Gibson Brands Forums

I got to try $1350 headphones today

dem00n

It was amazing...i felt like i was there.

Like they were playing in front of me.

This review is pretty good.

http://gizmodo.com/5525762/ultimate-ears-18-pro-reviewed-what-do-1350-earbuds-sound-like

Are they worth it?

No' date=' mabye if they were $300...sure. [/quote']

Headphones are only as good as the recording and the equipment that youre plugged into.

Anything over a few hundred dollars is a waste.

Headphones are only as good as the recording and the equipment that youre plugged into.

Anything over a few hundred dollars is a waste.

Oh not this arguement again.

Im staying out of this one. :D

I love headphones. Never spent that much though. Maybe $300 for my Beats by Dre. But those are more for fun, not for function. I use some Audio Technica's for more accurate recording. Personally, I don't see how someone could justify a $1350 price tag on "in-ear" buds. That's more than half of what my Gibson cost right there lol. Priorities people!!! :D

I love headphones. Never spent that much though. Maybe $300 for my Beats by Dre. But those are more for fun' date=' not for function. I use some Audio Technica's for more accurate recording. Personally, I don't see how someone could justify a $1350 price tag on "in-ear" buds. That's more than half of what my Gibson cost right there lol. Priorities people!!! :)[/quote']

I have heard cd's played on a sound system worth over 50K... Not mine (as if)

Sounded great, but not much better than my simple home system.

Theres only so much information that a cd can give. A big expensive system isnt going to

make things appear that are not there to begin with.

From the late 60's through the 70's, and well into the 80's, the recording studio industry standard headphones were the Koss Pro 4 AA (sold for about $40 or $50). I have kept a pair through most of that time, with a couple of "factory rebuilds".

And guess what, they are now making "re-issues", imagine that.

The technology to process sound has far surpassed the ability of the human hear to hear the difference (and yes, you can quote me on that).

The quality of headphones makes a big difference especially pushed through good equipment. I listen to music every night when my wife is asleep and I have arguably one of the best headphones made, a set of Grado GS1000i's and push it through a dedicated Grado headphone preamp. The sound is amazing and probably more lifelike than any other method of reproducing recorded music.

It's not a waste of money if you use and truly enjoy something no matter what the cost. It also depends a lot on your level of disposable income and interests if you can afford them and enjoy them why not?

No thanks' date=' I had a banana on the train.

Sorry, im using your logic.[/quote']

Does anyone get my unique brand of sarcasm on this forum?

You did indeed say that anything over a few hundred dollars is a waste in a seperate sentence from the previous one and anything pertains to anything in existence including the Gibsons over a few hundred dollars you own. I have no intention of ruining your fun and will leave this topic upon request.

Demoon - yes they're worth it.

With that sort of gear though, you'd want to be using the best possible source and amplifier. Using these with an ipod would be a waste. On the other hand, using them with a very good DAC and headphone amplifier, would give you unbelievable results.

Out of interest, what was the source component used when you tried them?

Demoon - yes they're worth it.

With that sort of gear though' date=' you'd want to be using the best possible source and amplifier. Using these with an ipod would be a waste. On the other hand, using them with a very good DAC and headphone amplifier, would give you unbelievable results.

Out of interest, what was the source component used when you tried them?[/quote']

I didnt try it on a MP3, i tried it on comptuer speakers.

Creative Labs GigaWorks T20W Series II PC Speakers to be exact.

HD speakers, very nice.

Whats an MP3 with a good DAC?

I didnt try it on a MP3' date=' i tried it on comptuer speakers.

Creative Labs GigaWorks T20W Series II PC Speakers to be exact.

HD speakers, very nice.

Whats an MP3 with a good DAC? [/quote']

MP3 is compressed music, its good, but not cd quality.

If you want high end headphones at least use high end recordings.

Archived