Gibson Brands Forums

Mesa Question

deepblue

It means one thing: an unusable wall of mush.

[lol]

Sorry. Nah, dual rectifier, in the originally-used sense means that it is switchable between a tube and a transistor rectifier--the rectifier being the component that converts alternating current to direct current in a circuit. The triple rectifier, however, uses a different naming convention: as opposed to being named based on the number of different types of rectification, it's based around the number of tube rectifiers, specifically, that it utilizes. The difference in rectification methods produces just a subtle difference in feel: SS rectification is said to have a more immediate response and a more pronounced attack, where tube rectification is said to have a smoother and more lively feel. So really, the rectifier thing is really more a way of customizing feel. I can see how it would be useful.

And as to the whole "wall of mush" comment, it's definitely just me poking fun at how the Mesa/Boogie amps are often used, rather than what they are. I've been gassing for a Mesa Roadster for quite some time--but I'm not sure if I'd know how to use it. They're a little intimidating, if you ask me.

the dual & triple refer to the number of channels they both have the option of switching between a solid state and tube rectifier.

Good answer, although dual recs now have 3 channels and the single rec has 2.

Great amps btw

Sorry. Nah' date=' dual rectifier, in the originally-used sense means that it is switchable between a tube and a transistor rectifier--the rectifier being the component that converts alternating current to direct current in a circuit. The triple rectifier, however, uses a different naming convention: as opposed to being named based on the number of different [i']types[/i] of rectification, it's based around the number of tube rectifiers, specifically, that it utilizes. The difference in rectification methods produces just a subtle difference in feel: SS rectification is said to have a more immediate response and a more pronounced attack, where tube rectification is said to have a smoother and more lively feel. So really, the rectifier thing is really more a way of customizing feel. I can see how it would be useful.

XD is absolutely correct!- the Dual Rectifier Series has both a solid state diode & a Tube rectifier (except for the Blue Angel), you can switch between the two modes. The Triple Rectifier has 3 tube rectifiers to handle the 150 watt load.

It means one thing: an unusable wall of mush.

[confused]

Sorry. Nah' date=' dual rectifier, in the originally-used sense means that it is switchable between a tube and a transistor rectifier--the rectifier being the component that converts alternating current to direct current in a circuit. The triple rectifier, however, uses a different naming convention: as opposed to being named based on the number of different [i']types[/i] of rectification, it's based around the number of tube rectifiers, specifically, that it utilizes. The difference in rectification methods produces just a subtle difference in feel: SS rectification is said to have a more immediate response and a more pronounced attack, where tube rectification is said to have a smoother and more lively feel. So really, the rectifier thing is really more a way of customizing feel. I can see how it would be useful.

And as to the whole "wall of mush" comment, it's definitely just me poking fun at how the Mesa/Boogie amps are often used, rather than what they are. I've been gassing for a Mesa Roadster for quite some time--but I'm not sure if I'd know how to use it. They're a little intimidating, if you ask me.

Have you thought about a Mark series amp? My Mark IV is very dynamic with lots of clarity.

The new Mark V sounds incredible as well. I like the Marks better than the Rec.

I have 2 Mesa's. I like the sound but too many controls. My son is using both of them.

Craig

[confused] I know what you mean. I went to a Mark IV from years of using Marshall 2203 single channels.

It took me some time to get it all dialed in and I still only use one channel (lead ch) on it.

Eventually, I plan to setup ch 1 & 2 as well.

I thought it was rectumfier?

Anyway' date=' dual is Nickelback sound and triple is über Nickelback sound.

Hope that cleared things up.[/quote']

That killed it for me right there! lol

I dont mind them untill whats his name starts singing.....nooooo!

I have 2 Mesa's. I like the sound but too many controls. My son is using both of them.

Craig

With any amp that is an instant turn off for me and I walk away without even getting a guitar near it. I don't need an amp that requires a masters in engineering to operate.

That killed it for me right there! lol

I dont mind them untill whats his name starts singing.....nooooo!

And I think the Rectumifer line comes pre-EQ'd with the mids scooped.

Mesas have a lot of knobs but when you look closely those controls are nothing complicated.

My Mesa amp has Gain, Treble, Mid, Bass, Master and Reverb for each channel which is a must for me. I set every channel easily even when each channel has 2 voicings each.

Contour is the only unusual knob, basically an equalizer in a single knob.

Switching between 5w and 30w, if you don't know what that means go back to the drawing board.

Mesas are not for plug and play players, although you could simply leaving your setting the same all the time.

I personally enjoy knowing how my amplifer works and what it can do and the manual that comes with Mesas get you on your way.

Mesas have a lot of knobs but when you look closely those controls are nothing complicated.

Yeah, I never understood what it is that is supposed to be so complicated about Mesas. The controls all makes sense to me. The only complaint I've had with some models is due to lack of space, really. Knobs being too tight together and with a mini switch inbetween them somewhere, and if you want to change that particular setting then sorry, that knob is on the back of the amp. But it's not a huge problem or anything.

All in all, whatever learning curve there might be, the versatility makes up for it. For me anyway.

All in all' date=' whatever learning curve there might be, the versatility makes up for it. For me anyway.[/quote']

Yup, the only amp I'll upgrade from my Mark IV would be the Mark V or whatever model is after that because I see myself with the Mark IV for the foreseeable future.

Well, the thing about the knobs and switches is that, yeah, there are a lot of them, but they all make sense and they all have functions. Also, I feel like once you know how it works and you get everything set the way you like it, then it's a system that really works well. I mean, from what I can tell they're pretty versatile amps.

I don't know--I'm conflicted. On one hand I like the idea of simplicity (i.e. one volume and two/three tone knobs,) but on the other hand I appreciate the apparent versatility of the Mesa amps. I don't know--right now I've just got a pretty pathetic Marshall practice amp--it sounds bad regardless of what I do with it.

Yup' date=' the only amp I'll upgrade from my Mark IV would be the Mark V or whatever model is after that because I see myself with the Mark IV for the foreseeable future.

[/quote']

I love the Mark IV. Years a go the guy who showed me what a lead was had a Mesa Boogie Mark IV 1X12 Combo. Is yours a Combo or a Head?

Archived