733-065634200 1284150564_thumb.jpg

You can see a little of the edge "wear" on the front of the ebony here:

post-16733-002972500 1284150676_thumb.jpg

I tried to get shots showing the "wear" on the neck of the ebony and the "scuff" on the bridge pickup of the GT, but I'm not sure whether you can make them out. Anyway, here they are:

post-16733-062147800 1284150756_thumb.jpg post-16733-095048900 1284150778_thumb.jpg

Mother****er, why do all the guitars I keep seeing have 3+ piece bodies when they clearly advertised this at the beginning with 2 piece bodies?

This is complete bullshit. They should give up the few dollars they're saving by doing 3 piece to make me, and others, happy. What the hell. There should be no Les Pauls with 3 piece bodies.

Hey everybody! Got my Sam Ash Cherry Burst finally. Sent from Tampa to Reno on a truck...no damage that I can see. She is light as a feather...can't be over 7 pounds! I can't tell how many pieces the back is...I can only see a very light line down the center, so I'm guessing it's at least a 2 piece, but it is REALLY well done. The top is beautiful, with a very slight line down the center...looks like it could even be a solid one piece top, but probably not. Fretboard is a tad dry (they always are!), frets are done VERY well for a faded/worn budget model. I had a faded SG that was far more "pokey" on the frets.

Now for the bad news... the switch is bad. It crackles when you change settings,and when set on the bridge pup, the signal faded in and out on me.

Also...the fretboard in general is nice, but it looks like there is a bit of space under where it sits on top of the body. My Fenders are like that, but I've never noticed that on a Gibson before.

Anyway, cosmetically, she's about a 10 for a worn/faded model. Yeah, the red is quite RED, but I'm not minding it.

The switch I'll have to deal with eventually. And the fretboard, if it really is an issue will be covered under warranty.

So for $849 delivered to my door, I'm one happy LP owner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [thumbup]

Hey everybody! Got my Sam Ash Cherry Burst finally. Sent from Tampa to Reno on a truck...no damage that I can see. She is light as a feather...can't be over 7 pounds! I can't tell how many pieces the back is...I can only see a very light line down the center, so I'm guessing it's at least a 2 piece, but it is REALLY well done. The top is beautiful, with a very slight line down the center...looks like it could even be a solid one piece top, but probably not. Fretboard is a tad dry (they always are!), frets are done VERY well for a faded/worn budget model. I had a faded SG that was far more "pokey" on the frets.

Now for the bad news... the switch is bad. It crackles when you change settings,and when set on the bridge pup, the signal faded in and out on me.

Also...the fretboard in general is nice, but it looks like there is a bit of space under where it sits on top of the body. My Fenders are like that, but I've never noticed that on a Gibson before.

Anyway, cosmetically, she's about a 10 for a worn/faded model. Yeah, the red is quite RED, but I'm not minding it.

The switch I'll have to deal with eventually. And the fretboard, if it really is an issue will be covered under warranty.

So for $849 delivered to my door, I'm one happy LP owner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [thumbup]

Join the club. There are few of us out here that have the same issue. Don't surprise me none. I am thinking Gibson had a bad batch of something, switches, maybe wire poss.

I would imagine a soft cloth and rubbing compound would help lots, just have not tried it myself yet.eusa_think.gif Isn't that funny, Gibson scratches them, we try to fix what they did!

Some Meguiar's Mirror Glaze 9 Swirl Remover 2.0 did a nice job in de-hazing the control cavity cover. Yup, Gibson scratches 'em up and we polish them down. The scratches are still there, but it's a lot clearer now.

m0916.jpg

Oh yea, and this is really good stuff if you do any guitar refinishing, after the wet sanding this stuff does a great job in getting a nice polish to the finish.

Some Meguiar's Mirror Glaze 9 Swirl Remover 2.0 did a nice job in de-hazing the control cavity cover. Yup, Gibson scratches 'em up and we polish them down. The scratches are still there, but it's a lot clearer now.

m0916.jpg

Oh yea, and this is really good stuff if you do any guitar refinishing, after the wet sanding this stuff does a great job in getting a nice polish to the finish.

I'd like to see the results of polishing the whole guitar up.

Here's your Friday night math lesson. What's an "order of magnitude"? wikipedia says it's "the class of scale or magnitude of any amount, where each class contains values of a fixed ratio to the class preceding it."

Huh? Not getting that? Try this.

You can now get a Epiphone 56 LP for $399 (http://guitars.music...itar?sku=518320).

The Gibson 56 Reissue is $3999 (http://guitars.music...itar?sku=517259).

That's the difference that an order of magnitude makes. Got it? [wink]

Sorry, it was a long week and I'm still waiting for my GT to arrive.

Join the club. There are few of us out here that have the same issue. Don't surprise me none. I am thinking Gibson had a bad batch of something, switches, maybe wire poss.

My switch problem was taken care of...details on the infamous "Switch" thread. Short answer: Switch was removed, given the once over and then reinstalled and like magic, everything works as it should. All covered under warranty.

Rob

Archived